The Student Room Group

finding friends in a new location

I'm considering doing an internship or a year abroad during uni but I'm really worried about not settling in/ finding friends, especially with internships, as you're not really a student and come in contact with less people. How did people find their experiences?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm considering doing an internship or a year abroad during uni but I'm really worried about not settling in/ finding friends, especially with internships, as you're not really a student and come in contact with less people. How did people find their experiences?

Hey there! I studied abroad during my second year of uni (doing Erasmus). I went to Finland and I went by myself, I only knew one girl from my same uni but she then returned back home. I was all alone since the very beginning and I was scared not to make friends, not to overcome the language barrier or other cultural differences. I was staying in a student accomodation and I can tell you that I made friends in no time there! Especially that all students were in the same situation as mine: by themselves in a new country. Sharing this new life experience with strangers makes it easier to get close to each other and create amazing friendships. I understand your fear and it's completely normal, but don't worry because you will not regret such experience! Wether you will live in a student accomodation or by yourself, it will be easy to meet new people and make friends, to overcome every barrier and enjoy yourself! You won't regret it.
Ps. usually locals tend to be VERY welcome to foreign students, offering a lot of support and especially other students or people the same age as you will make your experience unforgetable!
Reply 2
Hey there! I studied abroad during my second year of uni (doing Erasmus). I went to Finland and I went by myself, I only knew one girl from my same uni but she then returned back home. I was all alone since the very beginning and I was scared not to make friends, not to overcome the language barrier or other cultural differences. I was staying in a student accomodation and I can tell you that I made friends in no time there! Especially that all students were in the same situation as mine: by themselves in a new country. Sharing this new life experience with strangers makes it easier to get close to each other and create amazing friendships. I understand your fear and it's completely normal, but don't worry because you will not regret such experience! Wether you will live in a student accomodation or by yourself, it will be easy to meet new people and make friends, to overcome every barrier and enjoy yourself! You won't regret it.
Ps. usually locals tend to be VERY welcome to foreign students, offering a lot of support and especially other students or people the same age as you will make your experience unforgetable!

Tysm. I think I'm ok with the idea of going to study abroad but say with a placement year you're not surrounded by people in the same situation so I imagine that would be more difficult.
Tysm. I think I'm ok with the idea of going to study abroad but say with a placement year you're not surrounded by people in the same situation so I imagine that would be more difficult.

You will for sure make friends even during your placement year! I met people that were doing a placement year and the met new people very fast and made friends in no time. Also I suggest you go to a student accomodation, that’s the easiest place where you meet new people close to you
Reply 4
You will for sure make friends even during your placement year! I met people that were doing a placement year and the met new people very fast and made friends in no time. Also I suggest you go to a student accomodation, that’s the easiest place where you meet new people close to you

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest