gabriela4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all, im in year 12 and im taking a level spanish (also maths and physics if anyone's interested) i really just want to hear other people's opinions/experiences (literally anything to do with the language) about the course, why they chose it and your career choice or what you want to study (or are studying) at uni!
there are only 5 of us in my class (2 of them being natives) and there are only 2 people in the year 13 class, and MANY people that i've spoken to really don't like the subject and/or disregard it in general and think it's a waste of time (i, clearly, don't listen to them haha). however i've been doing the a level since september and have absolutely loved it so far! i find it so fascinating and a great break away from maths and physics
i would love to hear all of your opinions!!
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I do a French A-Level but I learn Spanish in my spare time and it's actually much better than my French haha (unfortunately my school didn't offer both A-Levels). Next year I'm going to be studying French, Spanish and Portuguese at university, though!

It's a shame most people think it's a "waste of time" when facts and data show the complete opposite. Languages aren't everyone's cup of tea though haha. I've been learning languages for almost 5 years and it's the thing I feel most passionate about. I want to study them at university and during those 4 years hopefully I'll get a better idea of what I want to after uni career-wise. I'm currently considering interpreting, diplomacy, working in intelligence (my language combination weakens the possibilities of that but it's still a potential option nevertheless) and to be honest just anything language-related with the exception of teaching.

Pero me alegro de que te encante el español! Es un idioma increíblement fascinante y rico y será extremadamente importante para ti en el futuro! Buena suerte con tus estudios
gabriela4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by SirNoodles)
I do a French A-Level but I learn Spanish in my spare time and it's actually much better than my French haha (unfortunately my school didn't offer both A-Levels). Next year I'm going to be studying French, Spanish and Portuguese at university, though!

It's a shame most people think it's a "waste of time" when facts and data show the complete opposite. Languages aren't everyone's cup of tea though haha. I've been learning languages for almost 5 years and it's the thing I feel most passionate about. I want to study them at university and during those 4 years hopefully I'll get a better idea of what I want to after uni career-wise. I'm currently considering interpreting, diplomacy, working in intelligence (my language combination weakens the possibilities of that but it's still a potential option nevertheless) and to be honest just anything language-related with the exception of teaching.

Pero me alegro de que te encante el español! Es un idioma increíblement fascinante y rico y será extremadamente importante para ti en el futuro! Buena suerte con tus estudios
wow thats amazing!
i know right, it really is, there are so many fantastic opportunities that come from it.
thats so cool, i love hearing about peoples language related careers!!
gracias y buena suerte con tus estudios también
phys_X_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A mí no me gustan tanto las clases ya que no nos llevamos bien la profe y yo pero me gusta muchísimo la materia en general y tengo altas ganas de irme para la universidad ya jajaja
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Any advice for learning the language? Especially at A Level? I'm in year 13 and I'm struggling with the papers especially paper 2 writing.
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Any advice for learning the language? Especially at A Level? I'm in year 13 and I'm struggling with the papers especially paper 2 writing.
So for learning and maintaining the language it's important to use, learn and practise the language outside of your lessons - this can be done by watching videos, reading, speaking to natives etc. and then noting down unfamiliar vocab. This is my basic philosophy as I tend to spend 2+ hours a day using Spanish. But I'm quite obsessed with language learning so this isn't doable for most people haha

I'd recommend some apps such as Duolingo and Memrise for learning new vocab but it's important to use other resources as these resources alone aren't enough. Watching YouTube videos and noting down unfamiliar vocab is a personal favourite of mine along with practising with native speakers because you can enjoy yourself, be social and learn new vocab whilst familiarising yourself with proper Spanish rather than the partially unnatural textbook Spanish haha. A good YouTube channel for practising is Easy Spanish as they interview people in Spanish and give subtitles in both Spanish and English. The topics generally aren't that complicated and the conversations are purely authentic.

As for the actual A Level course and papers I suppose it's the same strategy as with any other subjects - using loads of practice papers and asking teachers for help or advice. Maybe identify your weaknesses and why you find the papers hard so that you can then work on those specific things.

I'm not doing A Level Spanish but A Level French but, as I previous mentioned in this thread, I speak both languages fairly well and would say my Spanish is better than my French and get As & A*s in that so if there's anything specific you need help with I'm sure that I could help so PM me if you needed

Hope this helped

(I just realised the last paragraph looked pretentious and like I was bragging but my point was that if ever you need any specific help I can always help 😅)
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So for learning and maintaining the language it's important to use, learn and practise the language outside of your lessons - this can be done by watching videos, reading, speaking to natives etc. and then noting down unfamiliar vocab. This is my basic philosophy as I tend to spend 2+ hours a day using Spanish. But I'm quite obsessed with language learning so this isn't doable for most people haha

I'd recommend some apps such as Duolingo and Memrise for learning new vocab but it's important to use other resources as these resources alone aren't enough. Watching YouTube videos and noting down unfamiliar vocab is a personal favourite of mine along with practising with native speakers because you can enjoy yourself, be social and learn new vocab whilst familiarising yourself with proper Spanish rather than the partially unnatural textbook Spanish haha. A good YouTube channel for practising is Easy Spanish as they interview people in Spanish and give subtitles in both Spanish and English. The topics generally aren't that complicated and the conversations are purely authentic.

As for the actual A Level course and papers I suppose it's the same strategy as with any other subjects - using loads of practice papers and asking teachers for help or advice. Maybe identify your weaknesses and why you find the papers hard so that you can then work on those specific things.

I'm not doing A Level Spanish but A Level French but, as I previous mentioned in this thread, I speak both languages fairly well and would say my Spanish is better than my French and get As & A*s in that so if there's anything specific you need help with I'm sure that I could help so PM me if you needed

Hope this helped

(I just realised the last paragraph looked pretentious and like I was bragging but my point was that if ever you need any specific help I can always help 😅)
Thank you for your advice! Thing is, I haven't been on top of my language revision that I'm slowly forgetting vocab and grammar. My mocks are in 2 weeks and idk if that's enough time to catch up with everything 😖

How should I practice with native speakers? I tried to speak with natives on discord but it was a mess (>_< ). I mainly don't know how to revise for Paper 2? Any advice for getting an A? I'm sorry for my questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.99%
I need help researching courses (7)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.19%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
24.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.9%

Watched Threads