The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

I can't lose weight in a Calorie deficit

I'm a guy in his early 20s, 176cm tall. I am skinny fat, for 2 years I used to eat 1200 calories and I couldn't shift any weight from my abdomen (with gym) stuck also at 73kg.

Winter last year I started pushing myself with weight training and increased diet to 2k but when gyms closed in December (I was at 77.8ish kg) I knew my own body and without gym I couldn't eat 2k cals bcs I would gain 2 kg weight and alot of fat in a single month.

I proceeded on calorie deficit of 1700, usually 30-45% protien and fat at 20ish%, I worked out 3-4x a week. In the two months since then I've lost no weight, my abdomen is still the same size, despite the fact that I've been pushing myself at running, I've torn a ligament in my thigh.

I'm kinda lost what to do. I cannot lose weight whether I eat 1.2k cals or 1.7k cals. Whilst my strength and endurance has become marginally better, my body measurements are the same, and I still have so much fat around my abdomen that it's still classed as skinny fat. It isn't body dismorphia, I literally look 4 months pregnant.

Its lowkey tiring spending money on protien shakes and working out 4 times a week, measuring every bite I take and eat very precisely just for nothing to happen but lose the gains I made at gym during December... and even losing those gains, I've not lost any weight.

All
What can I do?
Reply 1
According to the nhs website bmi calculator you are at the higher end of the "healthy" range, I doubt you will see much reduction in your skinny fatness until you pass the halfway point. If you aren't losing weight you are probably eating more calories than what you think and from here on out I would say you need to be careful of what those calories consist of exactly.
Eating things that are high in saturated fat often may be something you could look at, ie only eat something that has been fried a max of 2 times a week, try doing cardio twice a week something akin to a steady walk include hills try to walk for at least 6-10miles once a week and 4-6 miles once a week and do a bodyweight workout at home once a week. Try to eat above 2k calories a day, and try to keep away from things like pop/soda beer or anything fizzy for most of the week, it's ok to have something fizzy as a treat once every 2 -4 weeks or something.
Original post by MutantX20
I'm a guy in his early 20s, 176cm tall. I am skinny fat, for 2 years I used to eat 1200 calories and I couldn't shift any weight from my abdomen (with gym) stuck also at 73kg.

Winter last year I started pushing myself with weight training and increased diet to 2k but when gyms closed in December (I was at 77.8ish kg) I knew my own body and without gym I couldn't eat 2k cals bcs I would gain 2 kg weight and alot of fat in a single month.

I proceeded on calorie deficit of 1700, usually 30-45% protien and fat at 20ish%, I worked out 3-4x a week. In the two months since then I've lost no weight, my abdomen is still the same size, despite the fact that I've been pushing myself at running, I've torn a ligament in my thigh.

I'm kinda lost what to do. I cannot lose weight whether I eat 1.2k cals or 1.7k cals. Whilst my strength and endurance has become marginally better, my body measurements are the same, and I still have so much fat around my abdomen that it's still classed as skinny fat. It isn't body dismorphia, I literally look 4 months pregnant.

Its lowkey tiring spending money on protien shakes and working out 4 times a week, measuring every bite I take and eat very precisely just for nothing to happen but lose the gains I made at gym during December... and even losing those gains, I've not lost any weight.

All
What can I do?

1200 calories a day over an extended period of time is defined as a starvation diet by disaster response agencies. The Minnesota starvation experiment used 1600 calories over 6 months. The participants lost around 25% of their body weight. The pictures of these participants are available with a quick google search - they look emaciated.

It may be the case that you suffer from a serious metabolic or hormone disorder. This would likely be accompanied by a range of other symptoms and is something you really need to see a GP about.

Far more likely is that you are substantially underestimating the amount of calories you are actually eating. For example, mis-measuring, guesstimating, ignoring snacks, ignoring drinks, not keeping an accurate record, etc. As I find it highly improbable that you ate 1200 calories for two years and did not lose weight.
Reply 3
Eating 1.2k calories a day is not healthy. My advice to you is to fix your diet. You should start to eat consistent and clean. For example, your only carbohydrates source should be rice potatoes and oats. Protein should be chicken salmon beef (up to you but not pork). Fats - avocado nuts. Do not mix the carbs with fats in the same meal, always try to eat carbs & protein or protein & fats.

Instead of calculating your calories, try to calculate your macros and see what % of carbs/protein/fats works for you best. You should also consider doing cardio in the morning before eating breakfast. Give it time because seeing any progress will take time, that's why you should be consistent. Remember, diet and sleep are more important than the training itself.
Original post by yennwho
Eating 1.2k calories a day is not healthy. My advice to you is to fix your diet. You should start to eat consistent and clean. For example, your only carbohydrates source should be rice potatoes and oats. Protein should be chicken salmon beef (up to you but not pork). Fats - avocado nuts. Do not mix the carbs with fats in the same meal, always try to eat carbs & protein or protein & fats.

Instead of calculating your calories, try to calculate your macros and see what % of carbs/protein/fats works for you best. You should also consider doing cardio in the morning before eating breakfast. Give it time because seeing any progress will take time, that's why you should be consistent. Remember, diet and sleep are more important than the training itself.

Having such a restrictive diet can cause adherence problems which is the worst thing for weight loss.
Why can't you mix fats and carbs?
You do realize that calculating kcals usually comes with calculating macros?
Why should someone do cardio before breakfast and not any other time?
OP, there is a very simple answer here. You counted incorrectly.

There is a zero chance that you didn't lose weight if you actually only ate 1200 calories and exercised. 1200 is unhealthily low.

Count calories more accurately.
Original post by yennwho

Idiotic
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Having such a restrictive diet can cause adherence problems which is the worst thing for weight loss.

mixing carbs and fats creates a chemical reaction which results in 500 calories uséd for fat storage
It seems like your metabolism has slowed down a lot since you've been eating at a deficit for so long. Do you feel any colder or more tired than you used to be?
Original post by Proxenus
mixing carbs and fats creates a chemical reaction which results in 500 calories uséd for fat storage

lol bro don't say that around here, ppl will take you seriously. Next thing you know u will have someone asking 'the rice I ate had 0.5g of fat in it by itself will I be ok? and how do I remove fat from rice????? pls quick reply'.
Reply 10
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r

If you mix fats and carbs in the same meal you will slow down digestion.

Yeah, I know that if you calculate macros you will get the same calories, but is not the same if you get 3k calories from 200g carbs, 200g protein and 155g of fat or if you have 400g of carbs,150g of protein and 80g of fat. I know you will not get it at the moment but try increasing your carbs by 75g-100g and see how much difference it will make in your training, while you keep protein at 2g per body weight and fats at like 1g per body weight, do it for a week or 2 and you will see the difference in your training. When you do it, let me know, please

And for the last question, I am gonna be honest, I don't know, I never tried doing cardio in the morning but a lot of people who are competing for bodybuilding shows recommend doing cardio before breakfast on empty stomach, I just wanted to help him, if I am wrong please correct me, sir. Have a nice day!
Original post by yennwho

Yeah, I know that if you calculate macros you will get the same calories, but is not the same if you get 3k calories from 200g carbs, 200g protein and 155g of fat or if you have 400g of carbs,150g of protein and 80g of fat. I know you will not get it at the moment but try increasing your carbs by 75g-100g and see how much difference it will make in your training, while you keep protein at 2g per body weight and fats at like 1g per body weight, do it for a week or 2 and you will see the difference in your training. When you do it, let me know, please

And for the last question, I am gonna be honest, I don't know, I never tried doing cardio in the morning but a lot of people who are competing for bodybuilding shows recommend doing cardio before breakfast on empty stomach, I just wanted to help him, if I am wrong please correct me, sir. Have a nice day!

Speed of digestion has absolutely nothing to do with how much weight you’ll gain or lose
Original post by Proxenus

🤣🤣🤣
Original post by yennwho

And what is wrong with slowing digestion?
Don't worry I do get what you are saying, I understand the different physiological effects different macros have on the body, just wanted to know what you were getting at.
Ah well, it makes no difference to fat loss this video explains it well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbWdoceH-A&t=3s&ab_channel=JeffNippard
Your BMR has probably dropped so low that it’s used to eating at 1200 therefore you’d have to eat less than that to lose weight. That’s dangerous you must eat more to ramp it back up
Original post by MutantX20

All
What can I do?

Hi im not sure how late i am, but i am of similar height and weight. I had the same issue with abdomen fat and going gym 3-4 times and eating in a calorie deficit. So let me explain the skinny fat comes from visceral fat which is deep fat surrounding organs (dangerous too) these are so deep that they become stubborn. The only way you can get rid of it is by eating high protein meals (i ate 100g/day) with calorie maintenance (eating the same as you burn) and working out regularly, particularly cardio like running on a treadmill. Get into a sleep routine as well to boost your testosterone which will redistribute you fat and also help gain muscle mass. Hopefully within 2-3 months like me you should see somewhat of a result if you stay consistent!!

Also correct pelvic tilt if thats something you may also have as i did!! search for the exercises

Let me know how things go, im looking forward!!
(edited 1 year ago)