The Student Room Group

Biomedicine or Dentistry?

I have my second set of mocks in about a week and a half and for quite a while I've been wondering if i should study biomedicine or dentistry. I am in Year 11, so I am considering the different A Levels to study.

Could anyone offer me advice on how to choose along with any helpful revision tips?? I'd be incredibly grateful!

Thank You
biomedicine and dentistry are two very different areas to study but i assume youd take bio and chem for alevels either way but id say wait till covid settles down and take some work experiecne to see if thats what you want to do
Original post by La'Raiba
I have my second set of mocks in about a week and a half and for quite a while I've been wondering if i should study biomedicine or dentistry. I am in Year 11, so I am considering the different A Levels to study.

Could anyone offer me advice on how to choose along with any helpful revision tips?? I'd be incredibly grateful!

Thank You

Biomed and Dentistry are two very different career options, although naturally there will be similarities between the two.

Biomed focuses on the functioning of cells, organs and systems of the human body. It's very much a science, and many people who study biomedical sciences will end up working in a laboratory environment; it tends not to be a person-facing role. So although you'll likely work as part of a team, this is a less person-focused option.

By comparison, dentistry focuses more on the operative management of oral and dental disease and the vast majority of those who complete a dental degree will work in the clinical environment in patient-facing roles. You'll work closely with your colleagues in the clinical environment, but also will be dealing with large numbers of patients - dentistry is a very 'social' job and communication is key to being a successful dentist.

So I think the key to helping you make your decision will be to do with how much patient contact you want - whilst both professions are very focused on completion of manual activity, if you're a people person, dentistry is probably more for you! As a dentist, I love speaking to people, and helping to relieve their pain, improve their dental health, so I cannot recommend the profession enough!

Hope this helps! Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
Biomed and Dentistry are two very different career options, although naturally there will be similarities between the two.

Biomed focuses on the functioning of cells, organs and systems of the human body. It's very much a science, and many people who study biomedical sciences will end up working in a laboratory environment; it tends not to be a person-facing role. So although you'll likely work as part of a team, this is a less person-focused option.

By comparison, dentistry focuses more on the operative management of oral and dental disease and the vast majority of those who complete a dental degree will work in the clinical environment in patient-facing roles. You'll work closely with your colleagues in the clinical environment, but also will be dealing with large numbers of patients - dentistry is a very 'social' job and communication is key to being a successful dentist.

So I think the key to helping you make your decision will be to do with how much patient contact you want - whilst both professions are very focused on completion of manual activity, if you're a people person, dentistry is probably more for you! As a dentist, I love speaking to people, and helping to relieve their pain, improve their dental health, so I cannot recommend the profession enough!

Hope this helps! Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you so so SO much!! this was really helpful! It's been hard to consider a career but i have another question (if that is ok), how did you do in your UCAT??
Original post by La'Raiba
Thank you so so SO much!! this was really helpful! It's been hard to consider a career but i have another question (if that is ok), how did you do in your UCAT??

So, this is a bit of a memory test for me, as I say it long enough ago that it was still called the UKCAT and the SJT section was brand new!

My average was around the 750-800 mark (can’t remember exactly, but 760 sounds vaguely familiar!) with a band 1 SJT. Dropped a bit on the verbal and mathematical reasoning section, but made my average back up with the other two sections (can’t for the life of me remember what they’re called!)

Hope this helps!
Worth remembering though that the ‘importance’ of the UKCAT varies massively between universities, and when I was applying I knew of people in the 550-600 (‘average’) region who received offers.

Quick Reply

Latest