The Student Room Group

7h revision too much? GCSE

I've got an exam week coming up in 2 months and honestly, my grades are really bad. I really want to do well because I've done badly in the past exam weeks, and mocks, and since it's going to be teacher assessed grades, I need to do really really well. I'm not doing 7h a day consistently, it's more like 2/3h on weekdays, 5/6h on weekends, and then during the Easter holidays, it's about 7h a day. I want to do well but I don't want to burn myself out. Is it too much?
Not too much at all. I recommend doing two 4 hour time blocks by doing 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 2Hour Break - then repeat. I aim for like 6-8 hours of work per day and I do 2 of these time blocks which is honestly the only way I can cope haha. Just say you woke up at 7:00, started at 8:00 - 12:15, have a break for 2 hours, and then start again at 14:15 - 18:30 - then chill for the entire evening with peace of mind that you did 8hrs of revision. It may sound like hard to do but the 5 min breaks are perfect - don't exceed 5 mins tho!
Reply 2
Original post by 982761834
Not too much at all. I recommend doing two 4 hour time blocks by doing 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 5MIN Break, 1H, 2Hour Break - then repeat. I aim for like 6-8 hours of work per day and I do 2 of these time blocks which is honestly the only way I can cope haha. Just say you woke up at 7:00, started at 8:00 - 12:15, have a break for 2 hours, and then start again at 14:15 - 18:30 - then chill for the entire evening with peace of mind that you did 8hrs of revision. It may sound like hard to do but the 5 min breaks are perfect - don't exceed 5 mins tho!

umm isn't 5 mins too little??
Original post by tsukife
umm isn't 5 mins too little??

No because you want to still be in a "studying mode" . If you take a 10/15 minute break, you will have to put more effort to build the motivation in order to get back to studying. 5 mins is perfect because you can have a breather and still be in the right mindset to study.
Reply 4
Original post by 982761834
No because you want to still be in a "studying mode" . If you take a 10/15 minute break, you will have to put more effort to build the motivation in order to get back to studying. 5 mins is perfect because you can have a breather and still be in the right mindset to study

i get you,, but it must be rlly draining and that'd have an impact on your studying. just my opinion
Original post by tsukife
i get you,, but it must be rlly draining and that'd have an impact on your studying. just my opinion

Ehhh its not that bad if you take 1-2 days off per week - wouldn't really recommend doing it all the time though.
Reply 6
Original post by jaxp
I've got an exam week coming up in 2 months and honestly, my grades are really bad. I really want to do well because I've done badly in the past exam weeks, and mocks, and since it's going to be teacher assessed grades, I need to do really really well. I'm not doing 7h a day consistently, it's more like 2/3h on weekdays, 5/6h on weekends, and then during the Easter holidays, it's about 7h a day. I want to do well but I don't want to burn myself out. Is it too much?

Don't listen to what people tell you, that is enough revision keep this up try revising for longer if you want to, if you want to get those high grades I would do 8 hours if I was you, however do 30 min revision 5 min break , keep on doing that and you will not burn yourself out

Bear in mind one thing though, the first 4 hours of your day studying are the most important, this is when you have the most energy to do something so I recommend first 4 hours revise, re-call information and the next 3-4 hours exam questions all the way through, keep on doing this and you will not burn yourself out.

Always think that this is the time for you to achieve what you want, use the time wisely, if you do not use social media or your phone for a day or two that is not going to harm you, your future self is going to thank you for doing 8 hours of revision.

People say that is too much, and that is true but what no one knows is , google says that 4 hours of revision is best, no more or else your brain wont learn anything. What this means is that after 4 hours avoid reading information, re-calling info, doing flashcard, instead do exam questions all the way through.

I know you have bad grades and want to raise them, but that takes in dedication, it is a choice now whether you do 8 hours of revision and get a good grade and achieve a high paying job in life or you waste this precious time by only doing 2 hours of revision and then get a **** job, GCSEs determine what you do in the future. USE THIS TIME WISELY.

Do the 4 hours revision strategy until you have 1 week left till your exams, then go full on exam questions for 8 hours.

It is possible, it is not impossible but just put the work and effort it and just imagine how happy you will be in the next 5 years thinking how hard you tried to achieve where you are now

GOOD LUCK, ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK

Quick Reply

Latest