How important is contextual data?

Watch this thread
aaron2578
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So if I'm eligible for a contextual offer/ a flag at a university and I apply there, how much will they care about that aspect? Will it be a huge advantage, or only used in borderline decisions?

Also, say at another university the eligibility criteria is different and I'm not eligible, will they still take into account my contextual data?
aliaa03
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I also qualified for a contextual offer.

Universities have a set amount of offers they give for contextual offer people, and since they don't have as many people who meet the contextual offer conditions as the regular offer conditions, it does work to your advantage and increase your chance of an offer!

If at another university you don't meet the contextual offer criteria unfortunately they won't take into account your circumstances // background as unless you DO qualify for contextual it would be seen as discrimination / bias against other pupils who also e.g come from a low polar postcode but still didn't qualify.

Hope this helps
aaron2578
Rep:
(Original post by aliaa03)
Hi!

Universities have a set amount of offers they give for contextual offer people, and since they don't have as many people who meet the contextual offer conditions as the regular offer conditions, it does work to your advantage and increase your chance of an offer!

If at another university you don't meet the contextual offer criteria unfortunately they won't take into account your circumstances // background as unless you DO qualify for contextual it would be seen as discrimination / bias against other pupils who also e.g come from a low polar postcode but still didn't qualify.

Hope this helps
Thanks! So its quite a big advantage would you say?
aliaa03
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aaron2578)
Thanks! So its quite a big advantage would you say?
yes i'd say so!!! the whole point of contextual offers is to offer a larger chance to people from widening participation backgrounds
aaron2578
Rep:
yes i'd say so!!! the whole point of contextual offers is to offer a larger chance to people from widening participation backgrounds
Also, when applying to a university where I'm not eligible for a contextual offer, would I still be at a bit of an advantage compared to those from decent backgrounds who have no sort of contextual data at all?
aliaa03
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Also, when applying to a university where I'm not eligible for a contextual offer, would I still be at a bit of an advantage compared to those from decent backgrounds who have no sort of contextual data at all?
unfortunately not.

you either get considered as a widening participation applicant or a normal applicant, it's quite annoying :/
jackson222
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don’t think so, they’ll only take into consider contextual data if you qualify for the contextual offer
Last edited by jackson222; 1 year ago
aaron2578
Rep:
unfortunately not.

you either get considered as a widening participation applicant or a normal applicant, it's quite annoying :/
(Original post by jackson222)
I don’t think so, they’ll only take into consider contextual data if you qualify for the contextual offer
Damn that's a shame, thanks for the replies!
aliaa03
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Damn that's a shame, thanks for the replies!
no problem
Tomming57657
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi!

Hope this helps
Hi,
Did you get an offer from the Uni you qualified for a contextual offer at? I am eligible for an offer but I’m wondering whether my application will be seen as not as significant as normal applicants.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

Universities have a set amount of offers they give for contextual offer people,
No they don't.
They assess all applications in exactly the same way and if you qualify for a Contextual offer that it what you get at offer stage.
That is the only difference. Just the grades/offer. The rest of the process is exactly the same and no Uni has a quaota on the number od WP offers they make.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tomming57657)
I am eligible for an offer but I’m wondering whether my application will be seen as not as significant as normal applicants.
As above - you have no greater or lesser chance of getting an offer, its just the grades in your offer that will be different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads