How do I rearrange this formula to make P the subject?

Watch
lyonbabe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The formula is g = 3/4p + 7 I have gotten up to g - 7 - 3 =/4p but what do I do with the leftover division sign?

Do I multiply or divide here? From there I got it to 4pg - 28p - 12p = 16p by multiplying by 4 on both sides. Then I was going to divide by 16p on both sides to get p alone, however, something tells me this is wrong 😅

Can someone please help me solve this.
thrwawy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lyonbabe)
The formula is g = 3/4p + 7 I have gotten up to g - 7 - 3 =/4p but what do I do with the leftover division sign?

Do I multiply or divide here? From there I got it to 4pg - 28p - 12p = 16p by multiplying by 4 on both sides. Then I was going to divide by 16p on both sides to get p alone, however, something tells me this is wrong 😅

g = 3/4p + 7

4g = 3/p + 28

4g - 28 = 3/p

(4g - 28)/3 = 1/p

3/(4g -28) = p
mra1108
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

You got it close. But that just make things out of hand. I would suggest to start from the original formula and use Those (or both) to get your answer. Hint: 4.

(Original post by thrwawy)
Hello, thrwawy, as the OP needs help, I would suggest not to give the answer directly. We should be the one who guides them to the correct answer and not do all the work for them as to encourage the OP's learning. Thank you.

*Hold on... I'm a bit confused. Is it 3/4p as in 3 over 4p, or 3 over 4 multiplied by p?*
Last edited by mra1108; 4 months ago
lyonbabe
Rep:
?
"*Hold on... I'm a bit confused. Is it 3/4p as in 3 over 4p, or 3 over 4 multiplied by p?*"

Hiya this is how it was written on the PowerPoint so I am not sure myself
lyonbabe
Rep:
?
(Original post by thrwawy)
g = 3/4p + 7

4g = 3/p + 28

4g - 28 = 3/p

(4g - 28)/3 = 1/p

3/(4g -28) = p
Hiya why did you put brackets in? And on the second row where you multiply both sides by 4, why didn't you multiply 3/p by 4?

Thanks
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya why did you put brackets in? And on the second row where you multiply both sides by 4, why didn't you multiply 3/p by 4?

Thanks
the brackets are put in because you're dividing both the 4g and the -28 by 3.
On the second line, the 3/p was divided by 4

\frac{3}{4p} multiplied by 4 is \frac{3*4}{4p}

this is the same as \frac{3}{p} as the 4's cancel out
lyonbabe
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
the brackets are put in because you're dividing both the 4g and the -28 by 3.
On the second line, the 3/p was divided by 4

\frac{3}{4p} multiplied by 4 is \frac{3*4}{4p}

this is the same as \frac{3}{p} as the 4's cancel out
Ooh OK thank you very much for explaining that.
lyonbabe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mra1108)
You got it close. But that just make things out of hand. I would suggest to start from the original formula and use Those (or both) to get your answer. Hint: 4.

Hello, thrwawy, as the OP needs help, I would suggest not to give the answer directly. We should be the one who guides them to the correct answer and not do all the work for them as to encourage the OP's learning. Thank you.

*Hold on... I'm a bit confused. Is it 3/4p as in 3 over 4p, or 3 over 4 multiplied by p?*
Can I ask what you meant by "those or both"? Thanks
thrwawy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If it was 3/4 multiplied by p then it would be 3p/4
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads