The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering foundation year?

Currently in year 12 and studying alevels psychology, english language and history.

Its a complete 180 from the previous subjects i wanted to study due to getting low predictions for my GCSEs last year. I resat maths and got a level 6 but didnt resit double science so I still have a level 4.

Ive discovered that at uni, they have foundation courses for people who didnt study the right subjects or other circumstances. I know what im studying rn isnt considered part of the STEM subjects, but if I get good grades (AAA is what im predicted at rn) and with my level 6 in maths, do you think i can do a foundation year at a good uni?
Original post by MonoAno555
Currently in year 12 and studying alevels psychology, english language and history.

Its a complete 180 from the previous subjects i wanted to study due to getting low predictions for my GCSEs last year. I resat maths and got a level 6 but didnt resit double science so I still have a level 4.

Ive discovered that at uni, they have foundation courses for people who didnt study the right subjects or other circumstances. I know what im studying rn isnt considered part of the STEM subjects, but if I get good grades (AAA is what im predicted at rn) and with my level 6 in maths, do you think i can do a foundation year at a good uni?

Good morning @MonoAno555 you are right, many universities offer courses with an integrated foundation year for students who wish to choose to study a particular subject at university but might not have the required subjects/grades to enter year one.

At USW we offer BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (including a Foundation Year) and we would ask for grades EE at A level, we do not ask for specific subjects. This is a 4 year programme taught at our Pontypridd campus, just north of Cardiff.

Whilst many universities offer similar courses, and many are likely to offer mechanical engineering with a foundation year, it's really important to check the entry requirements for your chosen universities, as the subjects/grades required will vary between universities.

Do you have an idea of the locations you would like to study at?

Thanks, Carrie :smile:
Original post by MonoAno555

If your school allows you could re-start year 12 from next year taking maths & physics.
Then you would start first year at the same time as if you did a foundation year/year-0 and wouldn't use up 1 year of student finance.

Id be more concerned with your 6 in GCSE maths, engineering is mostly maths, you will be doing calculus/linear algebra every day of your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest