The Student Room Group

GLS / GLP Legal Trainee Scheme 2021

Current Civil Servant (with an ageing LLB) hoping to join the GLD and qualify under the new SQE.

Anyone else applying this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I will be - and it's launching early this year (1st June).

Just hoping that the GLP has enlisted a new recruitment partner because every year Peoplescout muck up the process and make it a total nightmare.

There has to come a point when cheap and nasty doesn't wash, but the depths of recent years don't seem to have reflected that point!
Reply 2
I’ll also be applying this year - applied last year and didn’t pass the final test (critical reasoning) unfortunately. So fingers crossed for this year.

Anyone else going for the pupillage route?

I agree they need to re-think their processes - too many delays and mistakes in previous years! Good luck to everyone and let’s keep each other updated on here :smile:
Do they have TC’s starting in 2021
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ISpeakWisdom

I know last year they recruited for a 2020 start date, as well as 2021 and 2022. So perhaps this year will be the same but I haven’t seen any confirmation anywhere. I think all will become clearer once the application window opens on June 1st, a lot of info is on the application form
Reply 5
Have just accessed the online application form.

AVG Android flashes up a message 'Malware detected! https://glp.gov-recruit.co.uk/jobs/GLD-1402398 has been reported as a malware site'

The role was originally posted as 'London', but this has now been changed to 'London and Leeds'.

And so it all begins, this time within the first 20 minutes of the campaign being open :biggrin:

Am personally dreading the inevitable clangers when the first batch of scores/decisions needs to be made, but hey ho.
Reply 6
Original post by the_scenic_route
Current Civil Servant (with an ageing LLB) hoping to join the GLD and qualify under the new SQE.

Anyone else applying this year?

I’ve just read on their website that the training contracts being offered are the regular TC structure. They say ‘we are not currently offering the SQE route’. Just a heads up for you in case you were set on SQE!
Reply 7

They say that all positions being offered are for a September 2023 start
Reply 8
Also, looking at the timetable, there is something else worth flagging:

They are making use of the weekends for the online tests, and you can understand the logic in that. The problem is that the recruitment team will not be available to deal with queries at the weekend.

Therefore, if you have a problem - and every year there are hundreds of technical glitches with the online tests - you'll lose the weekend time and have from Monday AM to the Tuesday Midday to submit. Well actually. you'll have to first get hold of them, get them to fix it and then do the test.

Good luck to all of us with that. In recent years, applicants have still been sorting out the VRT mess well into the Assessment Centre Week, and you usually have to get independent verification from SHL unless GLP step in.

So, my advice would be - if you send in an e-mail over any weekend and have not gt a resolution by Midday on the Monday - escalate it.

There is a contact email under the 'Complaints' section (for a Caroline Anerville), and while it won't be a complaint as such, it will be a way to ensure that the GLP are aware of any problems. It has been a feature of the recruitment team's performance that they simply deny that technical issues happen. Yes, it's that grim.

Please don't rely on the govtrainees e-mail - they are worse than the very worst, and nobody will be going out of their way with any sympathy if you encounter problems,
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying for the GLD. I've read the previous threads from the intakes from the past two years and from what I can see the process is quite messy and is tough to get through all of the different steps (the tests). I just got an e-mail inviting me to the SJT with a deadline of June the 18th, am I right to assume I can take some time with this to practise before I go ahead and take the test?
Reply 10
Original post by makotoast
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying for the GLD. I've read the previous threads from the intakes from the past two years and from what I can see the process is quite messy and is tough to get through all of the different steps (the tests). I just got an e-mail inviting me to the SJT with a deadline of June the 18th, am I right to assume I can take some time with this to practise before I go ahead and take the test?

Yes, you can, and you can work through the test at your own pace (when you log out and log back, in and it will take you to the point you had previously reached).

However - unless they've updated the system functionality - you cannot scroll backwards and revise a question once you've completed it. Once you sumbit an answer, that is it for that question.

The SJT is supposed to be randomised, but I don't think it is. It's a relatively new format designed to prevent the issues of 2019 when about 1,000 people progressed having used an answer key. The trade-off is that the new platform is bargain-basement and pretty insecure in itself, or at least was last year. Candidates could create practice accounts and see the questions just by copying the address string and using a burner e-mail. Likewise, they had previews of the interview questions and written exercise.

The fairness of the whole process has for two years been subverted.

Hopefully, these loopholes have been closed now, but possibly not because GLP qualified lawyer candidates have been rinsing it for years in the same way, cutting and pasting pre-prepared answers into the system with impunity.

Anyway, good luck! I am hoping for a bit myself!
Reply 11
Original post by makotoast
Hi everyone,

Yeah, you can wait and practice.

I'm not sure how the dates will line up, but the deadline for the other 2 tests may also be the 18th, so I wouldn't leave it until that late.
Reply 12
Hey everyone! So looking forward to applying it’ll be my first year attempting! Tbh not expecting great things because of how competitive it is and this year there are even less places for TC’s :frown:
I’m having an issue with inputting the dates for my employment history
Reply 14
I’m having an issue with inputting the dates for my employment history

It's annoying you're not able to say that you are currently employed there. For work that I am still employed in, I put the the date of submitting the application form and stated that in my 100 word description.
I think I've read a similar question in previous threads but not sure if there was an answer: does anyone know if the LPC fee has to be repaid if we leave the GLP within certain no. of years (e.g. 2 years) after qualifying?
Reply 16
On the basis of my own contract (I applied last year) I signed an undertaking where they are entitled to a full or partial refund if I don’t complete the LPC or I don’t complete my contract for the GLD. So looks like we just have to do the 2 year training contract. But if you are concerned I’d recommend directly asking them this to be sure :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Eo39
On the basis of my own contract (I applied last year) I signed an undertaking where they are entitled to a full or partial refund if I don’t complete the LPC or I don’t complete my contract for the GLD. So looks like we just have to do the 2 year training contract. But if you are concerned I’d recommend directly asking them this to be sure :smile:

Hey, does this mean you were successful for getting onto the Scheme last year?
Original post by Eo39

Thank you Eo39! That's very helpful!

Fingers crossed the process would be less painful this year, remember that long wait after the AC.. :banghead: When will you start your training contract? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by EH0lds
Hey, does this mean you were successful for getting onto the Scheme last year?

Yes I was successful, I start the tc in 2022

Quick Reply