Is Physics necessary for Industrial/Product Design?

Watch
elisakimferreira
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey everyone )

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma – I'm supposed to be choosing my A-level options.

My initial intentions were to do Maths, Art, Product Design, and Economics. Those are all subjects I'm very strong at, and those subjects enable me to have more than one choice of a career path (so I could go the product design route, or the economics route).

I've been thinking and researching lately about what I want to do in the future – Industrial design has really appealed to me. However, it is preferred that students take physics which I'm not as strong at (I normally get 8s at GCSE but not 9s as I do in other subjects).

I don't really have a genuine interest in physics, but I'm afraid if I don't take it, it'll limit me to some courses that would lead me to a future career of Industrial design. Please keep in mind I want to do Economics too

Sometimes I wish I could choose 5/6 A-levels without it being demanding. I was supposed to do the IB programme but my school wouldn't run it, as I was the only student wanting to do Product Design.

All help is much appreciated, thank you all for your time.

Elisa
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello! Sorry I don't have a specific answer for you, BUT the best course of action would be to do some research on Universities that offer the course you're interested in and check out their entry criteria. They will always have the subjects and grades they want listed for you to check. It probably seems a little early to be looking into Universities, but you should hopefully get a general idea. (And if you can avoid Physics, win win!!)
elisakimferreira
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Hello! Sorry I don't have a specific answer for you, BUT the best course of action would be to do some research on Universities that offer the course you're interested in and check out their entry criteria. They will always have the subjects and grades they want listed for you to check. It probably seems a little early to be looking into Universities, but you should hopefully get a general idea. (And if you can avoid Physics, win win!!)
Thank you so much Kabzzzy, I really appreciate your advice
北NoFace南
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey there,Im currently in year 12. Last year i was in the same stage as you and i decided to take product design, just saying but Product design will take up quite a bit of your time as you have both theory and practicle. Its not a bad subject for those who are organised and productive. Well... at this moment im struggling of a NEA 1.1 idea Mindmap, as the area is way too big, suggesting you to have a rough thought of your product now (it isnt too early to start thinking now XD). I would recommend to choose Maths, Product Design, Economics from the list you have provided (im not so sure how many subjects your school is letting you choose, but mine is 3 with an extra of core maths, which not everybody needs). Time management is a major factor to consider before choosing, as it really depends on if you are lazy and procrastinate often like me or you are a productive well organised student. Both Art and Product Design are NEA subjects where you need to put effort in the work, otherwise you will be behind. However between the two of them, i suggest Product Design as it is a STEM subject which could open more pathways for the future.From a personal view, i wouldnt recomment Physics at all. This subject requires a high brain power, so unless you at least have a 8 or 9 in physics i wouldnt suggest it. Physics may not be the only way out for a good university as many other subjects provide you a different pathway.Mathematics will take you to many pathways as it is a basic STEM subject known everywhere. The subject is well recongised. But just saying that it will make no sense unless you actually bother to learn it in your freetime (which you may have), A- Level mathematics and GCSE Mathematics just barely share the same infomation. A-Level mathematics takes you to another level.YouTube is a great learning resource provider. Good luck on your choices hope this helps, sorry if it didnt...Btw, I ended up taking Mathematics, Product Design, Psychlogy and EPQ.
elisakimferreira
(Original post by 北NoFace南)
Hey there,Im currently in year 12. Last year i was in the same stage as you and i decided to take product design, just saying but Product design will take up quite a bit of your time as you have both theory and practicle. Its not a bad subject for those who are organised and productive. Well... at this moment im struggling of a NEA 1.1 idea Mindmap, as the area is way too big, suggesting you to have a rough thought of your product now (it isnt too early to start thinking now XD). I would recommend to choose Maths, Product Design, Economics from the list you have provided (im not so sure how many subjects your school is letting you choose, but mine is 3 with an extra of core maths, which not everybody needs). Time management is a major factor to consider before choosing, as it really depends on if you are lazy and procrastinate often like me or you are a productive well organised student. Both Art and Product Design are NEA subjects where you need to put effort in the work, otherwise you will be behind. However between the two of them, i suggest Product Design as it is a STEM subject which could open more pathways for the future.From a personal view, i wouldnt recomment Physics at all. This subject requires a high brain power, so unless you at least have a 8 or 9 in physics i wouldnt suggest it. Physics may not be the only way out for a good university as many other subjects provide you a different pathway.Mathematics will take you to many pathways as it is a basic STEM subject known everywhere. The subject is well recongised. But just saying that it will make no sense unless you actually bother to learn it in your freetime (which you may have), A- Level mathematics and GCSE Mathematics just barely share the same infomation. A-Level mathematics takes you to another level.YouTube is a great learning resource provider. Good luck on your choices hope this helps, sorry if it didnt...Btw, I ended up taking Mathematics, Product Design, Psychlogy and EPQ.
Hey 北NoFace南! Thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it... I feel like I have a much clearer view of what I want to do, based on what you've said and from the info I've gathered these past few days. I'm currently doing Further Pure Maths at GCSE which has quite a few topics from the A-Level maths and honestly you are 100% right it's a whole other level – but also like you said it's a very well-recognised subject and is known for STEM, I'm not very passionate about Physics as I am for Maths or Product Design, so it would not be a very wise use of time to do it for 4 lessons a week. Your combination of Maths, Product Design, Psychology and an EPQ is such a cool combination, best of luck to your A-levels! I hope everything's going well. Once again thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads