The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Phd offer without interview?

Hi guys, I just received an email from Postgraduate Admissions today informing that my application was approved by the department and has come to them. The email contains only a link of general information about the conditional offer: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2021.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/offer_conditions_booklet_2021_v3_final_accessible.pdf . But I have completely no idea of how I got accepted because I wasn't even interviewed, and I haven't got emailed from the department either.
Also, my status of application on the Applicant Portal is still "under the review of department". I feel it really weird. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I hope it's not a mistaken email....
Reply 1
Original post by andre_huang
Hi guys, I just received an email from Postgraduate Admissions today informing that my application was approved by the department and has come to them. The email contains only a link of general information about the conditional offer: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2021.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/offer_conditions_booklet_2021_v3_final_accessible.pdf . But I have completely no idea of how I got accepted because I wasn't even interviewed, and I haven't got emailed from the department either.
Also, my status of application on the Applicant Portal is still "under the review of department". I feel it really weird. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I hope it's not a mistaken email....

Hey Andre. Prospective MPhil student at Cambridge here. I got exactly the same email last night, and my portal hasn't been updated either. Now that you mention it, I hope mine wasn't a mistake either. :frown:

It seems a bit unusual to make an offer to Ph.D. candidates without an interview; are applicants normally offered a place in your department without an interview? It is the case for mine. Regardless, I do not think we need to worry too much about it. My best bet is the GAO is currently swamped and because they're working manually, it's taking them a bit longer to catch up with updating portals, etc.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by beehee
Hey Andre. Prospective MPhil student at Cambridge here. I got exactly the same email last night, and my portal hasn't been updated either. Now that you mention it, I hope mine wasn't a mistake either. :frown:

It seems a bit unusual to make an offer to Ph.D. candidates without an interview; are applicants normally offered a place in your department without an interview? It is the case for mine. Regardless, I do not think we need to worry too much about it. My best bet is the GAO is currently swamped and because they're working manually, it's taking them a bit longer to catch up with updating portals, etc.

Hi beehee, thanks for your information! I read the booklet they sent to us and I think you are right. Hopefully they will reach us soon. I think every PhD should get interviewed, that's why I felt confused. But I do get interviewed for another program at Cambridge by an adjunct faculty also in my offered program. I don't how the admission process works, but now I guess that interview counts for two programs...
Original post by beehee

Hi beehee, thanks for your information! I read the booklet they sent to us and I think you are right. Hopefully they will reach us soon. I think every PhD should get interviewed, that's why I felt confused. But I do get interviewed for another program at Cambridge by an adjunct faculty also in my offered program. I don't how the admission process works, but now I guess that interview counts for two programs...

I suspect you didn't get an offer, you got the same badly worded email as everyone else got which was basically Cambridge saying 'Stop contacting us'. Check in the Cambridge Postgrad forum and join the chat on there.

It's possible to get accepted without interview.

Although I only know of this happening where a candidate has met and discussed the project deeply with supervisor several times (and effectively covered this ground already) or worked with them on a research internship or masters project before.

I would wait till the applicant portal changes.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
I suspect you didn't get an offer, you got the same badly worded email as everyone else got which was basically Cambridge saying 'Stop contacting us'. Check in the Cambridge Postgrad forum and join the chat on there.

Oh, that's so sad...
I have seen in the Oxford postgraduate thread that some departments do interviews, others don’t.

I would wait and look at the website, then check if not sure.

It’s just that, being used to undergraduate applicants we expect to do interviews as a matter of course.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I have seen in the Oxford postgraduate thread that some departments do interviews, others don’t.

I would wait and look at the website, then check if not sure.

It’s just that, being used to undergraduate applicants we expect to do interviews as a matter of course.

I think taught masters are fairly common to skip interviews with a reputable undergrad.

With a research degree I think some form of dialogue is essential. Not just for the supervisor, but applicants need to be clear on the expectations and environment of the group.
Original post by mnot
I think taught masters are fairly common to skip interviews with a reputable undergrad.

With a research degree I think some form of dialogue is essential. Not just for the supervisor, but applicants need to be clear on the expectations and environment of the group.

True. It's a mystery how someone can get into Cambridge phd without an interview, but why send the email? Defo worth OP checking it out.
Original post by Oxford Mum
True. It's a mystery how someone can get into Cambridge phd without an interview, but why send the email? Defo worth OP checking it out.

Hard to say, if I had to guess a lot of applications first get sent to an administrator who checks the applicant meets the university minimum standards then forwards the application to the supervisor or research group for them to decide. Im thinking it’s likely gone through the initial academic standards and has landed on the next desk.

I remember with my formal PhD application I kept on getting administration emails. I didn’t really know what was going on until I received a formal offer letter.

If in doubt email admissions.
Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift

Thanks for the information, threeportdrift! It's truly a bummer. I am quite embarrassed because I wrongly informed people around me that my application had gotten approved. Their offer conditions file really threw me off!
I got accepted onto my PhD without an interview. I was worried at first accepting but I've been very surprised at how great the uni is (Huddersfields). I got told in my first supervision meeting that my proposal was very strong (I applied for an advistised PhD) and they are looking forward to working with me. I'm also the only one of my peers that's I'm aware off that didn't interview so I think it's something that happens but not often.
Reply 12
Original post by Lmackphd
I got accepted onto my PhD without an interview. I was worried at first accepting but I've been very surprised at how great the uni is (Huddersfields). I got told in my first supervision meeting that my proposal was very strong (I applied for an advistised PhD) and they are looking forward to working with me. I'm also the only one of my peers that's I'm aware off that didn't interview so I think it's something that happens but not often.

what do you mean your proposal was very strong if it was an advertised phd? i was under the impression that if it was an advertised phd, they already have an idea of the project in mind and wouldn't need the applicant to submit a research proposal?
Reply 13
Original post by jackien1
what do you mean your proposal was very strong if it was an advertised phd? i was under the impression that if it was an advertised phd, they already have an idea of the project in mind and wouldn't need the applicant to submit a research proposal?

They had a research outline/ question. I still had to submit a 2000 word proposal

Latest