Memesbygsus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello
I'm in y12 and I'm going to have to start making my uni application choices in about 6 months time.
I'm kinda lost and having trouble deciding what I wanna study. My A-Levels are Media, Psychology and English Lang. My options for what I can study are pretty limited
At first I considered doing Psych but I feel like I'd only be happy with it if I were to progress onto becoming a Clinical Psychologist, which I feel may be unrealistic as I've heard it's very competitive.
Now I'm looking at law. I hear so many opinions about it and Id like more insight into it.
Do you enjoy it? How stressful is it? Do you wish you could've chosen something else?

I've also heard it's pretty difficult to find a job in the law sector, so that's a disadvantage I'm worried about.
Flamingcheetos
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, first-year law student here, I have done law at a-level too.I do enjoy the subject but it is very very stressful, i do sometimes have my doubts about taking it but there was nothing really else i enjoyed or would have liked to do at the time. A lot of the subject is self-taught so you will be required to do a lot of reading and work, it's one of those subjects in which there is always some sort of pre-reading to, but despite this and how i do find it stressful i wouldnt choose anything else. I just think you need to have a lot of determination and drive towards this subject to succeed. feel free to ask any more questions.
cozy2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Memesbygsus)
Hello
I'm in y12 and I'm going to have to start making my uni application choices in about 6 months time.
I'm kinda lost and having trouble deciding what I wanna study. My A-Levels are Media, Psychology and English Lang. My options for what I can study are pretty limited
At first I considered doing Psych but I feel like I'd only be happy with it if I were to progress onto becoming a Clinical Psychologist, which I feel may be unrealistic as I've heard it's very competitive.
Now I'm looking at law. I hear so many opinions about it and Id like more insight into it.
Do you enjoy it? How stressful is it? Do you wish you could've chosen something else?

I've also heard it's pretty difficult to find a job in the law sector, so that's a disadvantage I'm worried about.
All I'm saying is Law is a very competitive industry to get into so make sure you do your research about its competitiveness before you apply to give yourself the best chance of becoming a solicitor after your degree.
AK56789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flamingcheetos)
Hi, first-year law student here, I have done law at a-level too.I do enjoy the subject but it is very very stressful, i do sometimes have my doubts about taking it but there was nothing really else i enjoyed or would have liked to do at the time. A lot of the subject is self-taught so you will be required to do a lot of reading and work, it's one of those subjects in which there is always some sort of pre-reading to, but despite this and how i do find it stressful i wouldnt choose anything else. I just think you need to have a lot of determination and drive towards this subject to succeed. feel free to ask any more questions.
Hi, for law at uni, I wanted to know how many hours of independent study you do for Law a week? And what is the typical teaching hours a week for this subject?
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Think about what career you want to go into. You can become a lawyer without an undergrad degree in law. This is not necessarily true of other professions.
Flamingcheetos
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AK56789)
Hi, for law at uni, I wanted to know how many hours of independent study you do for Law a week? And what is the typical teaching hours a week for this subject?
Hi, I go to Soton and on the website it states 19% teaching and 81% independent study. I have in a fortnight 5 tutorials/classes and 6 lectures but we have a lot of assigned reading to do. Also you don’t need to do a law degree to qualify do whatever you love!
HuntersShadow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dropped A-level law after a week so I can't say much personally but I know people who did law degrees. One of them is now a solicitor, she did her degree which she loved and then did a one year course (I think it's called LPC?) and I know she struggled with that. There was no funding for it so her mother had to take out a loan. I know she struggled because part of it was family law or something and the cases she had to review were really horrible.
The other two are still working as paralegals and they got those jobs within a year or 18 months after graduation.

There is a conversion course I know where you do any degree and then study the course for a year and it turns into a law degree.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
define job in law sector? asking because you can get a job but it might not be the one you're hoping for straight after grad(?).

i love studying law but in hindsight i would have chosen an easier degree as i have great writing skills but not great at memorising 1.4 million cases and i will panic in an exam. you also have to read everything under the sun before you can come up with a solid legal argument, which takes a lot of time (that's why law has a reputation for lots of reading) so not sure the amount of effort is worth it for someone like me as i could more easily score a first in a politics essay with much less work. also considering you don't need a law degree to work in the legal profession, which was my ultimate goal. AFAIK the only real benefit beyond the enjoyment of studying law (if that's what you enjoy) is the law school promotes volunteering and related work experience, law fairs, mooting competitions that can lead to awards like job shadowing and networking. also academics in law might know people who work in law so may be better able to advise/refer you. not sure if you'd have the same experience in psychology. anyway, how transferable is psychology compared to law(?) cuz i wouldn't just settle on these two professions unless you're dead set on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed