Got 5A*s A level. Does Imperial offer places via Adjustment?

Watch
Firsttimeuser19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I didn’t apply to imperial this year but I was wondering if the university offers places to students who have exceeded the entry requirements.

I already have an unconditional offer to study physical natsci at Cambridge but I’ve always wanted to study at Imperial as the university’s style of teaching and environment always appealed to me personally.

Is this at possible?
arshdixit893
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Firsttimeuser19)
I didn’t apply to imperial this year but I was wondering if the university offers places to students who have exceeded the entry requirements.

I already have an unconditional offer to study physical natsci at Cambridge but I’ve always wanted to study at Imperial as the university’s style of teaching and environment always appealed to me personally.

Is this at possible?
I don't think so, you only go into clearing if you get rejected from all unis and imperial rarely participates.

Adjustment is a UCAS process for applicants who exceed the conditions of their offer with their firm choice university.

It's a way to potentially swap your place for one on another course you prefer at a university that is taking part in the Adjustment process.

It is usually available for around two weeks from A-level results day and it's entirely optional.

You can register for Adjustment in UCAS Track. If you try it but don’t find a course you prefer, you will still keep the place on the course you gained on results day.

You'll only lose that place if you confirm you'd like to go elsewhere and the new university/college adds themselves to your application.

You should check other universities’ websites and UCAS for more information on Adjustment.
Firsttimeuser19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by arshdixit893)
I don't think so, you only go into clearing if you get rejected from all unis and imperial rarely participates.

Adjustment is a UCAS process for applicants who exceed the conditions of their offer with their firm choice university.

It's a way to potentially swap your place for one on another course you prefer at a university that is taking part in the Adjustment process.

It is usually available for around two weeks from A-level results day and it's entirely optional.

You can register for Adjustment in UCAS Track. If you try it but don’t find a course you prefer, you will still keep the place on the course you gained on results day.

You'll only lose that place if you confirm you'd like to go elsewhere and the new university/college adds themselves to your application.

You should check other universities’ websites and UCAS for more information on Adjustment.
Isn’t there a difference between adjustment and clearing?

I read about others users claiming they were given a place at Imperial via adjustment but those were a few years ago.

Should I call up the physics department and “make my case”?
arshdixit893
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Isn’t there a difference between adjustment and clearing?

I read about others users claiming they were given a place at Imperial via adjustment but those were a few years ago.

Should I call up the physics department and “make my case”?
there is, my post said so.

I think emailing may be a better idea though there's a chance they might just send you the FAQ where it says the application deadline is the 29th, they take a while to reply too.

I did ask about whether or not I should phone up the department when I was having a few issues and I was told it was rude, if I am being honest I don't think you have too much to lose by doing that.

why do you wanna study at imperial so much? I remember hearing a natsci ug at cambridge talking about how it was immensely better than imperial and that the courses were different? https://youtu.be/2yXthCcT9Ys, the first vid I could find about it.

just be very sure you wanna do that, you don't wanna end up regretting that you had the chance but didn't end up going to cambridge.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago

Is this at possible?
Unlikely unless you have applied to them. You would have to start a whole new application as it is overscribed as you would expect for a world class university.
arshdixit893
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Unlikely unless you have applied to them. You would have to start a whole new application as it is overscribed as you would expect for a world class university.
why go anon over this? the british mind is a mystery.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Congrats on the great A level results and Cambridge offer ! I would strongly recommend sticking with this, Imperial physics saw a big over-subscription last year as way more students than normal made their grades as the covid driven teacher assessments kicked in. Some of that "extra" cohort was deferred to 2021 entry, which means that there are already more students than usual accepted. We will prpbably see more of the same with this years non-exam A levels. I think the chance of you making a "late" bid and being accepted is near zero because of this TBH, however good your grades. You are in a really excellent position already with the Cambridge place and you should really stick with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (85)
12.67%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (72)
10.73%
Financial worries (42)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (40)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (65)
9.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (53)
7.9%

Watched Threads