Is getting through med school actually quite hard? What are the fail rates like?

Watch this thread
Jones11111
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is getting through med school actually quite hard? What are the fail rates like for medicine in the UK,specifically England?
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jones11111)
Is getting through med school actually quite hard? What are the fail rates like for medicine in the UK,specifically England?
Depends on the individual- you get used to the workload and learn to live with it. It's working as a foundation doctor that gets more challenging.
The fail rate depends from med school to med school (many don't like to disclose it)
At my med school (Birmingham), about 5-10% of the cohort doesn't make it to second year (information from older medics so take it with a pinch of salt), but as long as you keep up with your work regularly, you will be fine
Jones11111
Rep:
(Original post by A_J_B)
Depends on the individual- you get used to the workload and learn to live with it. It's working as a foundation doctor that gets more challenging.
The fail rate depends from med school to med school (many don't like to disclose it)
At my med school (Birmingham), about 5-10% of the cohort doesn't make it to second year (information from older medics so take it with a pinch of salt), but as long as you keep up with your work regularly, you will be fine
Thank you.
Do you think a lot of students fail after year 1 so in later years?Also, is the content specifically complex or is a lot of it at a level standard but just a higher workload. Like how hard is the content to understand?
Also are u a first year, I know a girl from my school who is in her first year of med at Birmingham, I think she got in through the A2B as she got ABB.
Jones11111
Rep:
Also I believe this year more students will fail the exams to compensate for the lack of fy1 places.They can't afford 10k students on med courses for 8I foundation spaces so I bet our years will pay the brunt.
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you.
Do you think a lot of students fail after year 1 so in later years?Also, is the content specifically complex or is a lot of it at a level standard but just a higher workload. Like how hard is the content to understand?
Also are u a first year, I know a girl from my school who is in her first year of med at Birmingham, I think she got in through the A2B as she got ABB.
Yes I'm a first year.
The concepts in medicine are honestly not hard. I love biology (it was my favourite A level subject) so I enjoy the physiology/biochemistry part of it. Anatomy is all about visually learning and active recall. It's just the volume of content that's a bit overwhelming at times..but I like to be busy.
I have heard most students fail in year 1 (when they think they have achieved everything in life by entering med school).
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Supposedly my local med school has a pass rate of >99%. As in, >99% of those who start first year graduate.

I think more normal is maybe 5-10% dropping out (voluntarily or otherwise), but specific evidence is hard to come by. Maybe there are some FOIs out there I haven't seen though.
Jones11111
Rep:
(Original post by nexttime)
Supposedly my local med school has a pass rate of >99%. As in, >99% of those who start first year graduate.

I think more normal is maybe 5-10% dropping out (voluntarily or otherwise), but specific evidence is hard to come by. Maybe there are some FOIs out there I haven't seen though.
Thanks,what is your local med school called?just curious because that pass rate seems really high.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks,what is your local med school called?just curious because that pass rate seems really high.
I think overall completion rates of >90% are probably standard.

If there was a medical school in the UK with a fail/drop out rate of 40% you'd have heard about it.
stuntmanhy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There's a quote that gets bandied around, 'the only thing harder than getting into med school is getting kicked out'.

If you fail an exam, you normally get a resit. If you fail that, you have to resit the year. I've been told by multiple people at my med school, in cases where people end up resitting the year, there is almost always, with very little exception, some sort of exceptional circumstances (personal life/family issues, mental health issues etc.)
Jones11111
Rep:
(Original post by Democracy)
I think overall completion rates of >90% are probably standard.

If there was a medical school in the UK with a fail/drop out rate of 40% you'd have heard about it.
Hi,will the max 10% drop out rate be higher in the coming years due to limited fy1 spaces and there being over 10k students in the 2020 cohort?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (21)
24.71%
The paper was reasonable (38)
44.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
21.18%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.41%

Watched Threads