Thinking I might be trans

Watch
NotAHamster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Look, I've been thinking about this for a while, but I think I might be trans. Anyone have and small tips on things to do to try and be more comfortable and accepting of myself and how to come out to my friends? My family aren't exactly the number one supporters of the T in LGBT, and I don't have much control over my money, so ordering stuff at the moment to feel comfortable is a no-go until uni, but any advice would be much appreciated.

First time using student room, so hopw I put this in the right area e.e
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Are you male or female?
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NotAHamster)
Look, I've been thinking about this for a while, but I think I might be trans. Anyone have and small tips on things to do to try and be more comfortable and accepting of myself and how to come out to my friends? My family aren't exactly the number one supporters of the T in LGBT, and I don't have much control over my money, so ordering stuff at the moment to feel comfortable is a no-go until uni, but any advice would be much appreciated.

What gender were you assigned at birth? And why do you think you may be trans?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
What gender were you assigned at birth?
what does that mean?
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what does that mean?
It's the correct way to ask someone what gender they were born as without being offensive or transphobic
NotAHamster
Rep:
?
AMAB
NotAHamster
Rep:
?
What gender were you assigned at birth? And why do you think you may be trans?
AMAB, and I suppose irs always just been comfort? I never fit in doing guy things and a plethora of other reasons - I'd elaborate more but I'm sleepy cus its early
littlebirdyxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i

m not much help but good luck just remember dont hide how u feel for anyone.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask why you used you think and not that you are? Is there certain aspects you are still unsure about with transitioning?
NotAHamster
Rep:
?
Can I ask why you used you think and not that you are? Is there certain aspects you are still unsure about with transitioning?
More self doubt then anything- I've never had much self confidence so I'm worried about how others perceive me
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

how old are you?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
More self doubt then anything- I've never had much self confidence so I'm worried about how others perceive me
I understand. Before coming out to others, maybe try things that’ll give you more comfort. You’ve written in other responses that you’re AMAB so, assuming you’re transitioning MTF, I could advise you on a few things my transitioned friend had done before being able to fully transition.
A few things that could make you a little more comfortable is potentially coming out to closer friends or family. You could gradually tell a few people who would make you feel comfortable with this. If you believe your close friends or family members won’t be accepting of this, you can reach out to another transitioning or a fully transitioned community so you’ll have a safe space to speak about your progress, your feelings etc. You can also recommend the usage of she/her pronouns to others if you’re not ready to come out fully yet. For example, you could ask close friends to use she/her pronouns and ask them to be respectful in this time of exploring your identity. The same could apply with a name change (My friend had used a male associated name before transitioning. It’s not his legal name currently as he is a minor but, he asks the majority of his friends to use it when addressing him, to which they complied). Additionally, you can use your appearance as a way to make yourself feel comfortable. This is completely optional but, most transitioning people subtly change their hair or their sense of style. For example, you could potentially grow out your hair or wear clothes that you’ll feel more comfortable in. They don’t necessarily have to be feminine and it doesn’t have to be newly bought either. But again, this is completely optional and only if this change makes you comfortable. Remember that transitioning consists of a long period of time and it won’t happen overnight. It had taken my friend 4 years in total, and he still has not undergone surgery or consulted for testosterone. This is completely okay. There are so many changes that can be made before you are fully able to transition.
I wish you luck on your transitioning!
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AMAB, and I suppose irs always just been comfort? I never fit in doing guy things and a plethora of other reasons - I'd elaborate more but I'm sleepy cus its early
Ah right, never been into guy stuff myself either. Realised years ago that I'm non-binary (agender). It seems that a lot of people who are transgender have low self confidence, I think it's due to a mixture of not being happy in who they are, societal pressures to conform and fear of being rejected by people for who they are. Hopefully you grow in confidence though and find out who you are eventually

I understand. Before coming out to others, maybe try things that’ll give you more comfort. You’ve written in other responses that you’re AMAB so, assuming you’re transitioning MTF, I could advise you on a few things my transitioned friend had done before being able to fully transition.
A few things that could make you a little more comfortable is potentially coming out to closer friends or family. You could gradually tell a few people who would make you feel comfortable with this. If you believe your close friends or family members won’t be accepting of this, you can reach out to another transitioning or a fully transitioned community so you’ll have a safe space to speak about your progress, your feelings etc. You can also recommend the usage of she/her pronouns to others if you’re not ready to come out fully yet. For example, you could ask close friends to use she/her pronouns and ask them to be respectful in this time of exploring your identity. The same could apply with a name change (My friend had used a male associated name before transitioning. It’s not his legal name currently as he is a minor but, he asks the majority of his friends to use it when addressing him, to which they complied). Additionally, you can use your appearance as a way to make yourself feel comfortable. This is completely optional but, most transitioning people subtly change their hair or their sense of style. For example, you could potentially grow out your hair or wear clothes that you’ll feel more comfortable in. They don’t necessarily have to be feminine and it doesn’t have to be newly bought either. But again, this is completely optional and only if this change makes you comfortable. Remember that transitioning consists of a long period of time and it won’t happen overnight. It had taken my friend 4 years in total, and he still has not undergone surgery or consulted for testosterone. This is completely okay. There are so many changes that can be made before you are fully able to transition.
I wish you luck on your transitioning!
That's good advice tbh.
I have to say though, you're overlooking that being transgender includes more than just being male or female. There's a wide spectrum of gender identities that you can be.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Ah right, never been into guy stuff myself either. Realised years ago that I'm non-binary (agender). It seems that a lot of people who are transgender have low self confidence, I think it's due to a mixture of not being happy in who they are, societal pressures to conform and fear of being rejected by people for who they are. Hopefully you grow in confidence though and find out who you are eventually

That's good advice tbh.
I have to say though, you're overlooking that being transgender includes more than just being male or female. There's a wide spectrum of gender identities that you can be.
This is just me assuming the OP is MTF. I based my advice on what made my friend comfortable before a full transition. I’m not against the OP exploring the different spectrums of gender identity, their transition was just never explained in full depth but, they can twist my words to whichever makes them feel comfortable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads