What is the equivalent of Level 3 qualification??

Watch
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm doing a level 3 maths qualification, and I want to know what it's equivalent to: An AS-level or an A-level.

Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
I'm doing a level 3 maths qualification, and I want to know what it's equivalent to: An AS-level or an A-level.

Thanks!
That depends on the qualification
ReviseSleeping
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From gov.uk: AS levels and A levels are both level 3, but you study AS levels over 1 year and A levels over 2 years. So you learn more about the subject at A level.
Tracey_W
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks!

Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-26-17-09-46.png
Views: 21
Size:  272.4 KB
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Level 3 indicates the level of difficulty but does not cover how big a qualification is.

Level 3 qualifications include AS levels, A levels and BTEC Nationals.

A level 3 certificate in Maths Studies is judged to be the same size as an AS level and will get you the same UCAS points for the same grade. (However, this is where it falls down as it is significantly easier than an AS level and would not count as equivalent for courses that required an AS in Maths.)
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That depends on the qualification
I'm doing an FSMQ

(Original post by ReviseSleeping)
From gov.uk: AS levels and A levels are both level 3, but you study AS levels over 1 year and A levels over 2 years. So you learn more about the subject at A level.
Yeah, I'm doing over 1 year, so it's probably closer to an AS
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-26-17-09-46.png
Views: 21
Size:  272.4 KB
thanks!

(Original post by Compost)
Level 3 indicates the level of difficulty but does not cover how big a qualification is.

Level 3 qualifications include AS levels, A levels and BTEC Nationals.

A level 3 certificate in Maths Studies is judged to be the same size as an AS level and will get you the same UCAS points for the same grade. (However, this is where it falls down as it is significantly easier than an AS level and would not count as equivalent for courses that required an AS in Maths.)
Thanks for that info, didn't know that!
I think my qualification would fall just underneath an AS, as it supposed to help with transition from GCSE to A-level
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
FSMQ is considered smaller than an AS level (but I'd say just as challenging)
UsernameF40
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks!
If its equivalent to A level Maths, then it means you could handle the maths content of the A level? Could someone explain this to me. Sorry if this sounds obvious
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UsernameF40)
If its equivalent to A level Maths, then it means you could handle the maths content of the A level? Could someone explain this to me. Sorry if this sounds obvious
Have you read the other posts to see if they help? What you want to know isn't very clear.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by UsernameF40)
It's not equal to A2 Maths, it's closer to AS, so perhaps I could cope with AS maths, but not A2.
Hope that helps.
UsernameF40
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not equal to A2 Maths, it's closer to AS, so perhaps I could cope with AS maths, but not A2.
Hope that helps.
Yes sorry I read up on this subject. I fully understand now. I appreciate you replying back. Thanks.
Asdf654
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hope that helps.
i have 10ucas points coz i go n A in my FSMQ. n i think it does make a difference in my ucas application.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Asdf654)
i have 10ucas points coz i go n A in my FSMQ. n i think it does make a difference in my ucas application.
If you're bright enough to be doing FSMQ then you're highly unlikely to be applying for a course that asks for UCAS points so any points it gives you are irrelevant - they will ask for grades in A levels.(e.g. AAB, A*AA). However, an A in FSMQ in Year 11 is a good indicator of ability and (with very few people taking AS exams anymore) it should be a point in your facour.
Asdf654
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
If you're bright enough to be doing FSMQ then you're highly unlikely to be applying for a course that asks for UCAS points so any points it gives you are irrelevant - they will ask for grades in A levels.(e.g. AAB, A*AA). However, an A in FSMQ in Year 11 is a good indicator of ability and (with very few people taking AS exams anymore) it should be a point in your facour.
i think if u look at threads by cambridge, oxford, warick, ucl, ... medic application, lots of us hv FSMQ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads