Worried I'll struggle to make friends at uni...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've applied to go to UOY and I'm quite worried that if I get a place, I'll struggle to make many friends as I physically can't go to clubs (I'm epileptic and autistic)

I don't mind social drinking, but honestly I just couldn't handle going to a club or drinking until the early hours of the morning (and I couldn't go to a club if it had strobe lights, which I've heard a lot do?)

I really don't want people to think I'm boring when I say I can't go drinking...
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've applied to go to UOY and I'm quite worried that if I get a place, I'll struggle to make many friends as I physically can't go to clubs (I'm epileptic and autistic)

I don't mind social drinking, but honestly I just couldn't handle going to a club or drinking until the early hours of the morning (and I couldn't go to a club if it had strobe lights, which I've heard a lot do?)

I really don't want people to think I'm boring when I say I can't go drinking...
Anyone who thinks you're boring for this will probably not be your group of people. There's so many places you can make friends at uni if your willing to put yourself out there and meet new people societies are the way to go to find people with similar interests to you! (despite their reputation, I assure you not every uni student wants to spend every weekend pissed out their mind at a club!)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone who thinks you're boring for this will probably not be your group of people. There's so many places you can make friends at uni if your willing to put yourself out there and meet new people societies are the way to go to find people with similar interests to you! (despite their reputation, I assure you not every uni student wants to spend every weekend pissed out their mind at a club!)
I'm definitely going to try and look for a few societies to join if I get accepted thank you!
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No one who's worth your time will care.
a_j216
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i graduated 15 years ago.
i have lost contact with every 'uni friend' i made there.
so its not really a worry.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I thought I'd reach out to you to re-assure you that Uni is all down to what you're comfortable with. If you do make 'friends', and they treat you differently because they do see you as 'boring' or 'not fun' - they weren't great friends in the first place! I would recommend getting involved in societies / volunteering / anything that catches your eye that you may enjoy. Once you feel that you're comfortable to share that you're epileptic and autistic, you can make plans with them doing other things (and not just clubbing!).

Hopefully that's helpful, but University is definitely broad enough for you to do what YOU enjoy - don't forget that!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Don't worry. If you explain this to people, I am sure that they'll be understanding. My friends and I were much more of 'pubbers' than clubbers, and if someone wanted to go home and go to bed, there was no judgement. Just be open and honest, and I am sure that you will be fine.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'm definitely going to try and look for a few societies to join if I get accepted thank you!
No problem! Many universities have societies that are dedicated to those who don't drink or like clubbing for moral or health reasons, that could be a good place to start. Alternatively, many having gaming or movie societies. Trying a new sport is another good one if you'd like to keep more active. There is something for everyone at uni honestly! I loved it
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hello,

Hope you're doing okay

Please try not to worry about this!

I don't enjoy clubbing (I much prefer going to bandaoke at the SU!), but I still managed to make lots of friends when I started university.

You can meet people on your course, in your accommodation, at freshers' events outside of nightclubs... the list goes on!

Is there an applicant group on social media that you could join before you start university? That's a great way to get to know people before you arrive.

All the best

Sophie - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.85%
Uncertainty around my education (441)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (336)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.02%
Loneliness (256)
8.56%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (264)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.47%

Watched Threads