great minds think alike...

I thought of it first. Mine must be greater :cool:

ReputationRep:
    What about me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

I thought of it first. Mine must be greater :cool:

Dear me, this coming from a philosopher? :P

That logic book does look very good, have you read the whole thing then? I was thinking I should probably get through one before I start university, and the 'perfect partner' they linked it with at amazon also looks very good, about applying logic to philosophy.

Clever marketing, but it could be worth it. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rik_Rock)
    Dear me, this coming from a philosopher? :P

That logic book does look very good, have you read the whole thing then? I was thinking I should probably get through one before I start university, and the 'perfect partner' they linked it with at amazon also looks very good, about applying logic to philosophy.

Clever marketing, but it could be worth it. Any thoughts?
    I have read the whole thing through numerous times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    What about me?
    Yours looks fantastic too - seems to be pitched just at my level Thanks englishstudent!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yours looks fantastic too - seems to be pitched just at my level Thanks englishstudent!!!
    No problem my dear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I think i'll skip the cartoons - never understood the damn things. Do you like the philosophical investigations? I think i'll wwait until the summer to read them as I am busy with lots o music and Adorno (greatest philosopher ever) in term time.

MB
    Try Guttenplan's Languages of Logic (pretty sure that's what it's called) - v.comprehensive and you can just kinda dip in and out of the chapters you need.

And omg squee for Adorno! *loves the Frankfurt school*

ZarathustraX (accessing intermittently whilst sorting home internet problems)

PS: Hey Rik :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    Try Guttenplan's Languages of Logic (pretty sure that's what it's called) - v.comprehensive and you can just kinda dip in and out of the chapters you need.

Yay, another frankfurt school fan. I will warn you there aren't many marxists left in Cambridge (although Adorno is semi-respected in the music faculty). I assume you came to Adorno through neitszche given your username. I still think hermeneutic method has a lot to be said for it (especially these days with some influence from Foucault etc)

MB

ReputationRep:

Just a question I've been dying to ask you Zara - what is "squee"!?! Never heard the expression myself!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Philosophy @ Cam (fresher), and I thought it might be useful to mention that if you are coming up to study in October, get and read Peter Smith's Introduction to Logic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...611508-3024650). All your first term lectures and logic sheets are based on that book, AND Smith is the lecturer. If you read and understand the whole book before you come up, you're sailing through first term logic. The beginning of our second term also makes use of the book I think…

As for whether it would be useful for Marxist musicians, I have no idea....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)
    I'm currently studying Philosophy @ Cam (fresher), and I thought it might be useful to mention that if you are coming up to study in October, get and read Peter Smith's Introduction to Logic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...611508-3024650). All your first term lectures and logic sheets are based on that book, AND Smith is the lecturer. If you read and understand the whole book before you come up, you're sailing through first term logic. The beginning of our second term also makes use of the book I think…

Yes, someone else recommended that to me too - but I wasn't sure. I'm doubly sure now! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)

I prefer the term "muso" as I don't play any instruments any more and thus am not really a musician.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platinumki)
    Sorry to but into your little philosopher's love-in but I just thought I'd tell you i've seen the Pumkins live.

Oh, and I thought I'd ask TakemetoAvalon where she (I think she) is in Scotland. I'm always impressed by how small our country is and how many connections evryone seems to have. For example, at my interview I was chatting away to a boy when he asked me where i was from.

"Scotland" quoth I (ultimately, that's enough information for most people.

Anyway, it transpired that we live about a mile away from each other and pass each other's houses almost every day. Beacuse he's at Stuart's Melville we don't go to school together but other wise, he'd be in all my classes. Weird huh? We knew so many people and ended up driving everyone else away by taking about random Scottish people.

Another example, I was at a vet thing at Edinburgh uni and I was chatty to a girl.

"Where are you from?"

"Near Aberdeen."

"Where near Aberdeen?"

It transpired she has come down on the train with someone I play in the National Youth Wind Ensemble with. Never under estimate how wee Scotland is. *Cue "It's a Small World Afterall."

Of course, this is just a long winded justification for trying to find out what school offer AH Latin. I go to a school where the head gave an assembly on our moto only to be told by our history teacher(the only Latin speaker) that the head had it all wrong. *sigh*

I should really have just been direct...

TakemetoAvalon - what school do you go to?

hehe. well, first revelation... I'm a guy

Anyways, you mentioned Stuart Melville's which is a SURE indicator that you do in fact live Edinburgh or around it.... as do I!

I go to Boroughmuir High which is in Bruntsfield, you know down from morningside. Which school are you at?
    Oh, our school has a latin motto too : Justus et Tenax - Justice and Tenacity. wtf? :confused: what's that got to do with a school. Maybe it was the only motto left to choose from. :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm staying in morningside with a couple of friends - one set of parents live Copenhagen, the other set in London (Yes, I lead a strange and convoluted life) Whereabouts are you staying?

(Original post by platinumki)
    I just thought I'd tell you i've seen the Pumkins live.
    All I can say is.... B*ST*RD!!! I'm jealous... though if I had to choose a band of the 90's to see I'd probably see X Japan instead

Did you see the original pumpkins? or had Jimmy left already? Or had D'arcy left and been replaced by that annoying bassist who did D'arcy's rocking totally wrong? Or did you see Zwan :eek:

Whoever you saw, it must have been great... where/when was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)

Wow, that's great, thanks for that

I'll go order that now I think, any thoughts on the other book about applying logic to philosophy? The one at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...728805-3303867

Oh, and hi Zarathustra!!

I'm feeling a bit left out of this thread of mine, having not heard of Adorno/Frankfurt School. Am I to understand this is some kind of political philosophy? Not quite my forte, but it does sound interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rik_Rock)
    Wow, that's great, thanks for that

I'll go order that now I think, any thoughts on the other book about applying logic to philosophy? The one at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...728805-3303867

Oh, and hi Zarathustra!!

I'm feeling a bit left out of this thread of mine, having not heard of Adorno/Frankfurt School. Am I to understand this is some kind of political philosophy? Not quite my forte, but it does sound interesting.
    Yeah, political philosophy and bits of aesthetics/critical theory etc. Very much based on Hegel (especially on ideas relating to cultural dialectics), Neitszche and on earlier Marxist philosophers such as Lukacs (who wrote a very good if not slightly over-authoritarian book called history and class consciousness). Anyway, they worked at the Frankfurt institute and wrote some good stuff - most important to read are "dialectic of enlightenment" and "the culture industry". I've read more than half the published adorno and it's all very worthwhile reaading even if you disagree with it.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I'll get that logic book evtually...

Even if my re-interview at Fitz isn't successful,
    it'll still be a good book to work with I'd assume.

Must admit... kinda crazy to be working with all the people who wrote the books you're studying! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazydaveuk)
    I'll get that logic book evtually...

Even if my re-interview at Fitz isn't successful,
    it'll still be a good book to work with I'd assume.

Must admit... kinda crazy to be working with all the people who wrote the books you're studying! :p:

No misunderstandings that way though . My chemistry teacher co-wrote one of the textbooks we use for AQA chemistry. If anybody has a Chem text book by C. Hibbert, that's my teacher, hehe. Although not sure how many chemists will be around on this thread.

Good luck with the re-interview!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I go away for 24 hours and this thread explodes!

This was ages ago, but anyway, in answer to TakemetoAvalon, yes I'm at an independent school.

And thanks, as1, that book sounds useful.

crazydaveuk - good luck, my fingers are crossed.

ReputationRep:
    People who have said things to me, in no particular order:

Rik_Rok - Kinda political philosophy. Though not in the style of Rawls et al. It's better described as Critical Theory, which is, to simplify it to a ridiculous extent, a sort of blend of sociology, philosophy, and 'theory'. Well, it was in the hands of the Frankfurt School anyway. I'll second anything musicboy recommends for Adorno, and suggest also that you look into Walter Benjamin (I'm reading a book about him atm by Pierre Missac, which is, well...enjoyable and informative but idiosyncratic almost to the point of annoyance), or Marcuse / Habermas / Horkheimer (sp?) etc.
    This is the first thing that google spat out for me - there'll be lots more.

Also, since we're going down the route of Marxism - read Gramsci and Althusser. You can't possibly be a Marxist without hegemony & ISAs, imho. (*is not indoctrinating the next generation of Cam undergrads*).

Musicboy - Actually I didn't approach it through Nietzsche. I must admit, in fact, that whilst I have read Nietzsche (and frequently re-read Thus Spake) I'm not that huge a fan (only because there are other people I love more, and...there's just not enough of me to go around...) - the name's just 'cause I love it. My route was, roughly:
    Marxism -(chance)-> similarly disposed teacher -(recommendation)-> Benjamin -(background reading)-> Critical theory -(logical necessity)-> F.School generally -(attractive book titles)-> Adorno.

Adhsur - "Squee" doesn't really have a meaning as such. Hmmm...how to explain this....ok. Right, picture this. It's New Years Eve; you're waiting for you Cambridge letter; it comes; it's an acceptance. You (could) jump up and down and run madly about the house, screaming "omg omg omg squee omg squee [insert swear words here] omg squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" It's more an exclamation - and irrepressible squeal of delight or excitement.
    Right?

ZarathustraX

EDIT: Musicboy, do you read Zizek?

ReputationRep:
    Adhsur - "Squee" doesn't really have a meaning as such. Hmmm...how to explain this....ok. Right, picture this. It's New Years Eve; you're waiting for you Cambridge letter; it comes; it's an acceptance. You (could) jump up and down and run madly about the house, screaming "omg omg omg squee omg squee [insert swear words here] omg squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" It's more an exclamation - and irrepressible squeal of delight or excitement.
    Right?

ZarathustraX
    Ummmm Right

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.