The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samie03
hey, does anyone know which hall is the best to live in?

Hi! You don't get to choose what halls you get at St. Andrews. You pick self catered/catered, single/twin room etc. and then they allocate you one.
Reply 41
Original post by bananas44
Hi! You don't get to choose what halls you get at St. Andrews. You pick self catered/catered, single/twin room etc. and then they allocate you one.

Ahh ok, Thank you!
Reply 42
Original post by bananas44

Nearly right! The options (in order of cost) are:
Standard self catered (£5,610) - there is VERY LITTLE of this, about 40 rooms for all first years, so you have to be very lucky to get it.
Andrew Melville (standard catered) (£6,485)
Standard catered (£7,368)
En suite self catered (£6,964)
En suite catered (£9,523)

You can express a preference for single or shared, but people who did not want to share are sometimes allocated a shared room, but most find it works out well.
Original post by TCL
Standard self catered (£5,610) - there is VERY LITTLE of this, about 40 rooms for all first years, so you have to be very lucky to get it.

You can express a preference for single or shared, but people who did not want to share are sometimes allocated a shared room, but most find it works out well.

Does accommodation booking open on April 1st? Because I know someone at StA and they said you get an email around may-time to book it.
Original post by TCL

Ah ok! Thank you, I had briefly read about it but that clears it all up. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Sososnake
Does accommodation booking open on April 1st? Because I know someone at StA and they said you get an email around may-time to book it.

Last year they opened 1st April and closed 30th June and started allocating in July. They don't allocate until your offer is unconditional. They say that at the end of June they apportion the types of accommodation to each cohort based on what each cohort requests. I am not sure whether it is supposed to make a difference but my son got his application in on 1st April and got his first choice, so if you have firmed by the end of March, it is probably a good idea to apply for accom on 1 April if the dates are the same this year..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCL
Last year they opened 1st April and closed 30th June and started allocating in July. They don't allocate until your offer is unconditional. They say that at the end of June they apportion the types of accommodation to each cohort based on what each cohort requests. I am not sure whether it is supposed to make a difference but my son got his application in on 1st April and got his first choice, so if you have firmed by the end of March, it is probably a good idea to apply for accom on 1 April if the dates are the same this year..

Ah ok sounds perfect! So if my offer is already unconditional do I get allocated earlier than everyone with conditional offers? Thanks :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Sososnake
Ah ok sounds perfect! So if my offer is already unconditional do I get allocated earlier than everyone with conditional offers? Thanks :smile:

You should get yours in early July, but results are early this year, so maybe everybody will get them around the same time. They keep some of each type of accommodation for each category of offer anyway.

Edit - results day is 10th Aug, so gap year applicants will hear first. In normal years it is very stressful for Y13s as they get their accommodation offer a week before they move in!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCL
You should get yours in early July, but results are early this year, so maybe everybody will get them around the same time. They keep some of each type of accommodation for each category of offer anyway.

Edit - results day is 10th Aug, so gap year applicants will hear first. In normal years it is very stressful for Y13s as they get their accommodation offer a week before they move in!

Oh wow that's scary! Thanks for all the info! Now I just have to decide where to firm :/
Hey, I am a Scottish applicant and have been given the English route. This is my top choice and I am super excited to meet some of you!!
Hi, does anyone know if St Andrews has accomodation specific for Young Carers? Or would I have to go for private accomodation?
Reply 51
Original post by LunaMoon1290
Hi, does anyone know if St Andrews has accomodation specific for Young Carers? Or would I have to go for private accomodation?

If the person you care for is coming to university with you it is probably best to ask the accommodation office. They have some family accommodation for post grads. Otherwise, if it is just you, does being a young carer affect your accommodation needs? Probably best just to ask the accommodation office anyway.
Original post by sometimeslight
I'm in the exact same situation lol, I'm leaning to St Andrews because of rep and academic intensity but also Bristol because of nightlife+ less isolated. I feel like their courses are pretty equal in how good they are.

Am I being overly critical in thinking St Andrews has a dead social side? I just don't want to feel like I'm in a uni where I'm wasting my youth lmfao

Oh my I can’t believe you’re picking between the same two as well!! I’m still very stuck, are you leaning towards either a bit more now?
Original post by purpleflamingo
Oh my I can’t believe you’re picking between the same two as well!! I’m still very stuck, are you leaning towards either a bit more now?

hahaha such a weird coincidence fr, you were one of those few people not on hold for Bristol, right?

I always put Bristol ahead of St. Andrews until I researched St Andrews properly. Since actually taking the time to do my research though, I'm leaning heavily towards St Andrews. The course, the student satisfaction, the anecdotes I've heard from students, the location, the unconventional nightlife and the rankings, imo, place it firmly above bristol

Biggest cons I've heard people say are that it's isolated (but there's a stong St Andrews community) and that accommodation is expensive (Bristol is far from cheap), lmk what you're thinking :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by sometimeslight
hahaha such a weird coincidence fr, you were one of those few people not on hold for Bristol, right?

I always put Bristol ahead of St. Andrews until I researched St Andrews properly. Since actually taking the time to do my research though, I'm leaning heavily towards St Andrews. The course, the student satisfaction, the anecdotes I've heard from students, the location, the unconventional nightlife and the rankings, imo, place it firmly above bristol

Biggest cons I've heard people say are that it's isolated (but there's a stong St Andrews community) and that accommodation is expensive (Bristol is far from cheap), lmk what you're thinking :smile:

Accommodation price is a strange thing. The halls look expensive at first sight, but actually the standard catered accommodation is very good value, AMH (St A) is £6,485, which is nominally £3,926 + £2,559 for catering, which includes 3 meals/day and breakfast/lunch at weekends. For that you even get your bathroom cleaned every day! Hiatt Baker (Bristol) is £7,770 catered without en suite, does not include lunch and is MUCH further from the medical school! HB en suite non-catered is £7,455, DRA (St A) en suite non-catered is £6,964 and much nicer and closer. Private accommodation is expensive at St A, but they always have about 50% of their accommodation available to returning students.

Some big differences for you are whether you want dissection, which is a major part of the St A course, and whether you would prefer to do a full intercalation - Bristol lets you do it at another university and the range of options is diverse
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys, I just received my offer today !!
when do we apply for accommodation ?
(Sorry if this question has been asked/answered)
Reply 56
Original post by #stressed
Hey guys, I just received my offer today !!
when do we apply for accommodation ?
(Sorry if this question has been asked/answered)

Last year accommodation opened 1st April and you had to apply by 30th June. They do not allocate until your offer is unconditional, so gap year applicants will start to get offers mid July, A level applicants don't know what they have been allocated until the end of August. The accommodation office keep a share of each accommodation type for each group with results on different days. They don't say that they allocate in order of application, but may be worth getting it in early if you have decided.
Original post by TCL
Last year accommodation opened 1st April and you had to apply by 30th June. They do not allocate until your offer is unconditional, so gap year applicants will start to get offers mid July, A level applicants don't know what they have been allocated until the end of August. The accommodation office keep a share of each accommodation type for each group with results on different days. They don't say that they allocate in order of application, but may be worth getting it in early if you have decided.

Thank you !
Hey guys,

Congratulations on hearing back from St. Andrews A990. Just thought I'd start a new discussion for students who have received offers for A990. Hope to see you guys in September. 😊😊😁
Original post by purpleflamingo
Hi guys!! I’ve got a Bristol offer as well as a St. Andrews one and they’re both my favourites out of the four. Going to find it so hard to pick!! :/

Hey, I was just wondering what day you heard back from St Andrews?

Latest

Trending

Trending