Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    rite, my situation is that i have all my replies, offers from Manchester (ABB), Loughborough (BBB or ABC), Sheffield (BBB or ABC or ADD), Reading (ABB) and Oxford Brookes (BBC) and a rejection from nottingham.

at the moment i would say that i will get ABC but ABB isn't the most impossible thing either. I want to hopefully become a chartered accountant or do something into human resources and the 2 unis i most want to go to are Manc and Lough.

Manchesters course is International Business, Economics and Finance and Loughboroughs is Accounting and Financial management. according to the Times, under Business Lough is ranked 9th and Manc is 11th.

Now i have had a circular argument in my head for the past 1-2 months on what should be my firm and insurance choices.

On one hand, Lough is the highest ranked out of the 2, i have attended a business 'visit' day and was very impressed..and i am sporty so lough may suit me better than manc for that. However, the course is slightly basic and doesn't involve as much maths as i would like. Also most people i've asked 'Lough or Manc' to they've replied with 'wheres Loughborough?'

Manchester is known throughout the world and has the reputation there and at the end of the day it would look better on my CV than Loughborough. Its also a huge city compared to Loughborough which is tiny. Also if i put manc as my firm choice and not lough and i don't get the ABB, i will not be gauranteed a place in the halls in lough...oh and i'm also a huge Man Utd fan.

any advice which doesn't confuse me any further would be much appreciated. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Manc's the place to go really. Have you visited it?

ReputationRep:
    i plan to go to the visit day on 23rd feb..theres another thing..i want to reply to the ucas form of which is my 1st and 2nd choice as quickly as possible as i want a good accomodation, leaving it to late feb may be a lil late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1000udie)
    i plan to go to the visit day on 23rd feb..theres another thing..i want to reply to the ucas form of which is my 1st and 2nd choice as quickly as possible as i want a good accomodation, leaving it to late feb may be a lil late
    Nah I wouldn't have thought so. It's better to leave it right up to the deadline and know you've made the right choice rather than rush into something and try to get out of it later. I've had all my offers for ages now, but I'll be leaving it a good couple of months before I reply, because I want to make absolutely sure

ReputationRep:
    You can’t just base it on how it’s ranked under the Business section, as the IBFE also contains Economics and Manchester is ranked 10th for Economics. The IBFE doesn’t seem to contain that much maths though and would definitely have better job prospects then Lough. I also have an offer for it and it will be my 1st choice (should I get rejected from Notts), as the course contents looks really interesting as you study such a range of topics based around business/finance/econ.

Plus manc will have a better nightlife and heard Loughborough is supposed to be crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Nah I wouldn't have thought so. It's better to leave it right up to the deadline and know you've made the right choice rather than rush into something and try to get out of it later. I've had all my offers for ages now, but I'll be leaving it a good couple of months before I reply, because I want to make absolutely sure
    Hey Ellie did you have a good night out?

Btw is there a deadline for when you have to select your 1st and 2nd choice, or do you have to do it a certain time once you've recieved your offers?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think when you reply makes any difference to what accommodation you get at manchester. i think they wait until the deadline for replies and then start sorting it out. I sent my form off at the beginning of feb and still only got my third choice when my friend sent him off in may and got his first choice accommodation. I wouldn't worry too much about the accommodation thing in loubourough, it's not like you're going to end up living on your own either way.

I'm at the manchester buisness school now so maybe i'm biased but i'd say go with manchester. they have loads of links with companies which is very helpful. there are lots of sporting facilities available if you chose to use them and although i've never been to loubourough, manchester is a great city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Hey Ellie did you have a good night out?

Btw is there a deadline for when you have to select your 1st and 2nd choice, or do you have to do it a certain time once you've recieved your offers?
    I had a great night out thanks Feeling the effects of it with a nasty hangover today though And yep, depending on when you recieve your last offer, you have a certain amount of time to reply to it. I think my deadline is in April (the earliest one). It's all on the UCAS website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnight)
    I don't think when you reply makes any difference to what accommodation you get at manchester. i think they wait until the deadline for replies and then start sorting it out. I sent my form off at the beginning of feb and still only got my third choice when my friend sent him off in may and got his first choice accommodation. I wouldn't worry too much about the accommodation thing in loubourough, it's not like you're going to end up living on your own either way.

I'm at the manchester buisness school now so maybe i'm biased but i'd say go with manchester. they have loads of links with companies which is very helpful. there are lots of sporting facilities available if you chose to use them and although i've never been to loubourough, manchester is a great city.
    Hey just noticed that your also from Coventry (same as me).

Also when you fill out your accom. form for manchester it says you have to write about your achievements/interests, will what you write in there effect where you end up.

ReputationRep:
    well i thought that they'd put you with people of similar interests or something but it doesn't seem like they actually bothered to do that. the only thing that i've got in common with my flatmates is the fact that we all really like music, but then we all like different types. its's the same with other people i've spoken to so i don't really know what the point of having to write anything is in all honesty

ReputationRep:
    I would go to Manchester instead of Loughborough. The guardian league table has Manchester in the top instead of Loughborough though.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, where do you live, cos if you live near to loughborough it may affect ur chances of getting accomdation (even if you heldf it as a firm choice), but if you dont, it should be alright. My brother got into southampton as his insurance choice and his accom was fine. He had 2 share a room for the first couple of weeks but at least he was in the halls of residence.

That aside id go for manchester, seems more lively and interseting. Ive had an offer from loughborough but im not really sure about it cos it doesnt seem like a very exciting place. Also, well done on getting all ur offers so quickly, im still waiting for 2 of mine and no1 from my skool has had all their replies yet!

Finally, as for you being a man utd fan, boo! how much did u pay the linesman the other day to disallow our goal?? Good result on saturday as well, hehe, come on Exeter! :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSPROAT)
    Finally, as for you being a man utd fan, boo! how much did u pay the linesman the other day to disallow our goal?? Good result on saturday as well, hehe, come on Exeter! :aetsch:
    hehe..yeh i'm in North Devon so lough and manc are pretty far. Also staying with Devon - i'm sorted for the return with exeter

oh...and we didn't pay the ref anything...look for yourself, no goal.

thanks to all who have posted a reply so far. your advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    lol^

If you win the premiership by just one point this season.....

ReputationRep:
    has to be manc. remember, your only in halls for a year anyway usually

ReputationRep:
    I'd say chose Manc as the course sounds fantastic but you'll be missing the opportuinity to meet me if I end up at Loughborugh, which is quite a big sacrifice to make.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.