Laser eye surgery in London

Watch
sumayaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

This question is from my brother not me, but I’ve posted it.

Who has had laser eye surgery and where did you get it done from (preferably in London)? If you didn’t get it done with London please still answer. Did you have any side effects such as dry eyes after the procedure and how well could you see after, compared to before you had it done? Please describe your overall experience.

Thank youuu
Kabzzzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I went to Optical Express in Westfield, Shepherd's Bush for my consultations. For the actual procedure, their surgery was more central. I think mine was near Covent Garden, but I can't remember. They have a few surgeries around London anyway.

During the procedure, you literally feel nothing. They just clamp your eye area so it's all exposed, put drops in, a machine presses down and slices the top layer of your eye, you look at a red light and then you're done. You can hear zapping and you do smell a bit of burning, but it's all painless. I know it sounds horrific, but the entire time you're just laying there looking straight.

Shortly after the procedure is when it gets a bit annoying. It's kind of like having sand in your eyes while chopping onions. So definitely go with someone, as they can help you navigate the tubes back home. You won't have to keep your eyes shut or anything, it's just irritating. I went to sleep when I got home and woke up after 2h and that sensation was gone. At this point, you actually do open your eyes and you have 20/20 vision. You will have red patches on your eyes for up to a week, and you'll need to wear sunglasses or the goggles they provide.

For about a year, I kept eye drops with me as your eyes can feel dry. Especially in this era where we're looking at screens all the time. But after that I didn't need to. And it's been around 4 years now and my vision is absolutely fine and I don't need to take any extra care. They provided good aftercare, there were checkups after a few days, a week, a month, 6 months etc. The cost just depends on your prescription. My friend got hers done for around £1300, mine was closer to £4000 and they do provide monthly finance options. This was years ago though, so I'm not sure how prices may have changed since.

Definitely something I would recommend. Not having to reach for glasses or shove contacts in has been amazing!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Hey!

I went to Optical Express in Westfield, Shepherd's Bush for my consultations. For the actual procedure, their surgery was more central. I think mine was near Covent Garden, but I can't remember. They have a few surgeries around London anyway.

During the procedure, you literally feel nothing. They just clamp your eye area so it's all exposed, put drops in, a machine presses down and slices the top layer of your eye, you look at a red light and then you're done. You can hear zapping and you do smell a bit of burning, but it's all painless. I know it sounds horrific, but the entire time you're just laying there looking straight.

Shortly after the procedure is when it gets a bit annoying. It's kind of like having sand in your eyes while chopping onions. So definitely go with someone, as they can help you navigate the tubes back home. You won't have to keep your eyes shut or anything, it's just irritating. I went to sleep when I got home and woke up after 2h and that sensation was gone. At this point, you actually do open your eyes and you have 20/20 vision. You will have red patches on your eyes for up to a week, and you'll need to wear sunglasses or the goggles they provide.

For about a year, I kept eye drops with me as your eyes can feel dry. Especially in this era where we're looking at screens all the time. But after that I didn't need to. And it's been around 4 years now and my vision is absolutely fine and I don't need to take any extra care. They provided good aftercare, there were checkups after a few days, a week, a month, 6 months etc. The cost just depends on your prescription. My friend got hers done for around £1300, mine was closer to £4000 and they do provide monthly finance options. This was years ago though, so I'm not sure how prices may have changed since.

Definitely something I would recommend. Not having to reach for glasses or shove contacts in has been amazing!
hey thanks for responding!

My brother asked if your night vision was affected and how? Did you get any halo effects, starbursts or blurriness after staring at screens for too long?

He’s concerned about the side effects as he works at a job where he uses screens for long periods of time. Our family has pretty bad vision and big eyes too lol so the price isn’t cheap, hence why he wants to research properly before investing in it.

Thank you again!
Kabzzzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
hey thanks for responding!

My brother asked if your night vision was affected and how? Did you get any halo effects, starbursts or blurriness after staring at screens for too long?

He’s concerned about the side effects as he works at a job where he uses screens for long periods of time. Our family has pretty bad vision and big eyes too lol so the price isn’t cheap, hence why he wants to research properly before investing in it.

Thank you again!
No problem! So when driving at night, initially all the lights did have a bit of a halo effect. It honestly wasn't that noticeable, and now it's not there at all. I used to work in IT full time, so I can confirm that staring at a screen hasn't done anything to me, other than contributing to dry eyes within the first year or so. And even then I would only use drops once or twice a day, if that. It helps to wear anti-glare glasses, though I think these are things that happen without getting lasik anyway.

I think age would be a factor to consider. They told me my eyes could still deteriotate with age, as in needing reading glasses at 40+.

Your best bet is to ask the professionals. I'm pretty sure initial consultations and eye tests were free, so maybe book one when he can.
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
No problem! So when driving at night, initially all the lights did have a bit of a halo effect. It honestly wasn't that noticeable, and now it's not there at all. I used to work in IT full time, so I can confirm that staring at a screen hasn't done anything to me, other than contributing to dry eyes within the first year or so. And even then I would only use drops once or twice a day, if that. It helps to wear anti-glare glasses, though I think these are things that happen without getting lasik anyway.

I think age would be a factor to consider. They told me my eyes could still deteriotate with age, as in needing reading glasses at 40+.

Your best bet is to ask the professionals. I'm pretty sure initial consultations and eye tests were free, so maybe book one when he can.
ah i see, thank you!

Yeah he had consultation appointments but just wanted to hear out the experiences of people who actually got it.

Thank you again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.57%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (183)
14.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.58%
Loneliness (114)
8.84%
Financial worries (45)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (59)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (118)
9.15%

Watched Threads