Is $70/£70 for a video game too much?

Watch
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by wokirow)
£60/£70 is honestly too much for a videogame. The only time I would pay that much is if there is a really nice collector's edition for a gaming franchise I'm heavily invested in (Nier, Final Fantasy). Otherwise, second hand or heavily discounted is where I'm at! I don't buy my videogames higher than £20.

Nintendo will always have my wallet crying though, none of their stuff ever goes on sale
Yes, Nintendo games unfortunately seem to permanently stay around full price.

So glad I've jailbroken my Switch
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£70 is too much imo.
I feel like £30 used to be the going rate for a highly rated game, and the last 5-10 years prices have soared.

If you do a play a game for months it might be worth it but you can never tell when you buy it. Nowadays ill often just wait a few months till the game ends up in sale. I also don’t have as much time to game as I used to, so that probably plays into it.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
If you haven't heard, basically the prices have been jacked up for this new generation with new AAA titles costing around 70 at launch...
No, but the real crime is 1 to 1 USD to GBP conversion.

Why is US$70 = £70?

With current exchange rates that's nearly a 40% markup, and you can't explain it with just the VAT.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, but the real crime is 1 to 1 USD to GBP conversion.

Why is US$70 = £70?

With current exchange rates that's nearly a 40% markup, and you can't explain it with just the VAT.
Yeah, that's annoying as well. games and consoles are cheaper in America than the UK when you compare exchange rates..

On the flip side though they've got no NHS, so have to shell out loads for medical insurance or pay for medical aid as and when they need it (very expensive), so I guess things like these sorta balance out in a way..
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah for the amount of hours of entertainment it's a reasonable price. The amount of time and effort in developing these games most ppl just can’t fathom. I work in development and I’m all for it. Very underrated and under appreciated work.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
Yeah, that's annoying as well. games and consoles are cheaper in America than the UK when you compare exchange rates..

On the flip though they've got no NHS, so have to shell out loads for medical insurance or pay for medical aid as and when they need it (very expensive), so I guess things like these sorta balance out in a way..
That is true but

(1) presumably more young people play video games and the young tend to need healthcare less so it's less of a problem. Some may even use their parents' health insurance so they don't have to pay monthly

(2) other living costs also tend to be cheaper too, like food, petrol (or gaaaaas) etc.

On the flipside, they have to that "mandatory tipping" system which must be incredibly annoying, minimum wage is slightly lower, and they also had to deal with that joke of a president and have a pretty **** presidental election system.

Anyway this is all very much off-topic, so I will bid everyone in this thread farewell :hat2:
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
lhh2003
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
Yes. You can buy 55 boxes of doughnuts for £70! Bargain. 😊
Or, 6 boxes of crispy cremes..
username5252878
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
Or, 6 boxes of crispy cremes..
*Krispy Kreme.

I reckon 10 of them should do OP enough doughnut damage. 😊
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is true but

(1) presumably more young people play video games and the young tend to need healthcare less so it's less of a problem. Some may even use their parents' health insurance so they don't have to pay monthly

(2) other living costs also tend to be cheaper too, like food, petrol (or gaaaaas) etc.

On the flipside, they have to that "mandatory tipping" system which must be incredibly annoying, minimum wage is slightly lower, and they also had to deal with that joke of a president and have a pretty **** presidental election system.

Anyway this is all very much off-topic, so I will bid everyone in this thread farewell :hat2:
Plus doctors get paid outrageous amounts in the US so you'd be rich AF and wouldn't care about how much video games cost.
lhh2003
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatGentleman)
Plus doctors get paid outrageous amounts in the US so you'd be rich AF and wouldn't care about how much video games cost.
The problem is getting their past the USMLEs..
username5600688
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Worth though. It's ridiculous how much money, e.g., surgeons make over there.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Worth though. It's ridiculous how much money, e.g., surgeons make over there.
You'd also have literally no time to play it.

The doctors there work brutal hours, there's the "pre-rounds" and staying late is the norm.

If you count salary per hour, it probably works out not much different to the UK.
username5600688
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd also have literally no time to play it.

The doctors there work brutal hours, there's the "pre-rounds" and staying late is the norm.

If you count salary per hour, it probably works out not much different to the UK.
I think that's the case with most jobs in the US. Longer hours in general. Still, you can be a millionaire easily in a few years as a surgeon there.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think that's the case with most jobs in the US. Longer hours in general. Still, you can be a millionaire easily in a few years as a surgeon there.
Only after you have gone through the brutal training pathway though.
V℮rsions
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I wouldn't pay more than £35 for a game, no matter how good or long it lasts
username5600688
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only after you have gone through the brutal training pathway though.
Yeah but even so, lifetime of having a great paying, emotionally rewarding (even if stressful) and high status job. Worth. I assume you're not as well paid being a UK doctor (if you're, PM me and be friends ), but I'd think the satisfaction you get from helping people ALONE is worth it.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah but even so, lifetime of having a great paying, emotionally rewarding (even if stressful) and high status job. Worth. I assume you're not as well paid being a UK doctor (if you're, PM me and be friends ), but I'd think the satisfaction you get from helping people ALONE is worth it.
:rofl: What's your salary threshold before we are allowed to be friends?
username5600688
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:rofl: What's your salary threshold before we are allowed to be friends?
260K dollars (like 180k pounds) is the average salary for a US neurologist. So minimum, that.

J/k.

Spoiler:
Show
Although if you make 180k a year, I have a sister I want you to meet.

Spoiler:
Show
OR if you like ugly guys, I'm available too

Spoiler:
Show
JOKES AGAIN! I'M NOT UGLY
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
260K dollars (like 180k pounds) is the average salary for a US neurologist. So minimum, that.

J/k.

Spoiler:
Show

Although if you make 180k a year, I have a sister I want you to meet.
Spoiler:
Show

OR if you like ugly guys, I'm available too
Spoiler:
Show

JOKES AGAIN! I'M NOT UGLY
Oooh sister sounds interesting

Sadly I don't earn £180k so no CatLady for me
username5600688
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oooh sister sounds interesting

Sadly I don't earn £180k so no CatLady for me
I know you don't. Still among the most if not most emotionally rewarding, high status and socially useful jobs. You're lucky AF.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.85%
Uncertainty around my education (441)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (336)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.02%
Loneliness (256)
8.56%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (264)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed