atiqh008.211
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How is macbeth presented at various points of the play?
AA..
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by atiqh008.211)
Here are 2 links that I hope will be useful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...v4j/revision/2 - targeted at AQA exam board
https://www.ukessays.com/essays/engl...ture-essay.php - it gives a really good sample essay.
arraychemical12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
English is how you interpret a character, in my eyes, he is fragile and not powerful as he was in the play. You could also link it to other characters like how lady macbeth is a supposed weakness in his eyes or whatever lol.
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There's a lot of different traits which Macbeth shows through his character throughout the play, maybe choose 3 or 4 and write about them (each in a separate paragraph). I'd recommend choosing things that you know the most quotations for!

If you're struggling to think of some, I'd recommend LitCharts or the CGP revision guide if you have it. I'd personally write about ambition, violence etc.
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by arraychemical12)
English is how you interpret a character, in my eyes, he is fragile and not powerful as he was in the play. You could also link it to other characters like how lady macbeth is a supposed weakness in his eyes or whatever lol.
Or you could link how Macbeth is the polar opposite of Malcolm- Macbeth is ruthless and cruel, whereas Malcolm is an honest man who has all the attributes of a good leader. Plus Malcolm is the rightful heir to the throne, and Macbeth is a cheat.

lowkey miss GCSE English lmao
atiqh008.211
Rep:
?
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
Or you could link how Macbeth is the polar opposite of Malcolm- Macbeth is ruthless and cruel, whereas Malcolm is an honest man who has all the attributes of a good leader. Plus Malcolm is the rightful heir to the throne, and Macbeth is a cheat.

lowkey miss GCSE English lmao
could you help me on a 25marker about this question?
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
could you help me on a 25marker about this question?
Sure, what sorts of points are you thinking about writing so far? Or do you wanna brainstorm some instead
atiqh008.211
Rep:
?
Sure, what sorts of points are you thinking about writing so far? Or do you wanna brainstorm some instead
It's a 25 marker, the full question is:
Write about Macbeth and how he is Presented at various points in the play

25 marks*

Like I need a long response for this
atiqh008.211
Rep:
?
by the way, Love your Profile picture XD
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Aim for six concise paragraphs. Describe them in great detail.
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
by the way, Love your Profile picture XD
Hahah thanks 😂

Ok so its been a couple years since I was in Y11 but our teacher always recommended 1 point per paragraph. Do you know how many paragraphs you usually are asked to write for a 25 marker? (I'm asking because I genuinely can't remember this myself). If I had to guess maybe somewhere between 3-5, depending how much you can develop your points (if you tend to write a lot, stick to 3 paragraphs). Also idk if your teacher recommends doing introductions/ conclusions, the advice seems to vary depending on who your teacher is. I think my teacher used to recommend doing them. Anyway this is what I would be thinking:

Introduction: Write 1-2 brief sentences about Macbeth being presented as a complex character throughout the play. His character does change throughout the play, after all (maybe this could be a starting point for you, pick out a couple of traits which he shows in each act). Probably a good idea to make reference to the way in which Shakespeare achieves this, so just say something simple about him using language, form, and structure to do this. But steer clear of using any context or quotations at this point, since you want to be able to use these in your later paragraphs.

ALSO THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOUR NEXT POINTS- ALWAYS LINK YOUR POINT BACK TO THE QUESTION!!!

Paragraph 1 (point 1): I would start off with something simple, so talk about one of the main traits of Macbeth. If you had to describe Macbeth in one word, what would it be? This should be your first point. Some people might suggest starting with a quirky point which other people wouldn't ordinarily think of, but this is pretty silly because the examiner might think that you're not aware of Macbeth's main character features (personally I would choose ambition). It's also essential that you use lots of quotations in your paragraph- aim for at least 3 per paragraph. Analyse your quotations, and use appropriate context where possible (it might not be possible for every quotation, but try and put at least 1 piece of context per paragraph). It's easy to talk about language, but don't forget about form and structure too.

Paragraph 2 (point 2): You could talk about another one of Macbeth's main traits or something a bit more abstract, if you're desperate to do that. I can't recommend LitCharts & your revision guide enough for thinking of these character features, I'm sure you'll also find some more points on the web and in your class notes if you're really struggling. I don't wanna give you a fixed answer because your teacher can look online and if she found that you followed this structure entirely then you'd probably get in trouble 😂 Again, don't forget to include context, quotations, and analyse them for language, form, and structure.

Paragraph 3 (point 3): If this is gonna be your last paragraph, then I'd definitely recommend that you write about a more abstract point, if you've got one. I'm talking about the sorts of things a couple of us mentioned above, like how Macbeth could be contrasted with Malcolm, OR about how he acts towards other characters like Lady Macbeth, how he considers her as weak in the final acts. Follow the same advice with writing about language, form, structure etc.

Paragraphs 4 & 5: It's not essential that you write these, only if you feel like you have some other good points to make, or if you haven't been able to expand on your previous points much. The absolute pain with GCSE English is that you're SO pressed for time, so I recommend that you try writing this essay under timed conditions and see how much time you have left. If you have lots of time, NEVER waste it and write another point.

Conclusion: I never really understood the point of conclusions, they feel like a waste of time. Examiners love them though, so its worth writing a couple lines if it makes them happy. Basically just reiterate the generic point that you said in your intro, about how Macbeth changes his character throughout the play or that he's a complex character. Don't introduce any new points here as it will look messy.

----Anyway best of luck with your essay, I hope your teacher likes it. English GCSE does suck a lot, and I absolutely hated it when I was in Y11, but now I strangely miss it- maybe you will too!
raufmishaal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
you could also include how he was presented like a coward and not as masculine in lady m's eyes and then progressed to being a vile monstrous character, but he was heavily dependent on lady m firstly.
atiqh008.211
Rep:
?
Hahah thanks 😂

Ok so its been a couple years since I was in Y11 but our teacher always recommended 1 point per paragraph. Do you know how many paragraphs you usually are asked to write for a 25 marker? (I'm asking because I genuinely can't remember this myself). If I had to guess maybe somewhere between 3-5, depending how much you can develop your points (if you tend to write a lot, stick to 3 paragraphs). Also idk if your teacher recommends doing introductions/ conclusions, the advice seems to vary depending on who your teacher is. I think my teacher used to recommend doing them. Anyway this is what I would be thinking:

Introduction: Write 1-2 brief sentences about Macbeth being presented as a complex character throughout the play. His character does change throughout the play, after all (maybe this could be a starting point for you, pick out a couple of traits which he shows in each act). Probably a good idea to make reference to the way in which Shakespeare achieves this, so just say something simple about him using language, form, and structure to do this. But steer clear of using any context or quotations at this point, since you want to be able to use these in your later paragraphs.

ALSO THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOUR NEXT POINTS- ALWAYS LINK YOUR POINT BACK TO THE QUESTION!!!

Paragraph 1 (point 1): I would start off with something simple, so talk about one of the main traits of Macbeth. If you had to describe Macbeth in one word, what would it be? This should be your first point. Some people might suggest starting with a quirky point which other people wouldn't ordinarily think of, but this is pretty silly because the examiner might think that you're not aware of Macbeth's main character features (personally I would choose ambition). It's also essential that you use lots of quotations in your paragraph- aim for at least 3 per paragraph. Analyse your quotations, and use appropriate context where possible (it might not be possible for every quotation, but try and put at least 1 piece of context per paragraph). It's easy to talk about language, but don't forget about form and structure too.

Paragraph 2 (point 2): You could talk about another one of Macbeth's main traits or something a bit more abstract, if you're desperate to do that. I can't recommend LitCharts & your revision guide enough for thinking of these character features, I'm sure you'll also find some more points on the web and in your class notes if you're really struggling. I don't wanna give you a fixed answer because your teacher can look online and if she found that you followed this structure entirely then you'd probably get in trouble 😂 Again, don't forget to include context, quotations, and analyse them for language, form, and structure.

Paragraph 3 (point 3): If this is gonna be your last paragraph, then I'd definitely recommend that you write about a more abstract point, if you've got one. I'm talking about the sorts of things a couple of us mentioned above, like how Macbeth could be contrasted with Malcolm, OR about how he acts towards other characters like Lady Macbeth, how he considers her as weak in the final acts. Follow the same advice with writing about language, form, structure etc.

Paragraphs 4 & 5: It's not essential that you write these, only if you feel like you have some other good points to make, or if you haven't been able to expand on your previous points much. The absolute pain with GCSE English is that you're SO pressed for time, so I recommend that you try writing this essay under timed conditions and see how much time you have left. If you have lots of time, NEVER waste it and write another point.

Conclusion: I never really understood the point of conclusions, they feel like a waste of time. Examiners love them though, so its worth writing a couple lines if it makes them happy. Basically just reiterate the generic point that you said in your intro, about how Macbeth changes his character throughout the play or that he's a complex character. Don't introduce any new points here as it will look messy.

----Anyway best of luck with your essay, I hope your teacher likes it. English GCSE does suck a lot, and I absolutely hated it when I was in Y11, but now I strangely miss it- maybe you will too!
GOD BLESS YOU
Spoiler:
Show
:shakehand:
tipexmaster25
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
GOD BLESS YOU
Spoiler:
Show
:shakehand:
Np :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads