The Student Room Group

MPhil Computational Biology

Has anyone heard back from their MPhil Computational Biology applications yet (including rejections). My application has been under review by the department for almost 7 weeks now, is this normal? Do they wait for the window to close before reviewing?

Scroll to see replies

I've been on submitted for almost 3 weeks now.
They say they review applications in batches and then shortlist applicants for an interview. So maybe a batch is in progress now, waiting for more applications before being looked at/shortlisting applicants
Original post by sunshinebanana
I've been on submitted for almost 3 weeks now.
They say they review applications in batches and then shortlist applicants for an interview. So maybe a batch is in progress now, waiting for more applications before being looked at/shortlisting applicants

I applied mid-late November and have been on department review from about two or three days after applying. I'm sorting of expecting (hoping) to be called to interview imminently but there's no use in worrying about it I suppose.
Hey team, my portal updated to 'Under review by degree committee' today which is cool.

I was expecting to be called to interview given what it says on the course webpage:

'Applications are under review between September and April, and are normally reviewed in batches. Applicants are shortlisted for interview (usually held via Skype) before a final decision is taken.'

I wonder if this means I won't be interviewing or if they've decided not to conduct interviews this year?
Reply 4
Original post by CamEngineer
Hey team, my portal updated to 'Under review by degree committee' today which is cool.

I was expecting to be called to interview given what it says on the course webpage:

'Applications are under review between September and April, and are normally reviewed in batches. Applicants are shortlisted for interview (usually held via Skype) before a final decision is taken.'

I wonder if this means I won't be interviewing or if they've decided not to conduct interviews this year?

Oh nice, congrats! Do you have any idea what the degree committee actually review applicants on? Don't think I fully understood from the webpage.

Yeah I have to say I was definitely expecting interviews, all the previous cohorts had them. Think interviews only happen under department review so I would wager they won't be interviewing you as part of the application process (could be wrong, also they might interview you post-offer as more of a meet-up?). Don't know if they'll do this for everyone though, we shall see hopefully!
Original post by hennells0
Oh nice, congrats! Do you have any idea what the degree committee actually review applicants on? Don't think I fully understood from the webpage.

Yeah I have to say I was definitely expecting interviews, all the previous cohorts had them. Think interviews only happen under department review so I would wager they won't be interviewing you as part of the application process (could be wrong, also they might interview you post-offer as more of a meet-up?). Don't know if they'll do this for everyone though, we shall see hopefully!

The website was pretty vague - as MPhill candidates I don't think we'll have supervisors in the same way that PHD candidates do and that seems to be mostly what the Degree Committee step is for. I don't think it's the practically nailed on acceptance that PAO seems to be but honestly who knows.
Reply 6
My application got to degree committee as well. Did anyone get an interview? This is very strange!
I applied for two Cambridge programmes:
- Advanced Computer Science, submitted mid Dec, interview invitation early Feb, interviewed mid Feb, *still* under assessment by department (been 5 weeks since interview!);
- Computational Biology, submitted late Jan, no interview yet, degree committee today.
I understand they are from different departments but the way Cambridge admissions work is so confusing.
Btw is Comp Bio everyone's first choice? I am tempted to take up a Machine Learning offer at UCL...
Original post by hennells0
Has anyone heard back from their MPhil Computational Biology applications yet (including rejections). My application has been under review by the department for almost 7 weeks now, is this normal? Do they wait for the window to close before reviewing?

It will take upto 12 weeks for Cambridge to make a decision. Be patient - the pandemic has slowed things down massively. It took 6 months for me to get my PhD offer from another leading uni, even though they said 6-8 weeks was the usual time frame.
Reply 8
Anyone else still stuck on under review by department?
Hey all, I went to PAO at some point this afternoon which I'm rather pleased with.

So I was only on degree committee for about 2 days total.

Best of luck to the rest of you, I hope to see you in October.
Reply 10
Hey all, I went to PAO at some point this afternoon which I'm rather pleased with.

Huge congrats! I’m still at degree committee.
I’m wondering if Cambridge accepts deferral? It is currently my backup plan for a masters at UCL but I’m considering taking it as a second masters next year (should they offer me a place).
Reply 11

Also - I presume you didn’t attend an interview. But did you receive an email from them for recommending you?
Original post by cngzlsh
Also - I presume you didn’t attend an interview. But did you receive an email from them for recommending you?

Ill try to answer both questions:

- No interview, no email. I've literally received no form of communication from the department itself as far as I'm aware.
- I don't know about deferrals. Anecdotally I've heard you need a good reason for doing a second master's degree at Cam, they don't like people 'collecting' masters. I wrote a lot about how I'm keen to apply my engineering expertise from my MEng to biological systems and how there would be synergies there in my application. Again, that's purely anecdotal.
What projects is everyone working on? Do you know this in advance of getting an offer?
Reply 14
My application went from degree committee Tuesday (16th March) and then to PAO today (19th March).

Original post by StarLinyx
What projects is everyone working on? Do you know this in advance of getting an offer?

The project is part of a 3 month internship so I imagine we don’t decide / find out until later into the course. I didn’t write anything about it in my application.
Reply 15
I was moved to PAO as well.
Original post by Xetroll
My application went from degree committee Tuesday (16th March) and then to PAO today (19th March).

The project is part of a 3 month internship so I imagine we don’t decide / find out until later into the course. I didn’t write anything about it in my application.

Original post by cngzlsh
I was moved to PAO as well.

Congrats both!
Original post by StarLinyx

It's an 11 month mostly taught course that I imagine most students don't use as the first year of their phd so we don't all have a project in the way a phd candidate might have.

Having said that, I'd be keen to the the internship around control theory + genetic circuits or the dynamic analysis of genetic circuits.
Reply 18
Cambridge released admission statistics for last years applicants a few days ago if anyone is interested. It lists their degree(s), country, if they were offered and if they accepted. Out of 142 applicants, 42 were offered (29.6%) and 23 accepted (16.2%). I would post the link but it’s against TSR rules. You can find it easily though by searching the name of the course on WhatDoTheyKnow and looking at the latest post.
It's an 11 month mostly taught course that I imagine most students don't use as the first year of their phd so we don't all have a project in the way a phd candidate might have.

Having said that, I'd be keen to the the internship around control theory + genetic circuits or the dynamic analysis of genetic circuits.

Why do the MPhil ahead of a PhD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending