Supreme Court: Shamima Begum not allowed to come to the UK.

Watch
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to let you know I've edited the first post to be more neutral in tone since this is now the official thread for this news story. :yy:
spitfireee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Grow up, she is complicit in mass torture & genocide.

Hand her over to the Iraqi & Syrian criminal justice system.
Sorry, but she wasn't a complicit girl who stayed home and cooked while her husband went out. she stitched b*mb vests and recruited multiple other girls into the organisation. she didn't just act as a spouse of a terrorist, she was a terrorist even if it isn't officially recognised
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by spitfireee)
Sorry, but she wasn't a complicit girl who stayed home and cooked while her husband went out. she stitched b*mb vests and recruited multiple other girls into the organisation. she didn't just act as a spouse of a terrorist, she was a terrorist even if it isn't officially recognised
I know, that's why I said she was complicit.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A good decision but the real question is how much did this cost in legal fees? I wonder how many cases have been swept under the carpet due to fear of legal costs.
spitfireee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Perhaps because it is only white people who made the decision:
https://www.supremecourt.uk/about/bi...-justices.html
I don't disagree with their verdict, but it is the case that they are entirely white - not surprising considering the demographics of the legal profession.
i understand that, but i feel like the original poster was talking about the general public, as she mentioned "forgiveness" which is pretty irrelevant to the supreme court. i agree with the verdict though.
spitfireee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
I know, that's why I said she was complicit.
ah sorry, i took complicit to mean "bystander" rather than someone who's actively involved
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by spitfireee)
ah sorry, i took complicit to mean "bystander" rather than someone who's actively involved
No, complicit in something means you're v much involved and aware.

If you helped out in a more general unaware way you might be said to be facilitating
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here's one path Brexit changed to the Supreme European Court of Justice and the Court of Human Rights that was closed off as of 1 January 2021- the one previously exploited by the likes of Anjem Choudary and others so cynically.

I would think very many devout Muslims would say the decisions made will be judged by Allah and that her actions will not escape justice - either way.

The UK Supreme Court decision is, IMO, correct. Taking account of national security matters and the safety of the general public are not the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court unless specifically directed by the Home Secretary.

Allowing Begum to return would open up a rather large can-of-worms to say the least. That may still happen. But for now, her legal team must find a different way for her case to progress- if it ever will.

The extensive publicity should leave no-one in doubt that leaving the UK to support terrorism is a one way ticket.

I'm not losing any sleep over her plight.
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Here's one path Brexit changed to the Supreme European Court of Justice and hence the Court of Human Rights that was closed off as of 1 January 2021- the one previously exploited by the likes of Anjem Choudary and others so cynically.

I would think very many devout Muslims would say the decisions made will be judged by Allah and that her actions will not escape justice - either way.

The UK Supreme Court decision is, IMO, correct. Taking account of national security matters and the safety of the general public are not the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court unless specifically directed by the Home Secretary.

Allowing Begum to return would open up a rather large can-of-worms to say the least. That may still happen. But for now, her legal team must find a different way for her case to progress- if it ever will.

The extensive publicity should leave no-one in doubt that leaving the UK to support terrorism is a one way ticket.

I'm not losing any sleep over her plight.
This is bull****.

The European Court of Human Right is nothing to do with the EU and we remain member of the ECHR.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
This is bull****.

The European Court of Human Right is nothing to do with the EU and we remain member of the ECHR.
Ooohhh. Triggered. Lol.

The ECHR cannot compel the UK to follow judgements. Of course any judgement the UK decided not to follow may have other implications.

here you go: https://www.supremecourt.uk/about/th...nd-europe.html
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Ooohhh. Triggered. Lol.

The ECHR cannot compel the UK to follow judgements. Of course any judgement the UK decided not to follow may have other implications.

here you go: https://www.supremecourt.uk/about/th...nd-europe.html
Read your own link :facepalm2:

"The European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights exist separately from the European Union. The Supreme Court's relationship with the Strasbourg Court is not, therefore, changed by the UK's exit from the European Union."
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was torn by the argument that she was groomed at 14 but after reading some of the **** she got up to out there I am glad the decision has gone the way it has.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have no time for scum like her. She's never even made an effort to appear apathetic to the horrors she supported, even had the audacity to joke about heads in bins. She is disgusting, doesn't even care she let her own kids die.

Id rather the government spent money funding the Iraqi & Syrian criminal justice systems prosecuting Daesh members where they have the conviction repercussions to adequately deal with these people.

These people setup torture prisons, caged and burned people alive, live beheading in front of toddlers, threw people of cliffs, strapped bombs to kids chest connected to phones and sent them towards the Kurds.

She is a waste of skin.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The good news for Shamina is that according to Lord Reed, her legal fight over citizenship has merely been paused "until she is in a safer position to take part in her appeal".

How she is supposed to get to this "safer position" is unclear, seeing as the camp won't even allow her lawyers in. Oh well.
username5252878
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
The good news for Shamina is that according to Lord Reed, her legal fight over citizenship has merely been paused "until she is in a safer position to take part in her appeal".

How she is supposed to get to this "safer position" is unclear, seeing as the camp won't even allow her lawyers in. Oh well.
That’s the point, she can’t. The UK is just trying to be ‘fair’ but they themselves know that they don’t want her in the UK.

Even if it’s paused, it doesn’t make a significant difference, because weighing up all the options, she’s a severe danger to the UK.

For all we know and care, she could easily be exploited by ISIS to come here and cause turmoil.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
That’s the point, she can’t. The UK is just trying to be ‘fair’ but they themselves know that they don’t want her in the UK.

Even if it’s paused, it doesn’t make a significant difference, because weighing up all the options, she’s a severe danger to the UK.

For all we know and care, she could easily be exploited by ISIS to come here and cause turmoil.
The judiciary and Government are separate entities, law dictates she must have a fair trial whereas the Government don't want a fair trial.
username5252878
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The judiciary and Government are separate entities, law dictates she must have a fair trial whereas the Government don't want a fair trial.
‘Fair’ is subjective here. What one person might like, the other people will dislike.

Therefore, the concern of fair, can be amicable.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the instance of her appeal somehow coming to fruition then I look forward to the “enemies of the people” headlines regarding our judiciary then.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
‘Fair’ is subjective here. What one person might like, the other people will dislike.

Therefore, the concern of fair, can be amicable.
Fair is in fact dictated by law.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
I have no time for scum like her. She's never even made an effort to appear apathetic to the horrors she supported, even had the audacity to joke about heads in bins. She is disgusting, doesn't even care she let her own kids die.

Id rather the government spent money funding the Iraqi & Syrian criminal justice systems prosecuting Daesh members where they have the conviction repercussions to adequately deal with these people.

These people setup torture prisons, caged and burned people alive, live beheading in front of toddlers, threw people of cliffs, strapped bombs to kids chest connected to phones and sent them towards the Kurds.

She is a waste of skin.
You forgot: genocide, teaching children to play football with severed heads, mothers played a vital role passing on the Daesh ideology to their children, stoning of children, burning people alive in cages, mass rape against tens of thousands of children, gang rape, slavery/sexual slavery revived as an institution, use of chemical weapons, using children as human shields strapped to cars, buses, trucks, extortion, kidnapping, forced marriage, forced organ harvesting for profit and trafficking, crucifixions, mutilation, dismemberment, destruction of cultural and religious heritage......

Compared with that little lot, the Home Secretaries decision to exclude Begum is akin to afternoon tea with a Vicar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (144)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (435)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (411)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (137)
4.63%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (179)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.62%
Financial worries (109)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (159)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.46%

Watched Threads