The Student Room Group

Can I do a psychology degree without sciences and psychology a levels?

So I am doing A level, history, law and sociology.
I initially wanted to do a law degree in uni but I’ve had a change of mind and I’m thinking of doing a psychology degree.

However, I haven’t chosen a psychology a level neither any sciences as my a levels. Is there any chance that I could still do a psychology degree? I can really envision myself doing something as such but dk If my a level choices are restricting me now.
Thanks.
Your A-level choices will probably restrict your choice of unis (depending on what your predicted grades are) but some unis will take you. I do psychology and I know a few people who did it at A-level and have found it difficult at degree level, however I have no background in psychology or sciences and have found it OK. Might be worth watching a few A-level biology revision videos on youtube though.
Reply 2
Thank u
Psychology is a science subject - not a humanities subject. This is why you need a science background. You might be able to apply for Counselling, Mental Health Nursing or courses like Disability Studies etc, but a BSc Psychology degree is probably unrealistic without any science background.

There are 'conversion' courses available for those that didnt do sciences at A level. Here is one from Leeds : https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/g521/studies-in-science-with-foundation-year-bsc and I think Southampton also do one. Or you can look at a Psychology degree 'with Foundation' like the one at Sussex that is low grade entry with no science requirement.
Check the entry requirements on a few uni websites - I just looked at Leicester and it asks for A level grades but with no science or maths A level subjects specified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending