The Student Room Group

AS Level Choices 2021?

Hi all...
I am deciding on what to take for A-Levels next year. I want to do a computer science degree at university, at Cambridge.
I know for definite that I want to do Computer Science and Maths, but I'm not sure what to do for my 3rd option. I was going to do business but then found out that it is not well respected. I am not sure if I should do History, because I haven't done it at GCSE. I don't want to do physics, and I think further maths will be too hard because i haven't done further maths at GCSE level. please could someone help me thanks!
Reply 1
Computer Science A level is not required but some colleges do require Further Maths at A level. If you are not doing FM because you think it will be too hard then perhaps Cambridge is not for you. (There is no requirement to study Level 2 Further Maths to take Further Maths A level).

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Computer Science A level is not required but some colleges do require Further Maths at A level. If you are not doing FM because you think it will be too hard then perhaps Cambridge is not for you. (There is no requirement to study Level 2 Further Maths to take Further Maths A level).

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

Yep I don't mind studying further maths at a level, its just that I haven't done it at GCSE so wasn't sure. Have you done further maths at A Level?
Reply 3
I think when it comes to taking Computer Science, I would take Further Maths, since some universities require it. I myself am a Year 11 student who's taking Further Maths GCSE, so not sure how reliable I can be here but happy to help in any way. What you do in Further Maths GCSE is effectively Maths A-Level, and so Further Maths A-Level would be a significant progression from A-Level Maths, and therefore you aren't required to have taken FM GCSE. I have a freind who isn't taking FM GCSE, but is taking it at A-Level because of the career she wants to go into. It does link nicely if you take Maths A-Level, and will probably help. It all really depends how good you are at Maths and how much you enjoy it. I've heard Further Maths A-Level is very challenging, but it is a highly respected A-Level. If you're aiming for Cambridge, it's probably your best option here.
Reply 4
I think if you're aiming for Cambridge it would be good to take FM a level as many other people applying there would also have it. But as someone who took FM gcse and is taking it now (currently y13) be prepared for it to be really hard. FM gcse only helps with normal maths a level so if you want to take fm a level you gotta be sure that ur confident in fm.

If ur still unsure you could always do the AS and see if you do well in it or not (but I think that might depend on if ur school will let u sit the AS exam, so talk to ur maths teachers bout that)
Reply 5
Original post by _kdavina
I think if you're aiming for Cambridge it would be good to take FM a level as many other people applying there would also have it. But as someone who took FM gcse and is taking it now (currently y13) be prepared for it to be really hard. FM gcse only helps with normal maths a level so if you want to take fm a level you gotta be sure that ur confident in fm.

If ur still unsure you could always do the AS and see if you do well in it or not (but I think that might depend on if ur school will let u sit the AS exam, so talk to ur maths teachers bout that)

sorry I meant you gotta be sure that ur confident in just maths in general
Reply 6
Original post by _kdavina
sorry I meant you gotta be sure that ur confident in just maths in

Yes I am confident in maths, I just had second thoughts of doing further maths as I haven't done it at GCSE - I understand now
Original post by enmc
I think when it comes to taking Computer Science, I would take Further Maths, since some universities require it. I myself am a Year 11 student who's taking Further Maths GCSE, so not sure how reliable I can be here but happy to help in any way. What you do in Further Maths GCSE is effectively Maths A-Level, and so Further Maths A-Level would be a significant progression from A-Level Maths, and therefore you aren't required to have taken FM GCSE. I have a freind who isn't taking FM GCSE, but is taking it at A-Level because of the career she wants to go into. It does link nicely if you take Maths A-Level, and will probably help. It all really depends how good you are at Maths and how much you enjoy it. I've heard Further Maths A-Level is very challenging, but it is a highly respected A-Level. If you're aiming for Cambridge, it's probably your best option here.

Thanks for the explanation - I enjoy maths and I am good at it so I think I should be fine

So just for clarification: I would sit all regular A-level maths exams in year 12 and then do Further Maths Exams in Year 13?
Edit: If I end up doing Computer Science Maths and FM, how many hours of regular maths would I have in Year 12?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by alevels21
Yes I am confident in maths, I just had second thoughts of doing further maths as I haven't done it at GCSE - I understand now

Thanks for the explanation - I enjoy maths and I am good at it so I think I should be fine

So just for clarification: I would sit all regular A-level maths exams in year 12 and then do Further Maths Exams in Year 13?
Edit: If I end up doing Computer Science Maths and FM, how many hours of regular maths would I have in Year 12?

No, this depends on your school. Some schools will do what you are saying but others sit both exams at the end of year 13 - contact your school to find out.

If you want to do Computer science at Cambridge, this is an incredibly competitve course - one of the hardest to get into and you should know that if you want to get in you will have to work very hard. People with 4 A*s including further maths get casually rejected. I don't want to put you off, just want you to be aware. If your school offers further maths you pretty much have to take it for A-level.

Maths, Further maths and Computer science is a good choice. Do not take business or history unless they're as a fourth A-level.
Physics instead of computer science is possible but you like computer science more which is fine.

Practice programming in your own time and start your own projects, enter as many maths/computer science competitions as you can such as UKMT, BMO etc. If you want to be the 1 in 12 that gets accepted, start getting involved now! Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Yep I don't mind studying further maths at a level, its just that I haven't done it at GCSE so wasn't sure. Have you done further maths at A Level?

I did, but a very long time ago. Level 2 Further Maths G really isn't essential for studying FM at A level. As long as you have a really strong grasp of the GCSE content you should be OK.
Reply 9

It varies from school to school, but at mine, you learn all the regular maths content in the first year but both exams are taken at the end of Year 13. I would ask your school about it to find out :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by enmc
It varies from school to school, but at mine, you learn all the regular maths content in the first year but both exams are taken at the end of Year 13. I would ask your school about it to find out :smile:

thanks:smile:! Will it be good to study economics instead of further maths? my school doesn't do economics but I might do it private
Reply 11
Original post by Incede
No, this depends on your school. Some schools will do what you are saying but others sit both exams at the end of year 13 - contact your school to find out.

If you want to do Computer science at Cambridge, this is an incredibly competitve course - one of the hardest to get into and you should know that if you want to get in you will have to work very hard. People with 4 A*s including further maths get casually rejected. I don't want to put you off, just want you to be aware. If your school offers further maths you pretty much have to take it for A-level.

Maths, Further maths and Computer science is a good choice. Do not take business or history unless they're as a fourth A-level.
Physics instead of computer science is possible but you like computer science more which is fine.

Practice programming in your own time and start your own projects, enter as many maths/computer science competitions as you can such as UKMT, BMO etc. If you want to be the 1 in 12 that gets accepted, start getting involved now! Good luck :smile:

Ok, also alongside Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths, should I take another A-Level?
Ok, also alongside Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths, should I take another A-Level?

If your school allows you to, and you want to make a more competitive application to Cambridge then I would recommend it. You can even pick an easier 4th one such as Business studies.

If you can't cope with the workload during the year, you can always drop a subject at any point and come back down to 3.

Honestly I’d say doing normal maths a level without further maths gcse will be extremely difficult for you never mind further maths. don’t do it.
Reply 14
Further maths A Level is totally doable without GCSE Further Maths. I’m managing it just fine and actually none of my friends in maths classes did it at GCSE either but are almost certainly going to get A*s. It is your maths ability and hard work that counts, not your GCSEs. The further maths GCSE only really covers AS Maths, not the second year maths or further maths content, and if you are good at maths then this shouldn’t be too hard for you anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest