OscarF
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there,

I've been thinking (probably more likely considered overthinking) about this for a while. Basically, long story short, I have a speech competition - which I really want to win. It's the conclusion to our topic in English on rhetoric. I want to have a speech which isn't just waffle, and isn't boring to listen to but instead is based on a fascinating topic, is concise and well-written. And so obviously I need a topic for my speech, which is where I'm struggling. I've come up with two ideas - which I think are okay, but firstly I can't choose between them, and I'm almost 100% sure that I come up with a better idea, so any help would be much appreciated. (Also they have to convince people to do/to agree with you on something, which my ideas sort of aren't that, they more just sort of teach you about a subject which I then awkwardly sort of tried to fit into that criteria).

The ideas:

1) How such a violent group like ISIS got to power, and how it should be prevented using foreign aid.

2) Tougher legislation on social media giants (focusing on the Facebook, Cambridge Analytica scandal)

Both I have a fair amount of knowledge on - I have quite robust knowledge in both the worlds of politics (domestic, foreign and legislature) and pre-existing knowledge (and yes before all of those documentaries made it popular) on the fundamental problems that companies like Facebook face.

(Some maybe interesting backstory): Part of the reason I really want to win, and have a stunning speech is because I remember a few years ago (at my primary school, probably year 6) we had a speech competition which I did at most okay in - probably got into the second or third round, can't really remember. Anyway, that did really matter to me. But since then I've loved writing - and have become like top of my class in like everything which I wasn't before - and I've always thought: damn, I wish we could have another competition like that... Well now my chance is here, and I really want to do a fantastic job.

Once again, any response/help to my ramble above would be so greatly appreciated!
nnth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OscarF)
Hey there,

I've been thinking (probably more likely considered overthinking) about this for a while. Basically, long story short, I have a speech competition - which I really want to win. It's the conclusion to our topic in English on rhetoric. I want to have a speech which isn't just waffle, and isn't boring to listen to but instead is based on a fascinating topic, is concise and well-written. And so obviously I need a topic for my speech, which is where I'm struggling. I've come up with two ideas - which I think are okay, but firstly I can't choose between them, and I'm almost 100% sure that I come up with a better idea, so any help would be much appreciated. (Also they have to convince people to do/to agree with you on something, which my ideas sort of aren't that, they more just sort of teach you about a subject which I then awkwardly sort of tried to fit into that criteria).

The ideas:

1) How such a violent group like ISIS got to power, and how it should be prevented using foreign aid.

2) Tougher legislation on social media giants (focusing on the Facebook, Cambridge Analytica scandal)

Both I have a fair amount of knowledge on - I have quite robust knowledge in both the worlds of politics (domestic, foreign and legislature) and pre-existing knowledge (and yes before all of those documentaries made it popular) on the fundamental problems that companies like Facebook face.

(Some maybe interesting backstory): Part of the reason I really want to win, and have a stunning speech is because I remember a few years ago (at my primary school, probably year 6) we had a speech competition which I did at most okay in - probably got into the second or third round, can't really remember. Anyway, that did really matter to me. But since then I've loved writing - and have become like top of my class in like everything which I wasn't before - and I've always thought: damn, I wish we could have another competition like that... Well now my chance is here, and I really want to do a fantastic job.

Once again, any response/help to my ramble above would be so greatly appreciated!
Are you restraining yourself to these two ideas, or are you open to others?
OscarF
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
Are you restraining yourself to these two ideas, or are you open to others?
Whoops... That's a mistake that I didn't make myself clear: Absolutely I am open to others!
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The ideas:

Okay, well, I think the ideas you currently have are good. Debating how ISIS should be be prevented using foreign aid and tougher legislation on social media giants. As you say, this speech competition is based on the technique of rhetoric. According to Bowell and Kemp's Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide (2002), rhetoric is defined as:

Any verbal or written attempt to persuade someone to believe, desire, or do something that does not attempt to give good reasons for the belief, desire, or action, but attempts to motivate that belief, desire or action solely through the power of the words used.

You say you don't want to waffle, rather that you want to right a concise, well-written, and captivating speech.

What subjects do you study at school / uni / college? What are your hobbies? I know you say you have a "fair amount of knowledge" in the areas that you've already chosen, however you're not restricted to any particular area, right?

Theoretically, could you right an outrageous rhetoric speech for this competition? E.g., could you argue that everyone has to wear red clown wigs and purple polka dot pants from now on? Or is there some sort of criteria for this competition?
OscarF
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
Okay, well, I think the ideas you currently have are good. Debating how ISIS should be be prevented using foreign aid and tougher legislation on social media giants. As you say, this speech competition is based on the technique of rhetoric. According to Bowell and Kemp's Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide (2002), rhetoric is defined as:

Any verbal or written attempt to persuade someone to believe, desire, or do something that does not attempt to give good reasons for the belief, desire, or action, but attempts to motivate that belief, desire or action solely through the power of the words used.

You say you don't want to waffle, rather that you want to right a concise, well-written, and captivating speech.

What subjects do you study at school / uni / college? What are your hobbies? I know you say you have a "fair amount of knowledge" in the areas that you've already chosen, however you're not restricted to any particular area, right?

Theoretically, could you right an outrageous rhetoric speech for this competition? E.g., could you argue that everyone has to wear red clown wigs and purple polka dot pants from now on? Or is there some sort of criteria for this competition?
First of all thanks for such a detailed reply. As for what subjects I study/what are my hobbies. Well, those two ideas stem from what I would consider my main two hobbies, Politics - watching, debating in and out of school etc. - and Computer Science - something I've been interested in for years now. And no, I'm by no means restricted to any particular area, I love (almost) all of my subjects and could quite easily write a speech pertaining to many more topics.

Your last question was interesting, and no, there isn't actually any criteria relating to the competition. I very well could try and convince everyone to wear red clone wigs and purple polka dot pants - it could be seen as a bit outrageous or extraordinary, but maybe that's what I want anyway. Hopefully you understand a bit more about the competition, because you had some wonderful ideas and (seemingly) had some more to say!
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all thanks for such a detailed reply. As for what subjects I study/what are my hobbies. Well, those two ideas stem from what I would consider my main two hobbies, Politics - watching, debating in and out of school etc. - and Computer Science - something I've been interested in for years now. And no, I'm by no means restricted to any particular area, I love (almost) all of my subjects and could quite easily write a speech pertaining to many more topics.

Your last question was interesting, and no, there isn't actually any criteria relating to the competition. I very well could try and convince everyone to wear red clone wigs and purple polka dot pants - it could be seen as a bit outrageous or extraordinary, but maybe that's what I want anyway. Hopefully you understand a bit more about the competition, because you had some wonderful ideas and (seemingly) had some more to say!
Cool, so you're interested in Politics and Computing? What a great combo! I can already think of a number of (controversial) topics you could use in your persuasion speech:

- Companies like Amazon should somehow be nationalised because of the sheer amount of control they have, as lockdown has shown.
- Facebook should be forced to alter it's algorithms so that people don't get stuck in information echo chambers.
- Computing should be a compulsory subject taught in all schools due to us living in the 21st century and relying heavily upon technology (I personally don't understand any computing languages)

These are just a few examples of a politics-computing hybrid. I don't know where you stand on the politics spectrum, so some of my ideas may be too liberal for you.
OscarF
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
Cool, so you're interested in Politics and Computing? What a great combo! I can already think of a number of (controversial) topics you could use in your persuasion speech:

- Companies like Amazon should somehow be nationalised because of the sheer amount of control they have, as lockdown has shown.
- Facebook should be forced to alter it's algorithms so that people don't get stuck in information echo chambers.
- Computing should be a compulsory subject taught in all schools due to us living in the 21st century and relying heavily upon technology (I personally don't understand any computing languages)

These are just a few examples of a politics-computing hybrid. I don't know where you stand on the politics spectrum, so some of my ideas may be too liberal for you.
Wow, those are quite interesting - particularly the first and second because I personally don't believe in the third. I really like the second one in fact - I could see it including particular case studies of people (well maybe of one person) to almost give the speech some drama and some flair. I feel bad asking you even more, but just if you would, do you have any tips to make a speech engaging and basically not boring? Because so often in competitions like this - I've had to listen to others but haven't taken part in one until now - the speeches are just so boring, and I just want to wait for it to end. I think I can definitely get writing now, but if you do have any tips for this particular thing, I would be very interested to hear about them!
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, those are quite interesting - particularly the first and second because I personally don't believe in the third. I really like the second one in fact - I could see it including particular case studies of people (well maybe of one person) to almost give the speech some drama and some flair. I feel bad asking you even more, but just if you would, do you have any tips to make a speech engaging and basically not boring? Because so often in competitions like this - I've had to listen to others but haven't taken part in one until now - the speeches are just so boring, and I just want to wait for it to end. I think I can definitely get writing now, but if you do have any tips for this particular thing, I would be very interested to hear about them!
This link might help:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-list-examples
OscarF
Rep:
?
Once again thanks for all your help!
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Once again thanks for all your help!
Ur welcome 😊
OscarF
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
Ur welcome 😊
Hey there! I've now finished the speech and was wondering if maybe you could give me some pointers? I feel like I still need to edit it a bit to actually make it "make sense"... Anyways, here it is!
Attached files
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there! I've now finished the speech and was wondering if maybe you could give me some pointers? I feel like I still need to edit it a bit to actually make it "make sense"... Anyways, here it is!
Yeah... It's good overall. I think you make your point quite clearly about the necessity for:

"Facebook, and all its related bodies, should be forced to reengineer their algorithms in order to prevent the formation of echo chambers."

I've spotted many persuasive devices throughout, which is great, and after reading your speech I too would want Facebook to alter its algorithms. Some sections were a bit wordy, with the word "that" being repeated a lot. As a filler word, it doesn't add anything to your speech.

I like how you've got stage directions in the first half, directing yourself in the way you'll act when speaking it aloud. However, in the second half it looked like you ran out of steam and stopped notating these down.

If you've got a time limit or a word limit for the speech, just think for every paragraph, how relevant is this? What is this adding to my argument? Why have I included this in here? Would my speech be missing much if I got rid of it?

If you do this, you could cut out a few possible filler sentences and paragraphs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (172)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (511)
14.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (390)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (486)
13.9%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (170)
4.86%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (212)
6.06%
Loneliness (298)
8.52%
Financial worries (128)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (138)
3.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (158)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (194)
5.55%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (314)
8.98%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (326)
9.32%

Watched Threads