The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

H&M is evil. I spent over £120 for my birthday in there and because I have a changing room phobia i didn't try them on. Size 12 is loose/fits fine with Topshop/Miss Selfridge, but with H&M the stuff seemed about two sizes too small... evil.

Acaila

And size 14 is really not fat! Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 remember.

As women are now a lot bigger than they were, clothes sizes have altered. What was a size 16 in Marilyn's time is now a 10/12. There's no way she's our size 16! Look at the picture... (it disappointed me too)
Reply 41
SophistiCat
H&M is evil. I spent over £120 for my birthday in there and because I have a changing room phobia i didn't try them on. Size 12 is loose/fits fine with Topshop/Miss Selfridge, but with H&M the stuff seemed about two sizes too small... evil.

That's really strange.. I always need to go a size smaller with H&M.. tis why I like it there so much :biggrin:
F. Poste
That's really strange.. I always need to go a size smaller with H&M.. tis why I like it there so much :biggrin:

Hmmm maybe we have v. different body types... the tops I bought there fit me fine but the trousers/skirts won't go past my bum... which i've learned to love thanks to Ms Lopez & Shakira!
Reply 43
SophistiCat
Hmmm maybe we have v. different body types... the tops I bought there fit me fine but the trousers/skirts won't go past my bum... which i've learned to love thanks to Ms Lopez & Shakira!

Also it might be because I'm really short... 5'1 :eek:
F. Poste

Yeah, probably because I'm 5'7... you're taller than Shakira!!!
Reply 45
h and m is EVIL

there clothes dont even stretch .its all tihght fitting

alos the girl who sed skirts are good! ur right....make me feeel sooooo much slimmer.wot size r u tho

what happeneded to shakira?
Acaila

And size 14 is really not fat! Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 remember.

Sizes were smaller in the past. People have become bigger/fatter so clothes manufacturers had to make sizes bigger to allow for larger bodies. "Vanity sizing" - nobody wants to have a label saying a large size, so they kept the labels but made the clothes bigger. That's why "vintage" clothes, or clothes from several decades ago are often very small.

Anyway, her measurements were 36-23/24 (not sure which)-36 so there's no way she could be a size 16 today.
miss n

what happeneded to shakira?

From what I've heard she disappeared to make an album and wrote about 200 songs! She'll be back this year with a new album though!
I feel really sad that I know this stuff!
Clothes sizes always seem to vary...
I don't really shop in New Look anymore but I have a size 10 top from there and it is quite small compared to other size 10s. I have a size 8 dress from Tom Wolfe and it's huge. :rolleyes:
I just have a mixture of different sizes scattered in my wardrobe for when I gain/lose.
Sizes always vary between manufacturers...Sometimes clothes of the same size from the same shop differ. I just wear whatever fits.
Size 14 isn't fat compared to a lot of people in this country. As long as you're happy and healthy, that's the main thing.
Hmm... I'm 5'10, with size 8 feet. Much as I love being tall, I hate that I can't find tops with long enough arms on them! And I do wonder just how tall you've gotta be to fit into TopShop Tall trousers... I ended up taking about 6" off the legs from one pair!

Tomorrow is the start of my new healthy fitness...ness lol - wanna lose weight on my arms, stomach and thighs. Hence why I'm gonna go swimming till I go wrinkled and cycling and rowing in the gym! Grrrrr! lol

Edit: I too hate how clothes sizes vary from shop to shop! my god, H&M clothes are always way too small for me, TopShop are fine, but places like New Look are massive on me! Why don't they make inbetween jean - lengths too? I swar I'm a 33" leg in Levis! lol
Reply 50
yes! who ever sed in between sizes

i am a size 15

in america i swear they do this sorta thing
Reply 51

I'm generally a size 10, but with E cup boobs that makes a challenge finding certain things!

However my waist is like a 32. I remember when i was a 27 :mad: .
Reply 52
Sarky

I'm generally a size 10, but with E cup boobs that makes a challenge finding certain things!

However my waist is like a 32. I remember when i was a 27 :mad: .

dont be bitter...
Reply 53
miss n
dont be bitter...

Oh i'm not, i just liked being able to steal my friends jeans. Now i must wear my own. I like my figure for the most part. :smile:
Reply 54
F. Poste

Im 5'1" too! I love being short but can be annoying because as soon as you put on a couple of pounds it shows. I'm a size 10 which sounds ok but because I'm so short I still feel overweight. For my height I really ought to be a size 6 or 8 to look slim. Heels can really make a difference though! Oh and I'm totally feeling the between sizes discussion, bring on the 9s and 11s!!!
SophistiCat

As women are now a lot bigger than they were, clothes sizes have altered. What was a size 16 in Marilyn's time is now a 10/12. There's no way she's our size 16! Look at the picture... (it disappointed me too)

lol! i'm sorry, but if you're trying to say that that's a size 10/12 in that pic then you're delusional. That is definately a size 14, maybe 12 if it was stretch. i'm not saying she's fat, she just a lot curvier than a size 10. A size ten would be like Christina or Britany, or maybe a size 12 at the most.
No Future

Anyway, her measurements were 36-23/24 (not sure which)-36 so there's no way she could be a size 16 today.

She altered in size. She was at one stage a size 16, but other times a size 12.
I change sizes depending on the shop. I find new look im a 10 bottom but topshop, pilot and river island im an 8. I think they should do size 9's especially for bottoms!! In tops i normally just get 10's unless they are really baggy, evening tops i get 8's. Bring on the inbetween sizing!!
No Future
Sizes were smaller in the past. People have become bigger/fatter so clothes manufacturers had to make sizes bigger to allow for larger bodies. "Vanity sizing" - nobody wants to have a label saying a large size, so they kept the labels but made the clothes bigger. That's why "vintage" clothes, or clothes from several decades ago are often very small.

I really hope those measurements are small and not a 16!!! I've just obsessively measured myself after reading that and I'm 42-32-41 and usually wear size 14 clothes. I'm generally happy with my body. Well, I wouldn't have been normally, but I found 2 pairs of trousers that fitted me really nicely yesterday and they're usually so hard to find :smile: I'm not someone who's bothered what size the label says....if it flatters and makes me look good then it can be a size 18 for all I care...who's going to know? xxx
Reply 59
puppy
Im 5'1" too! I love being short but can be annoying because as soon as you put on a couple of pounds it shows. I'm a size 10 which sounds ok but because I'm so short I still feel overweight. For my height I really ought to be a size 6 or 8 to look slim. Heels can really make a difference though! Oh and I'm totally feeling the between sizes discussion, bring on the 9s and 11s!!!

I don't particularly like being short.. bar the attention :biggrin: I know what you mean about the weight thing.. I'm an 8/10 but because of my height I never feel particularly thin or elegant!

Latest

Trending

Trending