The Student Room Group

Very Close to Entry Requirements

I'm going to be applying to university next year with grades
A* - Computer Science
A - Maths
A - Further Maths

Most universities I'm looking at have a requirement of A*AA with the A* in Maths - how rigid do universities tend to be with this, especially as I already have the grades.
I think they'll be pretty lenient this year, but also unis generally don't mind if you're one grade down, particularly if they have spaces on a course. Good luck with your application!
They are likely to be more strict with achieved grades than predicted. Call them up and ask them before you apply.
Many Uni will 'consider' application that are one-grade-below - either for a specified subject or overall, and this is why its worth having at least one or two 'risky' choices like this. More advice about what your 5 choices should look like here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by DoNotMove
I'm going to be applying to university next year with grades
A* - Computer Science
A - Maths
A - Further Maths

Most universities I'm looking at have a requirement of A*AA with the A* in Maths - how rigid do universities tend to be with this, especially as I already have the grades.

Not having the A* in Maths might cost you your place. Nobody can tell for definite but usually where universities ask for an A* in Maths they stick by it. Have some other options that only have an A requirement. Computer Science in top universities is very Mathematical hence why they ask for high Maths grade. There are some who wont look at your Maths. Lancaster being a prime candidate and I think Exeter look for a B in Maths or used to. Nottingham and Liverpool might be worth looking into as well. Give yourself at least preferably 2 choices where you meet the requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Not having the A* in Maths might cost you your place. Nobody can tell for definite but usually where universities ask for an A* in Maths they stick by it. Have some other options that only have an A requirement. Computer Science in top universities is very Mathematical hence why they ask for high Maths grade. There are some who wont look at your Maths. Lancaster being a prime candidate and I think Exeter look for a B in Maths or used to. Nottingham and Liverpool might be worth looking into as well. Give yourself at least preferably 2 choices where you meet the requirements.

I went to uni at Bristol for a bit and their offer was A*AA with A* in Maths and I didn't get the A* in maths and results day they still let me in so I figured I could probably get lucky, but it's good to know how strict other universities are. Thanks for the advice (:

Quick Reply

Latest