Pokemon 25th Anniversary- Diamond/Pearl remakes and Pokemon Legends: Arceus revealed

Watch
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

So yeah, today marks the 25th anniversary of the release of Pokemon Red & Green in Japan, and Nintendo have celebrated by revealing remakes of the fourth gen games Diamond and Pearl, creatively titled Brillian Diamond and Shining Pearl, as well as an entirely new game Pokemon Legends: Arceus.

BDSP are supposedly very straight-cut core series games rather than "Let's Go" style remakes, with the conventional system for catching/raising pokemon and simply bringing the fan favourites into the current generation. However it looks very much like they're trying to capture the 4th gen aesthetic rather than pursuing the more "realistic" tone of Sword and Shield. 4th gen was the absolute high point of the Pokemon series in my opinion having played since gen one, so it will be really great to revisit them, and hopefully have something to get absorbed in after the colossal disappointment of SwSh. At very least I'll probably try and force myself back into that game to start collecting resources for battling and trading in a game I actually enjoy.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus definitely falls outside the traditional mold though, but it looks interesting. Set in the same Sinnoh region as Diamond and Pearl but in the distant past when humans had only just begun to settle there, capturing pokemon seems to be done through a combination of conventional battling and real-time pokeball throwing. In contrast to Let's Go which appeared to be an effort to simplify the formula and make it more accessible, this game at very least appears to have almost a slightly more mature tone, so I'm very interested in seeing how this shapes up.
Last edited by Gofre; 1 month ago
twinlensreflex
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m kinda excited, I was pretty late to Pokemon and I’ve never played Diamond/Pearl. Hopefully they’re all good
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sinnoh supremacy

I haven't bought a Switch but I think these games will change that.

Two reservations:
1. Should've remade Platinum rather than Diamond and Pearl, but I guess they want the sales from having two versions
2. The 3D Pokémon models are looking pretty dated now, or at least compared to the graphics.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by twinlensreflex)
I’m kinda excited, I was pretty late to Pokemon and I’ve never played Diamond/Pearl. Hopefully they’re all good
DP were the high point of the series in my opinion, a lot of that was the changes to mechanics they introduced that dramatically fleshed out the battle system, most notably the physical/special split (in caser you weren't aware, in gens 1-3 moves were deemed phys or spc based solely on the type of the attack, e.g all Psychic attacks were special and all Fighting attacks were physical) and the debut of landmark features like online battling/trading, but it was also a great location and a cool story with lots of cool new Pokemon, and remain fan favourites to this day.
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Sinnoh supremacy

I haven't bought a Switch but I think these games will change that.

Two reservations:
1. Should've remade Platinum rather than Diamond and Pearl, but I guess they want the sales from having two versions
2. The 3D Pokémon models are looking pretty dated now, or at least compared to the graphics.
Great name :ahee:

They'll most likely include all the additions made to Platinum like the Distortion World while following DP's narrative.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Legends game looks like it has a ton of potential. Hard to really judge it yet because its clearly pretty early in development, but it looks like the type of game I dreamed of as a child.

Honestly, couldn't care less about the remakes though.

I get it, if you haven't played them before, or if you only own a switch they will be cool. But if you still have the original games, I don't see any point in an idetical game which in my opinion looks worse than the originals. I like pixel graphics and the look of the originals, and yes the new one is 3d and smooth, but it looks awful in my eyes. I liked what they did to the recent zelda remakes, but this just looks awful in comparison.

If its a pure copy of the old game without anything added, I'll probably just give it a pass.

---

To be honest though, Pokemon snap looks awesome and that's what I was left excited for. I loved the old one. Me and my friends played it to death on one of their N64s as kids. It didn't even have that much content but for pokemon obsesed kids it was the closest you yould come to being in the world itself back in 1999.

That for me is nostalgia done right.. it hits all the notes that I remember from my childhood, but it looks so much better, has more feeatures, updated for the time etc.

Pre-ordering that for sure.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only thing that this new Pokemon Snap can't do, that the old one did, is the rumours that used to go around about it.

Once people realised that there were secret things you could get the pokemon to do, or unlock, back when I was a little kid year old, the playground was just full of people telling you 'hey, if you throw X at this pokemon, and then wait exactly 40 seconds before doing Y, you will see this happen..." Most of it was complete ********, but it just added to the mystery of the game, and when something did come true, like Pikachu riding articuno, it was amazing.
4D Chess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My disappointment was immeasurable until they showed the Legends: Arceus trailer.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  53.6 KB
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 4D Chess)
My disappointment was immeasurable until they showed the Legends: Arceus trailer.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  53.6 KB
I know its frustraiting, but I find it impossible to be disappointed at this point. This is gamefreak and the pokemon company after all. The incredibly rich owners of the worlds most valuable franchise - who routinely fail to take actions that seem obvious to the fan base, or invest properly in their games.

But then who can blame them, clearly what they do works. They keep making more and more money after all. These diamond and pearl games will still sell really well, and likely had a pretty small development cost because of how dirrect and clearly minimal remakes they are.

I was watching a few pokemon related youtubers before the announcement and they were all expecting some kind of ******** to happen, just because of the recent history of the company.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 month ago
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, this is great news to wake up to! Pokemon Diamond was the last real pokemon game that I properly got into, I was getting older by that point and kind of let things slide afterwards but I really grinded the hell out of that game and used to do a lot of shiny hunting and Masuda method.

I got into pokemon again a few years later with X and omega ruby but diamond was a really good game for sure and will definitely be picking up the game and console. I want to get back into pokemon too and think this is the perfect point for me to start again.

I couldn’t get into pokemon black at the time unfortunately but everhting about this game was brilliant and it struck the right balance between featuring the older pokemon and introducing new ones. The designs also were good in this one.

I still have the large poster of the original games on my wardrobe door from back in 06/07 🤓
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads