What is it like studying biomed at Westminster???

Watch this thread
idiotsandwich5
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to hear your about your experience at the uni, former student or current student doesn’t matter.
I would like to know:
1) How are the teaching staff at Westminster?
2) Do you regret going to Westminster?
3) what are some of the things you like about course,uni?
4) things you dislike about the course,uni?
5) tips to succeed and survive uni,any other things you wish you knew before going to university.

Honestly I would really appreciate it if you could help me, you don’t have to answer all the questions. Give me your honest opinion please! Thank you for helping me
James-Uni of Westminster
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by idiotsandwich5)
I want to hear your about your experience at the uni, former student or current student doesn’t matter.
I would like to know:
1) How are the teaching staff at Westminster?
2) Do you regret going to Westminster?
3) what are some of the things you like about course,uni?
4) things you dislike about the course,uni?
5) tips to succeed and survive uni,any other things you wish you knew before going to university.

Honestly I would really appreciate it if you could help me, you don’t have to answer all the questions. Give me your honest opinion please! Thank you for helping me
Hi,

I graduated from the University of Westminster in 2020 and had a very enjoyable four years studying there. I now work for the universities Course Enquiries Team but I am still able to offer a bit of advise and guidance on what to expect. I didn't take Biomedical Science but I can try and answer your questions based on my own experiences.

1. How are the teaching staff at Westminster?

One of the main points I can make about the tutors is their open and approachable manner. If ever I was stuck on a piece of assessment or didn't quite understand something, they were always on hand to help outline what they were looking for. Most tutors I had also offered optional half an hour meetings just one on one to go over the module content and the essays. Therefore I always felt like they wanted me to succeed. The teachers come from a diverse background and differing ages and perspectives.

2. Do you regret going to Westminster?

Not at all. I first drawn to the university due to its central location in London. I was based at Regent Street campus and found this to be a really unique space of London to work in, surrounded by history and bustling city life. My only regret was not applying myself as stringently in the my first two years (even though I worked hard at the end), I would have liked to have done the year abroad program in my second year and studied a semester in the United States as these opportunities appear to be very valuable to those who did it. I never held any regrets about choosing the University of Westminster.

3. What are some of the things you like about the course and the university?

I studied Politics and this was a subject I had an interest in since college. Therefore, I liked having my university being situated close to the heart of political life in Britain. This enabled us to go on trips around London to relevant sites, and quite simply, I liked going for walks around central London after classes. The lessons also never felt the same. The modules I chose were varied, open and there was a lot of debating as soon as we became comfortable. The university is obviously made up of city based campuses, therefore you live in a separate area to where you study, and I really enjoyed navigating my way around the city during my first months and using the underground. It somehow propels you a few years in age and makes you grow up quicker.

4. Things I disliked about my course?

There wasn't many overriding factors that made me dislike the course. If I had to really pick one, it would be the way the assessments in some modules were designed. The teachers were keen to keep the material fresh and the mode of assessments different so we would have to do more interactive projects or doing group work. This was fine but sometimes would confuse the students and we would probably have preferred to just do a normal essay and some people would have liked to have worked alone and not be constrained by a group. However, this could be completely different for Biomedical Science.

5. Tips to succeed at university and things I wish I knew before going?

Budget as efficiently as you can. Try not to spend too much on little non-essential purchases throughout the day because they really do add up. If you are more sensible than me, then you will be fine.
Insert all your deadline dates into an academic calendar and put markers 2-3 weeks before the submission to "start this essay", " begin preparation/revision". These dates really do come around fast. This will help you stay ahead, especially during the winter months of December and early January where the work starts to build up and you have to tackle it all bit by bit.
Use your surroundings as much as you can to get yourself ahead. The silent library on the lower floor of the Great Titchfield Street Law School is a great place to get work done without distraction. Spend an two hours or so week doing your readings somewhere quiet and immerse yourself in the course. Make sure you make time for yourself.

I hope you find some of this helpful and good luck with journey

All the best,
James
Course Enquiries Team
University of Westminster
idiotsandwich5
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by James-Uni of Westminster)
Hi,

I graduated from the University of Westminster in 2020 and had a very enjoyable four years studying there. I now work for the universities Course Enquiries Team but I am still able to offer a bit of advise and guidance on what to expect. I didn't take Biomedical Science but I can try and answer your questions based on my own experiences.

1. How are the teaching staff at Westminster?

One of the main points I can make about the tutors is their open and approachable manner. If ever I was stuck on a piece of assessment or didn't quite understand something, they were always on hand to help outline what they were looking for. Most tutors I had also offered optional half an hour meetings just one on one to go over the module content and the essays. Therefore I always felt like they wanted me to succeed. The teachers come from a diverse background and differing ages and perspectives.

2. Do you regret going to Westminster?

Not at all. I first drawn to the university due to its central location in London. I was based at Regent Street campus and found this to be a really unique space of London to work in, surrounded by history and bustling city life. My only regret was not applying myself as stringently in the my first two years (even though I worked hard at the end), I would have liked to have done the year abroad program in my second year and studied a semester in the United States as these opportunities appear to be very valuable to those who did it. I never held any regrets about choosing the University of Westminster.

3. What are some of the things you like about the course and the university?

I studied Politics and this was a subject I had an interest in since college. Therefore, I liked having my university being situated close to the heart of political life in Britain. This enabled us to go on trips around London to relevant sites, and quite simply, I liked going for walks around central London after classes. The lessons also never felt the same. The modules I chose were varied, open and there was a lot of debating as soon as we became comfortable. The university is obviously made up of city based campuses, therefore you live in a separate area to where you study, and I really enjoyed navigating my way around the city during my first months and using the underground. It somehow propels you a few years in age and makes you grow up quicker.

4. Things I disliked about my course?

There wasn't many overriding factors that made me dislike the course. If I had to really pick one, it would be the way the assessments in some modules were designed. The teachers were keen to keep the material fresh and the mode of assessments different so we would have to do more interactive projects or doing group work. This was fine but sometimes would confuse the students and we would probably have preferred to just do a normal essay and some people would have liked to have worked alone and not be constrained by a group. However, this could be completely different for Biomedical Science.

5. Tips to succeed at university and things I wish I knew before going?

Budget as efficiently as you can. Try not to spend too much on little non-essential purchases throughout the day because they really do add up. If you are more sensible than me, then you will be fine.
Insert all your deadline dates into an academic calendar and put markers 2-3 weeks before the submission to "start this essay", " begin preparation/revision". These dates really do come around fast. This will help you stay ahead, especially during the winter months of December and early January where the work starts to build up and you have to tackle it all bit by bit.
Use your surroundings as much as you can to get yourself ahead. The silent library on the lower floor of the Great Titchfield Street Law School is a great place to get work done without distraction. Spend an two hours or so week doing your readings somewhere quiet and immerse yourself in the course. Make sure you make time for yourself.

I hope you find some of this helpful and good luck with journey

All the best,
James
Course Enquiries Team
University of Westminster
Hi James,
Thank you for this incredibly detailed answer. I really appreciate your time. Thank you so much for helping me. I found your answers reassuring. I haven’t visited the uni yet so I feel like I’m going into it blind but I’ll have the open day on 13th March so I think that will help too. I completely agree with you, organisation is key. I am good at budgeting And I will be living at home so I don’t have to worry too much about the money. Good luck to you aswell!
Have a great day!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.74%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.38%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
10.15%

Watched Threads