The Student Room Group

This is bothering me a lot but what can I do.. would it bother you?

This may sound like a first world problem but it’s really playing on my mind.

Basically my manager was discussing a retired collegue with me, this collegue wanted to return as a volunteer. He told me that he didn’t want the headache (she was quite wild) and said he’d rather have 1 of me or my teammate than 10 of her.

He said there’s more to volunteering in healthcare theres safety, I interrupted and said ‘yea and accountability’. For some reason He misheard this as me saying ‘I’m a nice person’. He suddenly replied with a bit of a laugh ‘your a nice person yea we all know that rachel ha but it’s about professionalism, accountability’.

I said ‘no that’s what I said accountability’ he didn’t seem to acknowledge and carried on.

I’m quite embarrased that he thought I said I was a nice person. It’s just a bit cringe to me.
Also he sees me as a bit of a people pleaser which just makes it more embarrassing for me.

But I can’t correct this can I it’s not substantial enough to bring up with him....

Don’t know why it bothers me so much. Would it bother you?

Scroll to see replies

yh these sorts of things bother me too even though its tiny like idk why i think so much about what others think of me :confused:
yeah, that would bother me too.
Original post by Anonymous

Basically my manager was discussing a retired collegue with me, this collegue wanted to return as a volunteer. He told me that he didn’t want the headache (she was quite wild) and said he’d rather have 1 of me or my teammate than 10 of her.

He said there’s more to volunteering in healthcare theres safety, I interrupted and said ‘yea and accountability’. For some reason He misheard this as me saying ‘I’m a nice person’. He suddenly replied with a bit of a laugh ‘your a nice person yea we all know that rachel ha but it’s about professionalism, accountability’.

I said ‘no that’s what I said accountability’ he didn’t seem to acknowledge and carried on.

I’m quite embarrased that he thought I said I was a nice person. It’s just a bit cringe to me.
Also he sees me as a bit of a people pleaser which just makes it more embarrassing for me.

But I can’t correct this can I it’s not substantial enough to bring up with him....

I understand why it would be bothering you, especially if you’re the type of person who likes people to think of you in a certain way and cares about what others think of you. You’re right in saying that it’s not substantial enough to be brought up and I think that’s because you know that he wouldn’t have thought much about it/dwelled on it like you have. I know it’s difficult, but try not to think so much about it and remember that we focus on what we’ve done and remember our seemingly embarrassing moments wayyy more then anyone else does :smile:
Reply 4
I understand why it would be bothering you, especially if you’re the type of person who likes people to think of you in a certain way and cares about what others think of you. You’re right in saying that it’s not substantial enough to be brought up and I think that’s because you know that he wouldn’t have thought much about it/dwelled on it like you have. I know it’s difficult, but try not to think so much about it and remember that we focus on what we’ve done and remember our seemingly embarrassing moments wayyy more then anyone else does :smile:

Thanks. Given his reaction (he was laughing a bit in a disproving way) he will probably remember it. I think I do t want to bring up as it might make me sound a bit weird. I will take your advice though thanks

I’m not sure how I can correct this really.. if anyone has any ideas...
Reply 5
yeah, that would bother me too.

How would you correct it or redeem yourself?
How would you correct it or redeem yourself?

I would step up and correct him and tell him what you actually said (again) or you won't actually get over it, takes a bit of courage but i'm sure you can do it.
Reply 7
I would step up and correct him and tell him what you actually said (again) or you won't actually get over it, takes a bit of courage but i'm sure you can do it.

Would you really?

Do you not think it would be weird bringing it up?
Would you really?

Do you not think it would be weird bringing it up?

Yes, I would, I don't think it would be weird at all. As long as you maintain professionalism, he would understand I'm sure.
Thanks. Given his reaction (he was laughing a bit in a disproving way) he will probably remember it. I think I do t want to bring up as it might make me sound a bit weird. I will take your advice though thanks

I’m not sure how I can correct this really.. if anyone has any ideas...

If it’s the only way to put your mind at ease maybe try something like ‘hey so and so, i was thinking about our conversation yesterday/whenever it was and I wanted to bring it up because i don’t want you to think I’m full of myself. you misheard me when you thought i said that i was a nice person, and this isn’t what i said’ etc.

Yeah it would bother me is well, but, not like he's gonna get a huge megaphone and scream out to everyone in your workplace that you're nice or anything like that lmfao. Let him think what he wants ig
That would bother me too. I hate stupid misunderstandings like that.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Yeah it would bother me is well, but, not like he's gonna get a huge megaphone and scream out to everyone in your workplace that you're nice or anything like that lmfao. Let him think what he wants ig

Ive worked with him for nearly years if it makes a difference.

See I’m hesitant to bring it up with him as I already come across as a people pleaser and so am not sure if mentioning it will seem weird.. if you know what I mean. I don’t know if I’m better just leaving it and maybe putting myself down a bit to try and counterbalance
Original post by issawrap
That would bother me too. I hate stupid misunderstandings like that.

Would you do anything about it? It will be next Monday when I see him now
Ive worked with him for nearly years if it makes a difference.

See I’m hesitant to bring it up with him as I already come across as a people pleaser and so am not sure if mentioning it will seem weird.. if you know what I mean. I don’t know if I’m better just leaving it and maybe putting myself down a bit to try and counterbalance

Don't overthink it.

I think yeah best not to mention it especially if he seems like someone who would get a kick out of you being bothered by what he said. Just leave it, and try and counterbalance it ig
That would bother me but it's healthier to try and let it go
Would you do anything about it? It will be next Monday when I see him now

No, you don't need to do anything. The misunderstanding is on him only, it's not your responsibility to fix his understanding, especially for something that probably doesn't matter to him.

I'd just leave it.
Original post by Vapordave
That would bother me but it's healthier to try and let it go

Would you do anything about it? Or would that be even weirder..

I want a poll on this! Who would bring it back up with him to correct themselves and who wouldn’t lol.

I’m thinking of actually doing it but am thinking of how to make it as subtle as possible
Being a nice person matters a lot and your manager acknowledging this is a good thing. You corrected him once, maybe he heard but he clearly wasn't annoyed by it. If you want to show you're not a people pleaser, try to stand up for yourself (as you did by correcting him), speak louder, look people in the eye etc
Would you do anything about it? Or would that be even weirder..

I want a poll on this! Who would bring it back up with him to correct themselves and who wouldn’t lol.

I’m thinking of actually doing it but am thinking of how to make it as subtle as possible

I wouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending