spaced repetition- at what intervals should you review material?

Watch
meticulouswizard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was thinking a day, a week and then a month, but is this the most effective way to do this?

I also want to ask is after you have got to one month checkpoint of testing yourself do you still need to keep testing yourself or is it 100% engrained in your memory or if not how long after that do you need to test yourself?

Thanks for your time

Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
the most effective way to do this?

Allowing that H.Saps are currently produced as independent individuals perhaps you should discover the interval timing that works for you. So might be 1, 3, 7, 30 or 1, 2, 4, 8, 30. Test yourself and work out what's right for you.

Remember memory retention is also dependent on impact as well as frequency. The more impactful an associated event the more strongly the engram is impacted. In the Mikado the Lord High Executioner "has a little list". Unfortunately and perhaps regrettably this is probably not a good idea these days.

CELLS AT WORK

Is this a good way to stimulate memory retention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0Ye-lIywQ

Do some research on memory and memory techniques - could turn up some useful and valuable results.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
anki does it for you
cloisters
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Study6076)
I was thinking a day, a week and then a month, but is this the most effective way to do this?

I also want to ask is after you have got to one month checkpoint of testing yourself do you still need to keep testing yourself or is it 100% engrained in your memory or if not how long after that do you need to test yourself?

Thanks for your time
Any intervals work as long as they keep getting larger. But not eg 1 day, 100 days. That won't work for obvious reasons. It has to be gradual. Personally I do powers of 3: 1 day, 3 days, 9 days, etc.

And no, in my experience you have to keep repeating it periodically otherwise you will forget, even if you reached 5 months. I think long term memory is a myth to be honest. Even the things I have in my long term memory I've noticed are only there because I keep subconsciously repeating them from time to time, eg music lyrics etc. If I've never repeated something for a long time I will just forget it. Maybe other people are different but to be on the safe side I just keep repeating periodically after a certain point. So say I reached 1 month. I will then just keep cycling that thing on a monthly basis. I don't see the point of increasing the intervals after a certain point to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (27)
26.73%
No (74)
73.27%

Watched Threads