Is $70/£70 for a video game too much?

Watch
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatGentleman)
I know you don't. Still among the most if not most emotionally rewarding, high status and socially useful jobs. You're lucky AF.
Not lucky, there were plenty of bumps along the way.

I also sort of sacrificed my personal life to achieve this, so perhaps that's why I'm still single? It's not easy to be "the youngest consultant possible" and now I feel I'm burning out.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends how many hours you get with the game and the quality. A game that takes 100 hours to complete but is mundane isn’t worth it, a game that is amazing but can be completed in 5-6 hours, also not worth it.

So to say just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. That being said, cheap doesn’t mean crap either!
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not lucky, there were plenty of bumps along the way.

I also sort of sacrificed my personal life to achieve this, so perhaps that's why I'm still single? It's not easy to be "the youngest consultant possible" and now I feel I'm burning out.
Sry man, Idk why u would be single, girls are insane I think .

You're still lucky. Lots of things could've happened that could've prevented you from becoming a doctor. Illnesses, family trouble, etc, things outside of your control which definitely affect how one's life goes. Early age is extremely important too.

I am not minimising the sacrifices at all, I don't mean like you're lucky just like a person who wins the lottery is lucky.

Anyway I destroyed this thread. sry op.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt, I remember when they were £39.99.
Those were the days.
lhh2003
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd also have literally no time to play it.

The doctors there work brutal hours, there's the "pre-rounds" and staying late is the norm.

If you count salary per hour, it probably works out not much different to the UK.
UK band 9 consultants ; well seasoned brain and maxillofacial surgeons well into their 50s, at most earn £100K a year. In the $160,000 is what a family doctor gets paid who is in their early 30s, as.a starting salary...

Consultants in the US are easily making at least $1 million a year. 10x the salary for 1.5x the hours is a VERY fair deal to me.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
UK band 9 consultants...
(1) Doctors in the NHS are not on the AfC pay scales, so we are not "Band 7, Band 8 or Band 9".

(2) Plenty of NHS doctors complement NHS with private work. Even yours truly has been asked to work privately for substantially more than NHS wages, and I'm in my early 30s and a brand new consultant.

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere, there's litigation risks, expensive health insurance, competitive training system etc.

I personally would prefer earning less but working in a fairer healthcare system.

Anyway this is all incredibly :topic:
lhh2003
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(1) Doctors in the NHS are not on the AfC pay scales, so we are not "Band 7, Band 8 or Band 9".

(2) Plenty of NHS doctors complement NHS with private work. Even yours truly has been asked to work privately for substantially more than NHS wages, and I'm in my early 30s and a brand new consultant.

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere, there's litigation risks, expensive health insurance, competitive training system etc.

I personally would prefer earning less but working in a fairer healthcare system.

Anyway this is all incredibly :topic:
You told me that 6/7 are rejected for neurosurgery training. Is that not competitive ?

And true XD this is very off topic
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
If you haven't heard, basically the prices have been jacked up for this new generation with new AAA titles costing around 70 at launch

Is this too much for a game?
(the playstation boss doesn't seem to think so)
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...ystation-boss/

What do you think?
I think so, yes. It's getting too expensive for people to enjoy gaming now. I would not pay more than £50 for a video game personally. Even if that means waiting until it drops in price or buying second hand.
JMo03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
It depends how many hours you get with the game and the quality. A game that takes 100 hours to complete but is mundane isn’t worth it, a game that is amazing but can be completed in 5-6 hours, also not worth it.

So to say just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. That being said, cheap doesn’t mean crap either!
Yeah, totally agree. I'd pay 70 quid to play RDR2 for the first time again, hands down, bcos it's long and amazing. Something like ghostrunner, it's great but short and not worth AAA prices (which tbf it isn't but I needed an example).
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt, I remember when they were £39.99.
Really? I remember the last time they were £70. Co-incidentally, it was the year you were born.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're referring to recent PS5 games, it's nothing new. I remember when Nintendo64 launched in 1997 the games reached £60-70 in Currys stores, etc.
SteveLMAOStomach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£40-50 is the max I'd pay and even then it'd have to be a game I'm dying to play. I get most of my games used from CeX for like half the price.
JMo03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SteveLMAOStomach)
£40-50 is the max I'd pay and even then it'd have to be a game I'm dying to play. I get most of my games used from CeX for like half the price.
If you don't consider where the games come from, G2A is an awesome shout
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you haven't heard, basically the prices have been jacked up for this new generation with new AAA titles costing around 70 at launch

Is this too much for a game?
(the playstation boss doesn't seem to think so)
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...ystation-boss/

What do you think?
Depends on the game itself. There are prices for games you can't even dream of! after all what prices I know for some, this is a bargain!
Toast210
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really don't like the increase of prices. £49.99 was enough and should never have been higher.
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like a lot but when you consider the amount of hours you put in and the amount of work put into AAA games it's probably pretty fair.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by NedgarDavids)
It sounds like a lot but when you consider the amount of hours you put in and the amount of work put into AAA games it's probably pretty fair.
(Original post by Toast210)
I really don't like the increase of prices. £49.99 was enough and should never have been higher.
arguably the true cost of an AAA title is like $200 - $400 million, as that's how much some of them cost to make

If you think of that way, £70 seems like a bargain.
Toast210
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
arguably the true cost of an AAA title is like $200 - $400 million, as that's how much some of them cost to make

If you think of that way, £70 seems like a bargain.
To be honest, I have rarely ever paid full price for a game. I will always wait for games to have discounts before purchasing them, so maybe I don't know what the price of a game should be. Since I've always purchased big AAA games when they're cheap, I subconsciously expect most games to be at that price. So when I buy a game for £70, it makes me feel underwhelmed and cheated, just because I've always paid less. Maybe I just don't understand the price of a game.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I remember paying £44.99 for FFX on release day 20 yrs ago, that was on PS2

I can't remember seeing PS2 games higher than £49.99 at that point ...although I didn't own a N64 so can't remember it's prices..
£45 in 2001 is equivalent to about £76 in 2020, so games are actually cheaper today than they were 20 years ago. That's before you mention all the extra work and money that goes into modern games and how much more advanced they are than games from 20 years ago.

It's actually crazy though. I'd cough up £45 back then for a game, but, despite knowing that games are actually cheaper and offer more value for money, granted, the value can be debated because many older games may have been more enjoyable. However, they tended to offer smaller game worlds and shorter stories.

Smartphones on the other hand? That's just a price hike after price hike (not neccecarily from manufacturers, I do believe Qualcomm is price gouging with their 5G chips, which is why 5G phones tend to be so much more expensive). But that's a matter for another thread I suppose.

I think the problem is that we get caught up with what we learned the value of money was while growing up and it's a hard thing to shake. Like I said, I know that even at £70, games today are actually cheaper, but it just seems too costly. Granted, I've also had the pleasure of being spoiled by the blessings of PC gaming where you often find very deep discounts. But for £70, I'd be expecting some sort of special edition of a game. You know, like a collectors edition with a steelbook case and some extra goodies, not just the base game in a plastic case or a digital edition.

20 years from now, I suspect those who will grow up with £70 games will be making threads like these saying they were fine with £70 but don't feel fine spending £120 on a game. That's assuming the industry hasn't tanked itself by moving gaming to a streaming service...

Having said that, I think a number of companies are realising the impact these higher prices have. That's why we're seeing stuff like EA access, Xbox Gamepass, Ubisoft -whatever the hell they call it-. Subscription services that offer access to a library of games you can download and play providing you're subscribed. You get all of it for a low monthly price.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.85%
Uncertainty around my education (441)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (336)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.02%
Loneliness (256)
8.56%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (264)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed