The Student Room Group

Do you need to be passionate about a course to do it in University?

I don't feel passionate about any subjects, but I chose computer science anyway because it doesn't seem that bad. But everyone else in my year seems so interested in what they applied for.
so...
??
I don't think so tbh! I know plenty of people who did their course just because. People will respond saying you should do what you're passionate about...the thing is, not everyone is passionate about something. Or maybe they haven't found it yet. If you feel like you will be able to do it and at least not hate it, then go for it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't feel passionate about any subjects, but I chose computer science anyway because it doesn't seem that bad. But everyone else in my year seems so interested in what they applied for.
so...
??

i think if you don't have passion for your subject then you procrastinate and then you come out with a 2:2 at best... possibly a total fail or drop out
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i think if you don't have passion for your subject then you procrastinate and then you come out with a 2:2 at best... possibly a total fail or drop out

Passion is a very subjective thing to define. I personally think it's a bit doom and gloom to suggest that if you're not passionate you won't get better than a 2:2 etc. You don't need to be passionate about something to decide to work hard at it.
Reply 4
omg no way...i chose computer science Bsc at uni as well and i’m not that passionate about it either.

same position as you🤣
Why would you do a degree if you aren't passionate about it?
I know a dude who did CS and is now doing physiotherapy...dk whether its just me but its always people who've done CS who pull a mad shift later on in life :dontknow:

Not to put u off or anything!
Original post by Andy Dufresne
Passion is a very subjective thing to define. I personally think it's a bit doom and gloom to suggest that if you're not passionate you won't get better than a 2:2 etc. You don't need to be passionate about something to decide to work hard at it.

in principle, yes. but in practise the temptation is just too strong, like a drug
I'm not sure you have to be "passionate" about it but it would be best to choose something you enjoy or something you feel you'll do well at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending