Oxford MSt Creative Writing Interview for 2021 Entry

Watch
Traymore
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

Has anyone who applied to MSt in Creative Writing before the January Deadline received an interview invitation? How did it go?
mmmmc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, was interviewed last week and received an offer yesterday. The questions are straight forward. Don’t overthink it. Be ready to talk about what you’ve been reading and where you hope your writing will go.
Traymore
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mmmmc)
Yes, was interviewed last week and received an offer yesterday. The questions are straight forward. Don’t overthink it. Be ready to talk about what you’ve been reading and where you hope your writing will go.
Wow congratulations! That's amazing!
May I ask when you applied exactly? I still haven't heard anything yet so I'm a little concerned, and wonder if it has to do with the order the applications were received. And perhaps a bit more info about your writing background?
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! I applied on the 21st Jan or thereabouts, and was informed about that interview on 4th Feb, though the interview itself had to be delayed by a week. I think they work through them in batches? You’ll definitely hear back if your application was accepted.

I’m a journalist by trade. My fiction is by no means perfected and I’ve only been published once, at that online.
2021applicant
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I applied in early January but I've also not heard anything back yet, getting a little disheartened, to be honest! I hope we'll hear back soon.

Also, congrats on your offer!
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t be disheartened! I think the process is stretched over a long period. I was frankly very surprised to receive an interview invitation, let alone an offer, so soon.
cy_clops_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an offer yesterday as well. Although I have a ton of questions about how the program is, student satisfaction, etc. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to talk to alumni once I have the formal acceptance.
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cy_clops_)
I got an offer yesterday as well. Although I have a ton of questions about how the program is, student satisfaction, etc. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to talk to alumni once I have the formal acceptance.
Congrats! Yes I have lots of questions too. I feel like you need to move up to Oxford and make use of all the uni’s benefits. Otherwise you’re only up there and in contacts with peers/tutors for four weeks of the year.
cy_clops_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mmmmc)
Congrats! Yes I have lots of questions too. I feel like you need to move up to Oxford and make use of all the uni’s benefits. Otherwise you’re only up there and in contacts with peers/tutors for four weeks of the year.
Thank you! Yeah I'm American so flying in for the residencies is my only option, I don't think it's possible to obtain a visa for part time study. That's the primary thing I'm feeling iffy about. On the other hand, I would be able to keep my job and work while I study, which would be cool. Trade offs.
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right! Yes, that's a tricky position. And did you specify a college, by the way?
cy_clops_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mmmmc)
Right! Yes, that's a tricky position. And did you specify a college, by the way?
I had no clue about how Oxford worked when I applied, so I marked 'no preference.' From what I understand, it won't make a huge difference if I'm not studying there full time.

But if I end up going there (as I probably will), maybe I'll see you at the residencies!
2021applicant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Received my rejection email this morning at 2 am UK time, not a nice one to wake up to! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2021applicant)
Received my rejection email this morning at 2 am UK time, not a nice one to wake up to! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear
Ooph sorry to hear that! Where were you applying from?
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cy_clops_)
I had no clue about how Oxford worked when I applied, so I marked 'no preference.' From what I understand, it won't make a huge difference if I'm not studying there full time.

But if I end up going there (as I probably will), maybe I'll see you at the residencies!
Yes hope so! Not sure how we’ll find each other. Maybe just ask around for the Armenian guy haha. I don’t think there’ll be more than one.
2021applicant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mmmmc)
Ooph sorry to hear that! Where were you applying from?
Thank you! From the UK, graduated a couple of years ago from another RG uni in literature. Guess I'll try again next year! Do you have any advice about the interview/how you prepared for it? It's so hard to find any resources or advice about this course online.
mmmmc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2021applicant)
Thank you! From the UK, graduated a couple of years ago from another RG uni in literature. Guess I'll try again next year! Do you have any advice about the interview/how you prepared for it? It's so hard to find any resources or advice about this course online.
Read contemporary literature, poetry, drama as widely as you can is the best advice I think!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (174)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (516)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (393)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (489)
13.87%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (171)
4.85%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (214)
6.07%
Loneliness (300)
8.51%
Financial worries (129)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (140)
3.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (159)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (196)
5.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (317)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (328)
9.3%

Watched Threads