The Student Room Group

Why do people apply makeup.

Everyone knows that make up is a temporary solution and is fake and superficial, yet why do people apply it.

I feel a person's natural look is what counts. If a girl naturally has smooth and bright skin then good for her, but if she doesn't then why apply something that is going to be washed off.
Reply 1
People do it to feel confident or just to express themselves. Make up is an art form, created for the person by the person
Original post by DS91
Everyone knows that make up is a temporary solution and is fake and superficial, yet why do people apply it.

I feel a person's natural look is what counts. If a girl naturally has smooth and bright skin then good for her, but if she doesn't then why apply something that is going to be washed off.

To express themselves? To try something new? Makeup isn't necessarily used to "cover up". Expressing yourself isn't "fake" or "superficial"
Original post by DS91

Because now it's the norm people feel obliged to do so even if they don't need it. I totally agree with you for many people, wearing makeup is not necessary as they have natural beauty.
Reply 4
I wear makeup because I enjoy doing it, it's therapeutic and it's something that makes me happy.
Reply 5
Some people like wearing makeup because it makes them more confident, today's society is very judgemental so people feel forced to cover up blemishes and acne simply in order to be liked. Whereas some people use it as a form of expressing themselves, not necessarily to cover anything or they just enjoy it, some wear it for themselves, not for others. Either way, it's their choice and if it makes them happy then it should not be discouraged, despite the fact that it can be washed off :smile:
Original post by mkim123
Some people like wearing makeup because it makes them more confident, today's society is very judgemental so people feel forced to cover up blemishes and acne simply in order to be liked. Whereas some people use it as a form of expressing themselves, not necessarily to cover anything or they just enjoy it, some wear it for themselves, not for others. Either way, it's their choice and if it makes them happy then it should not be discouraged, despite the fact that it can be washed off :smile:

PREACH 100% this /\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending