The Philosopher's Corner 2005 Watch

This discussion is closed.
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, you have a year left. :P

Yeah, Edinburgh's my second choice... it's absolutely gorgeous. In a weird way I'm disappointed that Cambridge gave me an offer, because it means I won't be living in Edinburgh. Their accommodation forms are a nightmare though, they ask you for your preferred dates needed... without suggesting what the norm is, or anything. So I guessed that most people come up a day or two before Fresher's Week begins, but have no clue what date I'd need to leave at the end of Summer.

The loan's not been all that bad, actually... apart from finding all the slips from the Inland Revenue for proof of income etc.
Should have a nice fun trip down to Bridgend soonish where I find out how much money they expect me to live on next year. :P

alex
Zarathustra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by coldfish)
... and the syllabus for the first year, with reading lists.
Oooooh!! That sounds much more interesting! Is there any way you could possibly scan & upload it (I'm guessing it'd be ages to type!)? Pretty please

ZarathustraX
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Oooooh!! That sounds much more interesting! Is there any way you could possibly scan & upload it (I'm guessing it'd be ages to type!)? Pretty please

ZarathustraX
I have it too because of my unconditional. It's pretty heavy!
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I have it too because of my unconditional. It's pretty heavy!
:rolleyes: Well good for you! So....what's on it??

ZarathustraX (*jealous and impatient as ever*)
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think most of it is available here. The preliminary reading list for part IA isn't especially long; a friend of mind read pretty much everything on the list in less than a week.
groovy_moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ooo, thanks!
Faboba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by groovy_moose)
my letter said that they'd included the reading lists, except for philosophy and 2 other subjects (forgotten what). So i looked on the website anyway... :rolleyes:
The Cambridge ones are all on the site. Seriously though; the reading list they send you is just a print out version of the .pdf lists and it serves little purpose but put the fear of God into prospective students as you'll only cover around two thirds of the topics, you probably don't have to read all the recommendations that it has for each topic and your supervisor will almost certainly give you recommendations for each essay anyway (mine did). So...

Regardless, here is the link:
Faboba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Got my reading list etc from Newnham last week - it's only the one that was on the website all along! Can't remember where exactly, but I think it's somewhere on the faculty site entitled "recommended reading for philosophy applicants" or something.

Anybody received anything more specific?

ZarathustraX
I think all colleges just use Peter Smith's list. Perhaps the ones with Philosophy fellows don't, but they are quite thin on the ground.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Faboba)
I think all colleges just use Peter Smith's list. Perhaps the ones with Philosophy fellows don't, but they are quite thin on the ground.
Yeah that's the one I got - was just looking for something a tad more specific.
Thanks to you and svidrigailov for the links

ZarathustraX
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads