sumayaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys,

I’m in year 12. How do you guys pick a course for Uni? I’m struggling picking between psychology and medicine. I may do something that combines them both e.g. psychiatry but I’m not sure honestly. Every time i set my mind on one of them, I feel like I picked the wrong one, and this goes ON.
I was first going to see my grades at the end of A levels and see how much i enjoyed my subjects as well as how hard I worked and how much my work ethic improved then apply for the suitable course, but nope i forgot all about UCAS. My school has started talking about personal statements and how the ones for medicine is due in October. I’m not sure if I should write mine to suit psychology and medicine since I still don’t know what I want to do. I think i just need to have some work experience in those environments, but that’s not possible. I’m in a lot of medicine programmes and some psychology ones as I know I’d probably need more medicine guidance if i did pick it. I legit cannot pick and i can’t imagine myself working in a professional environment, probably because i feel kinda demotivated mostly because I’ll be the first person in my family to do a proper Uni degree and then get a job after, idk but this has like discouraged me because I’m just sumaya from the ghetto with sisters who mostly turned out as housewives and is probably expected to become one. Let’s just say i defo need to have more faith/confidence in myself, hence why i’ve enrolled in so many programmes.

any advice ?

Thank youuu
Last edited by sumayaaa; 2 months ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
Hey guys,

I’m in year 12. How do you guys pick a course for Uni? I’m struggling picking between psychology and medicine. I may do something that combines them both e.g. psychiatry but I’m not sure honestly. Every time i set my mind on one of them, I feel like I picked the wrong one, and this goes ON.
I was first going to see my grades at the end of A levels and see how much i enjoyed my subjects as well as how hard I worked and how much my work ethic improved then apply for the suitable course, but nope i forgot all about UCAS. My school has started talking about personal statements and how the ones for medicine is due in October. I’m not sure if I should write mine to suit psychology and medicine since I still don’t know what I want to do. I think i just need to have some work experience in those environments, but that’s not possible. I’m in a lot of medicine programmes and some psychology ones as I know I’d probably need more medicine guidance if i did pick it. I legit cannot pick and i can’t imagine myself working in a professional environment, probably because i feel kinda demotivated mostly because I’ll be the first person in my family to do a proper Uni degree and then get a job after, idk but this has like discouraged me because I’m just sumaya from the ghetto with sisters who mostly turned out as housewives and is probably expected to become one. Let’s just say i defo need to have more faith/confidence in myself, hence why i’ve enrolled in so many programmes.

any advice ?

Thank youuu
You can't become a psychiatrist without studying medicine first.

When you say you're in a lot of medicine programmes, what do you mean by that? Work experience?

A mixed personal statement is rarely a good idea if you're applying for medicine. Medicine is very competitive and they expect commitment.

Ultimately the question of "do I want to do medicine?" is the same as "do I want to be a doctor?" - have you thought about it like that?
Last edited by Democracy; 2 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Democracy)
But you can become a Psychologist with a Psychology degree.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m struggling picking between psychology and medicine.
Its been hard for potential applicants this year to get any relevant work experience and therefore to see if Medicine is the career they really want. Here is the advice from the Medical School Council : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...e-pandemic.pdf

There is a good online virtual program offered by Brighton and Sussex : https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE
There are also many Medicine Summer School programs such as as Sutton Trust, or MedView at UCL, that are worth applying for. All of this will give you an insight into what Medicine involves both as a degree and as a career.

Remember that there are also many 'Gateway to Medicine' course - 1 year foundation-style courses for those who fulfil different widening participation criteria and have a lower grade expectation, to go into Medicine - after that course you would have an automatic place on a 5 year course at the same Uni. Having watched students go through one of these courses, it isn't just the academic stuff that is important - its the impact on confidence and 'I'm good enough, bright enough, for this' determination that is equally valuable - and life changing. There are also lower grade Contextual Offers for 5 year A100 Medicine courses for those from lower-achieving schools or home postcodes where few people go to University. This is all to encourage less 'traditional' applicants to apply for Medicine.

You only have 4 UCAS choices for Medicine - so your 5th choice has to be a non-med subject. Many applicants will go for something like Biomedical Science, Biochemistry etc but Psychology would be another totally acceptable and sensible choice. And don't worry about the Personal Statement - Unis are very used to this issue for Med applicants. Many courses do not even read the PS - Psychology at Bristol doesn't for instance, they just look at grades.
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)

When you say you're in a lot of medicine programmes, what do you mean by that? Work experience?

A mixed personal statement is rarely a good idea if you're applying for medicine. Medicine is very competitive and they expect commitment.

Ultimately the question of "do I want to do medicine?" is the same as "do I want to be a doctor?" - have you thought about it like that?
yeah sorry , i meant combining both medicine and psychology and becoming a psychiatrist (im aware i have to take medicine to do so)

Yeah, like programmes that provide you with a mentor that is doing the subject you want e.g. medicine student and just help build up your skills and improve your University applications by giving practice with the interviews and what not (that’s later on in the year though)

Yeah, that’s how I think of it as. I’m thinking of being a pediatrician perhaps or psychiatrist, yet at the same time I’m also interested in becoming a psychologist (not sure what field yet). All those jobs interest me and I know I would enjoy working as them.

Also thanks for replyingg
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Its been hard for potential applicants this year to get any relevant work experience and therefore to see if Medicine is the career they really want. Here is the advice from the Medical School Council : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...e-pandemic.pdf

There is a good online virtual program offered by Brighton and Sussex : https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE
There are also many Medicine Summer School programs such as as Sutton Trust, or MedView at UCL, that are worth applying for. All of this will give you an insight into what Medicine involves both as a degree and as a career.

Remember that there are also many 'Gateway to Medicine' course - 1 year foundation-style courses for those who fulfil different widening participation criteria and have a lower grade expectation, to go into Medicine - after that course you would have an automatic place on a 5 year course at the same Uni. Having watched students go through one of these courses, it isn't just the academic stuff that is important - its the impact on confidence and 'I'm good enough, bright enough, for this' determination that is equally valuable - and life changing. There are also lower grade Contextual Offers for 5 year A100 Medicine courses for those from lower-achieving schools or home postcodes where few people go to University. This is all to encourage less 'traditional' applicants to apply for Medicine.

You only have 4 UCAS choices for Medicine - so your 5th choice has to be a non-med subject. Many applicants will go for something like Biomedical Science, Biochemistry etc but Psychology would be another totally acceptable and sensible choice. And don't worry about the Personal Statement - Unis are very used to this issue for Med applicants. Many courses do not even read the PS - Psychology at Bristol doesn't for instance, they just look at grades.
Oh wow, thanks for the reply! It was really informative and helpful!

Yeah, I’ve applied for the sutton trust summer camp thing already but will defo check out the links you wrote.

Oh wow, that’s cool! I’ve seen on UCL that i would be able to get a contextual offer. I’ve also applied for the Realising Opportunities programme so that too can lower a grade (itll still end up being the same grade as the contextual offer i think). I will defo take a look at the Gateway to Medicine option.

Ah i see. I haven’t been told much about UCAS, but is it that you apply to 5 different universities right? I’m not really sure about the whole thing, so if you could explain this if you’ve got time that’d be great! I understand if you don’t have time. Oh wow I never knew that, I’ll defo put psychology down then as my 5th option. I also saw at UCL that medicine is a 6 year programme with an Integrated BSc, not sure what that means but if it means i can pick another course to do for a year, it’ll be psychology. This is so stupid, but what can i do with an integrated BSc? I’m pretty sure they didn’t jam 4 years of content into one year. Is it just to learn something outside of medicine or..?

Thank you for the reply again!
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I haven’t been told much about UCAS, but is it that you apply to 5 different universities right?
5 UCAS Choices but only 4 can be Medicine.

Lots more info here about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
arwaisfailing
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
an integrated Bsc is just one year, and ofc it’s not the same as a whole other degree but u get a good foundation in academic research which is good if that’s something ur interested in also, you get extra points if you do this, so ur more likely to get ur first choice when it coming to choosing rotations as a junior doctor

if ur interested in medicine, just make sure ur fully committed when u apply bc literally just the application process is incredibly exhausting, and obviously the education and being a doctor itself is even more tiring so u have to be 100% about it

i’m in y13, applied for med this year and waiting for offers atm - lmk if u have any questions i could answer xx
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
5 UCAS Choices but only 4 can be Medicine.

Lots more info here about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
thank you again, truly!!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by arwaisfailing)
an integrated Bsc is just one year, and ofc it’s not the same as a whole other degree but u get a good foundation in academic research which is good if that’s something ur interested in also, you get extra points if you do this, so ur more likely to get ur first choice when it coming to choosing rotations as a junior doctor

if ur interested in medicine, just make sure ur fully committed when u apply bc literally just the application process is incredibly exhausting, and obviously the education and being a doctor itself is even more tiring so u have to be 100% about it

i’m in y13, applied for med this year and waiting for offers atm - lmk if u have any questions i could answer xx
ahh i see, makes more sense!
Thank youu!! It really does mean a lot, and I wish you all the best and hope you get into your dream uni! I'll pm you so I don't bother the others on the forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads