The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you born gay?

Personally I don't believe it's a choice, yes you CAN be influenced to a extent, but why would someone openly come out as gay when they are in a homophobic environment. No one would choose to be gay in that environment. I don't know if I am making sense, but I really don't understand why people believe it's a choice??!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Everything is at least partially genetic. Some things are wholly so but most things are partially influenced by genetics, partially by early environment and experiences.

It doesn't matter which of the two it is. What matters is that you can't change your sexuality at will. You can't decide who to be attracted to.
Current evidence is that it's a complicated (unknown) mixture of genetic, biological (non-genetic) and environmental factors. Ultimately, no one consciously chooses to be attracted to someone regardless of how they define their sexuality.
Reply 3
some are born gay ....and others become gay due to environmental influences/exposures....

which is probably why muslims don't want their kids taught LGBT in schools..
Saying that Gay isn't a choice makes the argument for gay civil rights more compelling. That doesn't mean that there isn't an element of choice.

Somethings are worth fighting for and potentially dying for- that is why some Gay people choose to come in out in deeply homophobic environments.
Why would someone choose to be something that so many people hate? Especially if they live in a place where it's illegal.
If you could choose, many gay people would 'choose' to be straight.
Who knows? There is no science out there that confirms a gene for being gay but this DOESN'T mean there isn't a gene. We just don't know.
Original post by stars 11232
Even if it was a choice, what is the problem with that? They want to sleep with the same gender. It should be nobodys business

I agree.
There is nothing wrong with two consenting adults of the same sex sleeping with each other.
They should teach kids to respect their parents and importance of a university degree in income in the future. As well as how expensive life is without your parents or financial support.
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixRose338
Why would someone choose to be something that so many people hate? Especially if they live in a place where it's illegal.
If you could choose, many gay people would 'choose' to be straight.

Philip Scofield Is a good example of someone who chose to be gay.

He has several daughters, he's married, he's old, and has just declared he was gay like last year?

Sorry i'm not buying it..........,

somewhere along the line he decided he prefeffered men over women and wanted to bat for the other team..., he wasn't born gay. I don't believe he was "pretending" being straight for the entirety of his marriage
Original post by ANM775
Philip Scofield Is a good example of someone who chose to be gay.

He has several daughters, he's married, he's old, and has just declared he was gay like last year?

Sorry i'm not buying it..........,

somewhere along the line he decided he prefeffered men over women and wanted to bat for the other team..., he wasn't born gay. I don't believe he was "pretending" being straight for the entirety of his marriage

I agree that Philip's coming out was a bit unusual, and lots of people do pretend to be bisexual or even gay, maybe he's questioning, maybe he's doing it for attention but we'll never know whether he is 'truly' gay or not.
But the fact still remains that there are many more people who pretend to be straight because of culture/religion/society/laws etc.
Original post by TheCapstan
Who knows? There is no science out there that confirms a gene for being gay but this DOESN'T mean there isn't a gene. We just don't know.

The further issue is it may not be a trait that resolves to just one gene but may be polygenic.
You are born the way you are born. You don't "become" gay, any more than you "become" heterosexual.

Being gay is not being a trans person.

Sexuality isn't a hard line binary choice, but a spectrum and people occupy different places along it and feel sexual attraction towards others in various places along it. The possible combinations are many.

In the end, as long as we are talking about mutually consenting adults, the only reason to care about someone else's sexuality is if you want to have sex with them yourself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PhoenixRose338
I agree that Philip's coming out was a bit unusual, and lots of people do pretend to be bisexual or even gay, maybe he's questioning, maybe he's doing it for attention but we'll never know whether he is 'truly' gay or not.
But the fact still remains that there are many more people who pretend to be straight because of culture/religion/society/laws etc.

A lot of the time people assume it's either straight or gay and forget about bisexuality.
Original post by Anonymous
Personally I don't believe it's a choice, yes you CAN be influenced to a extent, but why would someone openly come out as gay when they are in a homophobic environment. No one would choose to be gay in that environment. I don't know if I am making sense, but I really don't understand why people believe it's a choice??!!!!

are you born attracted to woman? Do babies get boners from looking at naked woman? No its all your enviroment. Your attracted to whoever as we have seen. Some ppl are attracted to animals, kids, cars , themselves the list goes on. This proves it is 100% your enviroment
Original post by Going Back
You are born the way you are born. You don't "become" gay, any more than you "become" heterosexual.

Being gay is not being a trans person.

Sexuality isn't a hard line binary choice, but a spectrum and people occupy different places along it and feel sexual attraction towards others in various places along it. The possible combinations are many.

In the end, as long as we are talking about mutually consenting adults, the only reason to care about someone else's sexuality is if you want to have sex with them yourself.

actually you do develop attraction towards the opposite gender. No attraction is "born" with the person it is a feeling which is directly from your growth
Original post by DNARNAking
are you born attracted to woman? Do babies get boners from looking at naked woman? No its all your enviroment. Your attracted to whoever as we have seen. Some ppl are attracted to animals, kids, cars , themselves the list goes on. This proves it is 100% your enviroment

No, it doesn't. It proves that mammals have to reach a level of physical maturity before they are sexually attracted to others.
Some of the kids I see today are just so spoilt, ungrateful and entilted.
Original post by DNARNAking
actually you do develop attraction towards the opposite gender. No attraction is "born" with the person it is a feeling which is directly from your growth

Again, a matter of physical maturity. You are born the way you are born, at whatever point in your life you act on any of your sexual desires.

Stephen Fry is gay. He says he has always known that and acted on it, but has also had sex with a woman at one point. Did he "become" heterosexual for a night?
(edited 3 years ago)
We don't need to have this discussion because it has already been established that it is not a choice. Research can be carried out on homosexuality, but we don't need to pick apart the causes as a society to please homophobes.

Latest

Trending

Trending