The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is IDS and School of Global Studies together ranked no1 for development studies?

I have admission offer at both IDS and School of global studies , Sussex. I have cleared courses in development studies(IDS) and anthropology of development and social transformation (global studies). Though development studies is the most sought after course I am more interested in studying the anthropological aspect of development. While I checked that this course comes under the department of anthropology, school of global studies. I saw that the anthropology department is ranked in 40's and there are other better universities to pursue it. But this particular course is also about development so is this course too counted in the development studies ranking of university of sussex? Apart from Sussex only LSE has a similar course in anthropology and development ( which is course content wise far better) , I have applied there and its tougher to get through there. So in case I decide to join Sussex what is more wiser option to choose - the development studies course for which it is popular or the course offered by school of global studies? Also is the global studies school equally at par with IDS?
Original post by suramyas
I have admission offer at both IDS and School of global studies , Sussex. I have cleared courses in development studies(IDS) and anthropology of development and social transformation (global studies). Though development studies is the most sought after course I am more interested in studying the anthropological aspect of development. While I checked that this course comes under the department of anthropology, school of global studies. I saw that the anthropology department is ranked in 40's and there are other better universities to pursue it. But this particular course is also about development so is this course too counted in the development studies ranking of university of sussex? Apart from Sussex only LSE has a similar course in anthropology and development ( which is course content wise far better) , I have applied there and its tougher to get through there. So in case I decide to join Sussex what is more wiser option to choose - the development studies course for which it is popular or the course offered by school of global studies? Also is the global studies school equally at par with IDS?

Hello, thank you for all your questions.

Based on what you have written, it sounds to me like you are more interested in studying anthropology of development and social transformation, than you are in studying developmental studies. While it is always tempting to go for the 'higher ranked' course, personally, I would encourage you to focus more on choosing the course that you will enjoy and do your best at! Honestly, details like this are unlikely to matter in a long term, and rankings do indeed change from year to year, so they might not even be the same by the time you graduate! Still, it is always a good idea to keep your options open, and applying to other universities that also offer the course you are truly interested in, no matter how competitive, is likely to put your in the best position possible.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions I might be able to help you with!

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hi, I applied for Masters in Globalisation, Development and, Business earlier this February - February 2nd to be exact. I am just curious about the timelines for the processing of the applications. Understandly, Development Studies is a popular course, so the department would be having many applications, but is there a specific timeline to receive offers/rejections?
Original post by rsachdeva
Hi, I applied for Masters in Globalisation, Development and, Business earlier this February - February 2nd to be exact. I am just curious about the timelines for the processing of the applications. Understandly, Development Studies is a popular course, so the department would be having many applications, but is there a specific timeline to receive offers/rejections?

Hello,

As a rough guide it takes between 2 weeks to 2 months to process post-graduate Master course applications. This of course varies, depending on the university and the type of course applied for. If you would like more information about the progress of you application, I would encourage emailing Sussex Postgraduate enquiries: [email protected]. They would be more than happy to help!

Best Wishes,
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, thank you for all your questions.

Based on what you have written, it sounds to me like you are more interested in studying anthropology of development and social transformation, than you are in studying developmental studies. While it is always tempting to go for the 'higher ranked' course, personally, I would encourage you to focus more on choosing the course that you will enjoy and do your best at! Honestly, details like this are unlikely to matter in a long term, and rankings do indeed change from year to year, so they might not even be the same by the time you graduate! Still, it is always a good idea to keep your options open, and applying to other universities that also offer the course you are truly interested in, no matter how competitive, is likely to put your in the best position possible.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions I might be able to help you with!

Best Wishes,

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by rsachdeva

I got my offers in less than 2 weeks
I actually did email the postgraduate office 2 days ago and the answer was so vague as to really not provide any information of relevance at all But thanks for the information. So I should hope that I may hear of a decision by the end of the month, most likely. That should be 2 months since I submitted the application
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello,

As a rough guide it takes between 2 weeks to 2 months to process post-graduate Master course applications. This of course varies, depending on the university and the type of course applied for. If you would like more information about the progress of you application, I would encourage emailing Sussex Postgraduate enquiries: [email protected]. They would be more than happy to help!

Best Wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending