MRCS exam for runthrough neurosurgery ST1

Watch
wyann LT
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
If I take the MRCS exam in fy1/2 am I only eligibly to apply for ST3 neurosurgery or am I allowed to apply to ST1 after taking the MRCS exam?
Do I have to take the mrcs exam if I have already finished st1 and st2 of neurosurgery in order to get into st3 neurosurgical training?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by wyann LT)
If I take the MRCS exam in fy1/2 am I only eligibly to apply for ST3 neurosurgery or am I allowed to apply to ST1 after taking the MRCS exam?
Do I have to take the mrcs exam if I have already finished st1 and st2 of neurosurgery in order to get into st3 neurosurgical training?
You're not even in medical school, why are you worried about exams that you won't be taking for 5 years?

The MRCS is two parts, first of all. And passing Part A may give you an advantage for ST1 Neurosurgery.

And passing both parts is essential for progression to ST3 any surgical specialty.
Letournel
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by wyann LT)
No, you don't skip training by passing exams early.

Foundation would in no way prepare you to be a neurosurgical registrar (or any reg for that matter).

ST3 neurosurgery is only really there for people who have not joined the run through pathway at ST1 but have sufficient experience to start at ST3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads