Ps2 help?

Watch
SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I decided to whip out my old PS2 and play some old classics. So I bought Spider-man 2 but I don't know if there's a problem with the disc or my Ps2. As I'm swinging through the city, the game randomly freezes, (spiderman is just frozen in the air but traffic and peds etc are still moving) while the textures are still loading up and the disc starts to make a funny noise. Then it lets me move again and the funny disc noises stop, then happens again when a part of the map I reach hasn't loaded yet. Its like the game can't load the textures fast enough and keep up. I don't know if there's a problem with my disc or my Ps2 laser reader. I think it could be the disc because every other Ps2 game works perfectly fine on it. Any solutions? Thanks.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If memory serves that's usually due to the disk being scratched.
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
But there doesn't seem to be any scratches on the disc unless there are really tiny ones on the part where the laser reads? Do you reckon I could clean it with toothpaste? I've heard that works
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Loreto2018)
I decided to whip out my old PS2 and play some old classics. So I bought Spider-man 2 but I don't know if there's a problem with the disc or my Ps2. As I'm swinging through the city, the game randomly freezes, (spiderman is just frozen in the air but traffic and peds etc are still moving) while the textures are still loading up and the disc starts to make a funny noise. Then it lets me move again and the funny disc noises stop, then happens again when a part of the map I reach hasn't loaded yet. Its like the game can't load the textures fast enough and keep up. I don't know if there's a problem with my disc or my Ps2 laser reader. I think it could be the disc because every other Ps2 game works perfectly fine on it. Any solutions? Thanks.
Remember to check PS2 is lay down on a flat level surface. I've owned & cared for a few PS2 models and must inform their laser readers often don't last much more than 5 years. But as you stated, if it's only occuring on a single game you recently bought, then it's likely just that. Maybe order another copy. My original model started to leave lines ruining the discs after a number of years.
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by noggins)
Remember to check PS2 is lay down on a flat level surface. I've owned & cared for a few PS2 models and must inform their laser readers often don't last much more than 5 years. But as you stated, if it's only occuring on a single game you recently bought, then it's likely just that. Maybe order another copy. My original model started to leave lines ruining the discs after a number of years.
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yeah thanks guys it was definitely a problem with the disc and not the PS2 . Although there were no visible scratches, I did the old trick of washing it with toothpaste and now it works perfectly!
Tuffyandtab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Loreto2018)
Yeah thanks guys it was definitely a problem with the disc and not the PS2 . Although there were no visible scratches, I did the old trick of washing it with toothpaste and now it works perfectly!
I had this with my Crash Bandicoot wrath of cortex game, some of the graphics were funny and bits of music were missing. I just bought a new disc instead. I did not know of this toothpaste trick! I may give it a try
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tuffyandtab)
I had this with my Crash Bandicoot wrath of cortex game, some of the graphics were funny and bits of music were missing. I just bought a new disc instead. I did not know of this toothpaste trick! I may give it a try
I didn't believe it would work tbh i thought it would completely mess up my disc. So i thought it only costed about £2.00 and its a game that's 17 years old so i thought i'd give it a shot since i got nothing to lose. It sounds ridiculous but it works and i don't even know how lol. The game now runs perfectly! Oh and if you do try it, make sure you scrub the toothpaste in a circular motion cause apparently that's what gets rid of the scratches and make sure the toothpaste you use doesn't contain microbeads. There's plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to do it and I'm pretty sure it works with any damaged/scratched disc, not just PS2 ones!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (113)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (345)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (252)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (324)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (104)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (135)
5.85%
Loneliness (199)
8.62%
Financial worries (87)
3.77%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (96)
4.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (112)
4.85%
Lack of real life entertainment (123)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (202)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (216)
9.36%

Watched Threads