The Student Room Group

Will grades from the 2020/2021 exam cohort be judged poorly in the future?

Deletd
(edited 2 years ago)
Legally CAGS awarded grades from 2020 and TAGs from 2021 will count the same as those taken under normal exam conditions.

The universities will have to treat them equally as they can’t dismiss entire year groups. For this year there are some universities that place more relevance on achieved grades over predicted grades (and always have done). They make no mention of achieved under exam conditions being a further point in the sand as they aren’t allowed to.

In the future employers probably won’t go beyond the grades that are there - what else can they do? I’m sure there will be sniping in the media and, quite probably, on forums like this.

For years the media blurts on about grade inflation making the exams less comparable with the old exams. Last year and presumably this too will just lead to a frenzy of headline hype but will die down afterwards.

When the pandemic is eventually contained we will get back to news stories of kids jumping in the air (without masks or a distance set apart) and Jeremy Clarkson tweeting about his crappy A Level grades and his fleet of Ferraris etc.

So if tell your friend to quit worrying about something beyond her control and trust that a whole two year groups won’t be mistreated as a result of COVID-19. Someone has to get the university places and those future jobs.
Reply 2
You'd be surprised how little employers care about your school grades even before covid.
Original post by Anonymousnope
Because universities are over subscribed at the moment my friend is thinking of taking a gap year and try next year. Will her grades be perceived poorly? Also in the future will her A levels be judged harshly by employers? Someone told me that when there is 2 candidates one with “real” A levels and one with the TAGs, they will always go with the one with “real” grades.

Do you think employers know when Curriculum 2000 modular A levels were made universal? Or when they were phased out? Or which preC2000 A level results were modular?
Or the difference between IAL and A levels? Or between welsh and NI A levels and English A levels?

Employers don’t pay that much attention to A levels.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest