The Student Room Group

Do uni’s allow you to go paperless?

I bought a new laptop for college and they don’t allow me to use it. I type about 10x faster than I write and I physically hate writing but college make me write everything. If I do anything on my laptop, I have to print it. Sometimes I have to print booklets that are about 30 pages long, it’s such a waste on the environment.

Anyway, I wanna buy an iPad for uni as I’ve seen people make cool notes on them and also because I want to go paperless. Is uni the same as college in which you get given worksheets and booklets to fill out or will I be able to make my own notes? I don’t want to go and spend money on something I won’t be allowed to use.
Reply 1
I guess it depends on your course. When I did Computer Science, I don't think I purchased one single notebook. Going into Medicine this year and the idea is to make digital notes on the iPad, make notes directly onto PowerPoint presentations, and I guess take images and annotate any handouts. Although I am considering notebooks because I love writing, but the inconvenience in storing paper notes may avert me.

Maybe some courses like English might have you doing a lot of writing in class, but in terms of lecture notes there should be no problem with going digital. My plan is to carry an a5 notebook with me if I need to make any sporadic notes, and then you can always create them digitally when revising later at home.

Quick Reply

Latest