First year of uni and im so lonely

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I started uni this academic year and I'm so grateful to have gotten in but I feel so isolated and yes I've made friends but I've not made many deep connections or friends that I would be life long friends. I just feel like this entire year has been awful and keeps getting worse as I see groups of friends being formed but I don't really have a group which just makes me think I'm not even worth knowing. I had such close friends at home and coming here I feel as though I have no one plus I feel like I'm loosing my friends at home. I genuinely have never felt this lonely in my life.
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it's a very strange year in general, and I'm certain a lot of people are feeling the same way. It's difficult to form deeper connections when your only contact is online. So hopefully it'll help knowing you're not alone. As for what you can do, try pushing yourself to get more involved. I'm not sure how clubs and societies are working but some would have transitioned online and if you join one you could chat with people you have something in common with. It also helps to take the initiative sometimes to organise study sessions, or some kind of zoom social evening.
Nighthawk29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I’m a first year too. And let me tell you, you’re not alone. For the first few weeks I was on the wrong course, and by the time I’d switched to the course I wanted to be on, the group had already gotten to know one another and I just felt awkward and separate to them. There’s only one or two people on the course that I’ve actually spoken to and built up some sort of a relationship with. I suffer from anxiety which makes it hard for me to meet new people, let alone become friends with them. I hate zoom calls, I feel like I’m surrounded by a bunch of strangers which makes me feel very uncomfortable. And because I feel this way I often decide not to turn up to my lectures/seminars because I don’t want to face it. I wish I didn’t feel this way bcos I really want to meet new people and feel engaged with my course, but I’m not sure if I’m in the right place mentally at the moment.
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am sorry you are going through this. University social life sucks. Maybe look into any clubs or teams that connect to something you are interested in and join one of those.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

I'm so sorry that you're feeling like this. University can be really challenging without a global pandemic in place - never mind WITH one!

It might be a good idea to speak to your academic advisor / tutor / wellbeing services about how you've been feeling. They may propose really useful, beneficial solutions for you at this stage. It can be quite daunting at first, but you may get some really great advice that really helps you out. As well, I know this is quite difficult during a pandemic, however are you involved in any societies? These are a great way to make friends with people that have the same interests as you - which is really good! If there aren't any societies that have caught your eye, is there any volunteering you can do with your student union, just so you can see some new faces and be yourself!

Hopefully that's helpful. As well, try not to compare yourself as hard as that is. It's so easy to believe altered perceptions of friendship groups on social media. In regards to your friends from home, maybe try to speak to them about how you're feeling - maybe schedule a weekly facetime?

Best of luck to you

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Anonymous
Sorry you feel that way. It’s certainly been harder making friends this year. I think there are likely to be other people who feel the same way! I highly recommend joining a society even if it’s operating online to make friends or looking if your university has an buddy schemes where maybe other students can advise you about how they have made friends ? Have a look out of your university does any well-being events to chat with other people as well ! And maybe look for ways to communicate with your classmates, maybe talk to different people in lecturers or see if there are any class chats !
I’m sure there will be other people feeling the same, and from my experience at my uni you are never really done with meeting new people so you might meet them during other modules, years etc.
Good luck at university !
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads