Chem A level help - rate equations

Watch this thread
1234567890xyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
State which of the proposed mechanisms could be a possible mechanism and which could not be a correct mechanism. Do not assume that there is one answer in each case!

Overall reaction: P + 2 Q  R
Rate equation: rate = k [P]

Possible mechanism 1:
step 1 (rds) P + Q  PQ
step 2 PQ + Q  R

Possible mechanism 2:
step 1 2 Q  Q2
step 2 (rds) Q2 + P  R

Answer:
mechanism 1 = not possible; mechanism 2 = not possible

Why?????
danielhaslam19
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Pay attention to the rate equation. Rate = k[P]. This means that the rate depends on P only.

Now take a look at each mechanism. For the first mechanism, the slow (rate-determining) step shows a reaction between P and Q. This means that the rate depends on P and Q, so the reaction would theoretically be rate = k[P][Q]. This is obviously wrong.

For the second one, the rate determining step shows a reaction between Q2 and P. Again, look at how the RDS involves the reaction of Q with P. This reaction depends on concentration of both, so the rate equation couldn't just depend on P.

^^^ Hope I made sense. I'm doing A2 and it's been a couple of months since I went over rate equations so apologies if this is a little mistaken lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed