I found out I'm being refused admission to Oxford based on new fee-status regulations

Watch
Cookiezi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was told yesterday by a prospective supervisor at Oxford that they aren't able to process my application and that I should presume I was rejected. This decision was based on the recent introduction (8th February) of many complex changes to earlier regulations, right in the middle of the admissions process. It will take several week for UKCISA to interpret the changes, until which the admission's process will have already ended.

Based on earlier regulations from December 2020 and a statement from June 2020 I am entitled to a home status and therefore eligible for the vast majority of funding agreements. I have, in fact, received unofficial funded offers from Cambridge and UCL which have indeed classified my as a home student (based on the pre-8th-of-February regulations). I wouldn't be complaining if the rules had been clear from the very beginning. That way I would have been able to concentrate my applications elsewhere.

It is soul-crushing to have put so much work into my studies, research, and applications for the past 4 years only to be refused admission not on the basis of a change in regulations, but on lack thereof.
Last edited by Cookiezi; 1 month ago
pgapps2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm so sorry to hear that - that seems very unusual. I think UKCISA hasn't issued any guidance yet, so isn't Oxford jumping the gun a bit? I've looked through the changes when they came out and I couldn't find anything that significantly altered my own situation (EU applicant with settled status) - which change is it that now makes you ineligible for home status?

I'm also surprised Cambridge classified you as a home student - my offer says they're classifying all EU applicants as internationals for now, and that they'll review fee statuses when UKCISA updates its guidance.
Cookiezi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by pgapps2021)
I'm so sorry to hear that - that seems very unusual. I think UKCISA hasn't issued any guidance yet, so isn't Oxford jumping the gun a bit? I've looked through the changes when they came out and I couldn't find anything that significantly altered my own situation (EU applicant with settled status) - which change is it that now makes you ineligible for home status?

I'm also surprised Cambridge classified you as a home student - my offer says they're classifying all EU applicants as internationals for now, and that they'll review fee statuses when UKCISA updates its guidance.
I've gotten an official offer from Cambridge yesterday and it does say that my fee status is overseas, which means that Oxford has a case, but I do find it absurd that they refuse to consider my application until UKCISA updates their guidance. My Cambridge offer also mentions that my fee status will reassessed on a later date, so if Cambridge can accommodate me, why can't Oxford?
astrosa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cookiezi)
I've gotten an official offer from Cambridge yesterday and it does say that my fee status is overseas, which means that Oxford has a case, but I do find it absurd that they refuse to consider my application until UKCISA updates their guidance. My Cambridge offer also mentions that my fee status will reassessed on a later date, so if Cambridge can accommodate me, why can't Oxford?
Hello,
Really sorry to hear that! Can I ask whether you're an EU student? And if so, what did Oxford tell you; that they didn't have funding for you and hence they had to reject you?
Best of luck with that and really well done for getting into Cambridge!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads