Watch
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56180675

Thoughts on this?

I think it's stupid how men are required to wear suits in parliament. There is no reason why you can't be respectful and professional in non-formal clothing. Parliament's 'dress code' is also sexist against men, since the same is not required of women.
nnth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are dress codes for both sexes as this example shows. Maybe they need to adapt as our society grows, to reflect our culture. However, these dress codes are quite useful in differentiating between work and leisure. I agree with your point though, that it's sexist against men as well as women. Women do have dress codes too. But, maybe we do have more freedom?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stupid and pointless waste of time. I completely understand the need to look presentable but the formal dress code doesn't actually benefit anyone.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
There are dress codes for both sexes as this example shows. Maybe they need to adapt as our society grows, to reflect our culture. However, these dress codes are quite useful in differentiating between work and leisure. I agree with your point though, that it's sexist against men as well as women. Women do have dress codes too. But, maybe we do have more freedom?
Having checked the House of Commons guide on this, I don't think there are any women-specific dress code rules. Men, though, are explicitly mentioned as are dress requirements for men.

I think HoC guidelines should adapt to reflect changing work culture. Even pre-pandemic, more and more businesses were allowing employees to wear 'smart casual' clothing. This has been made even more obvious now that people are working from home and can wear what they like.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is the same chamber where MP's think it perfectly acceptable to go to sleep on the job. I don't expect much from them.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56180675

Thoughts on this?

I think it's stupid how men are required to wear suits in parliament. There is no reason why you can't be respectful and professional in non-formal clothing. Parliament's 'dress code' is also sexist against men, since the same is not required of women.
Lol, i like how this comes hot on the heals of a carbon copy case in Wellington. Albeit the house here sided with the reasonable lot and came to the conclusion ties are stupid. :lol:
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Lol, i like how this comes hot on the heals of a carbon copy case in Wellington. Albeit the house here sided with the reasonable lot and came to the conclusion ties are stupid. :lol:
Carbon copy case in Wellington? What do you mean by that?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This silly argument.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ori-mp-ejected
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imagine if this was a female MP being told to dress correctly...
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Then it would be completely typical and unsurprising given the attention given to the clothing worn by women in the public eye.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I too would gladly see a relaxation in the rules regarding dress code for MPs, as dress codes in workplaces (including in person) evolves to be more casual over time as fashions change.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Exactly. It would be as if female MPs were told that they could only speak if they wore skirts.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it should be relaxed and it should also be required to show the branding of which corporate, union and national interests are sponsoring them.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Then it would be completely typical and unsurprising given the attention given to the clothing worn by women in the public eye.
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dress codes should be more relaxed, and should be gender-neutral. Until that happens, perhaps male MPs who don't feel like wearing a jacket and tie could temporarily self-identify as women. Would that be allowed?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For anyone interested, the full dress code guidance for MPs is as follows (as at November 2018):

Dress
31. As with the language you use, the way in which you dress should also demonstrate respect for the House and for its central position in the life of the nation. There is no exact dress code: usual business dress is suggested as a guide. Jeans, T-shirts, sandals and trainers are not appropriate. It is no longer a requirement for men to wear a tie, but jackets should be worn.

32. Wearing scarves, T-shirts, or large badges displaying brand names or slogans, or other forms of advertising of either commercial or non-commercial causes, is not in order. The tradition of the House is that decorations (medals, etc) of any kind and uniforms are not worn in the Chamber.

33. Members who fail to show respect to the House will not be called to speak by the Chair, and anyone showing flagrant disrespect in their manner of dress may be asked to withdraw from the Chamber.

34. You are not required to wear business dress if you are only attending to vote in a division, but in those circumstances you should not take your seat in the Chamber or stand within the Chamber between divisions.

It doesn't mention anything specifically about jumpers, but I believe the issue is that the member was not in business dress for contribution to the debate; whereas him dressing as he was for voting would have been acceptable. Very little of the dresscode is gendered, the only bit that is specifies a change to historic guidelines.

https://www.parliament.uk/globalasse...ember-2018.pdf
Hallouminatus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hallouminatus)
Dress codes should be more relaxed, and should be gender-neutral. Until that happens, perhaps male MPs who don't feel like wearing a jacket and tie could temporarily self-identify as women. Would that be allowed?
Reading the link posted above, I see the relaxation and removal of gender-specific rules seems to be well underway. It says: It is no longer a
requirement for men to wear a tie, but jackets should be worn, which I think means everyone has to wear a jacket and no-one has to wear a tie, though they could have made that clearer.
[cross-posted with 04MR17]
Last edited by Hallouminatus; 1 month ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wellington is the seat of the NZ government and there was recently a blow up over a Maori MP being ejected from the chamber for dress code violations around his 'tie' - in the end they ditched the tie requirement :lol: - unfortunately, whilst i agreed with his point he tried to make the issue one of race which irritated people a bit.
username5668082
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it is perfectly reasonable as a request.

My cousin's dad had an email from my cousin's school asking parents not to be naked when home schooling on Zoom calls!
Genaro_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is the issue here?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (440)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (335)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (417)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.03%
Loneliness (256)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (263)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (282)
9.45%

Watched Threads